PDA

View Full Version : Formalin Doseage

Russ
04-02-2003, 03:13 AM
One of my discus recently contacted gill flukes, it was staying near the surface turned dark and breathing rapidly. I wanted to use Fluke Tabs, but the LFS didn't have it, so I bought Formalin .3. I used it as a dip treating 2 teaspoons per gallon for 50 minuets, and he seems much better now but still not eating. My question is do I then add formalin to the quarinteen tank also at a lesser dosage, and should I repeat the dip treament in a few days. Will Formalin completely eradicate the flukes or do I have to use something stronger to do that?

Russ

yogi
04-02-2003, 10:42 PM
I don't think formalin.3 is the same concentration as formalin. Flukes are almost impossible to irradicate completely, They seem to have a way of eventualy returning. You might want to read this site http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/scripts/htmlgen.exe?DOCUMENT_VM061

Russ
04-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the information, you're right formalin .3 is only 3% formaledhyde, but it seems to have worked, the fish is looking much better, but still has not eaten. I think I will give him another bath with regular formalin in a few days once he starts eating to be on the safe side.

Russ

04-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Formalin will do nothing for flukes, you have to find Praziquantel, its the best treatment you can give to your discus with little or no side effects.
Mat.

yogi
04-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Mat, I agree with part of what you said. That is prazi is probably the best treatment for flukes. It can be obtained from either Barry Illman or Jehmco. I disagree when you say formalin doesn't work on flukes. Its been proven in Aquaculture Science that is does. The problem is neither prazi or formalin kill fluke eggs, this is why they return.

Russ, I know your not a fan of live foods. You might want to try some live brine shrimp to entice that fish to eat. There raised in brackish water so they won't pass parasites on to your discus. Just rinse them first in a brine shrimp net in tap water.

04-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Good to know that Yogi.
Mat. ;)

Russ
04-05-2003, 02:48 AM
I have Prazi at home, but I read some where that you shouldn't use it on discus younger then 6 months old, my guys are around 3 months old. The fish looks much better now and started eating bloodworms, but still hasn't touched the beefheart. Do you know how long it takes for the fluke eggs to hatch? If I can catch them early enough, maybe I can whipe them out with another dose of Formalin before the baby gill flukes lay new eggs.

Russ

04-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Fluke eggs, don' get affected by Prazi, so you have to keep the medicine in the water for about three weeks to make sure you wipe them out, thats the time it takes for all the eggs to hatch.
Put Prazi every other day for eleven treatments, 50% water change is a must every day, before you add medicine.
About your fish not eating beef hart, keep offering it to them, when they will feel good and healthy ( no more flukes that is ), they will not resist to it anymore.
Mat.

brewmaster15
04-05-2003, 10:45 AM
Hi Russ,
I have used prazi on fry that were days old and I know of others that have also... none have mentioned any harm from using it....just use it in water , not acetone.

-al

Russ
04-06-2003, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the advice,
I think I will start Prazi tomorrow.

Russ