PDA

View Full Version : Jack wattleys discus formula cubes?

Fish Freak
04-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Hey all

I was wondering if annyone has used the jack wattleys discus cubes? I wanna give some variaty to the discus.

Thanks
Josh

brewmaster15
04-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi Josh!

Mine weren't too keen on it. what do you currently feed?

-al

Aquatic_Design
04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi Josh,
I am using it now but probably will not reorder it. Most of my discus will only eat it if starved. A few don't care what you put in the tank and will eat it right up. Basically it is just beefheart with quite a few additives.
HTH
Donna :)

Fish Freak
04-02-2003, 08:48 PM
I am not feeding right now cus I have no discus till may. But il remember the info you gave me.

Thanks
Josh

DISCUS USA
04-02-2003, 08:54 PM
i remember reading ingerdients jack wattley discus cubes and it says it has garlic in it ,maybe your fish dont like garlic ,but i would make an effort to get them used to it because it strengthens their immune system therefore makes them more resistant to sickness and disease.dont want to sound like an expert but thats what i was told by breeders and importers. ;)i prefer to incorporate garlic in my own beefheart recipe or you can get it done for you already.

brewmaster15
04-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Josh...

heres what I feed...juvs

flake...
hbh meat lovers
hbh discus and angel formula
earth worm flake

tetra bits
jehmcos better sinking bits
Hikari discus Red

frozen... san fran bay brine shrimp, hikari blood worms,
san fran marine cuisine, Mysis relicta, beef heart mix, deer, shrimp, and occasionally squid.

live ... earthworms (compost ), red worms (culture), California Blackworms.

adults get the same but no flakes....they don't care for them.

I'm probably missing something, but its a start

hth,
al

Aquatic_Design
04-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Hector,
It's not the garlic with my fish. I use garlic in my beefheart mix and they eat that all the time. It could be the spinach or just about anything else.
Donna :)

henryD
04-02-2003, 10:21 PM
You know I bet our fish eat better than some people.....

I must be hunrgy because some of that sound good.

rsawest
04-03-2003, 03:26 PM
I use it, and my fish like to eat it.

It's very messy though, so I only do it before a w/c. It leaves a film.

I believe that it's the JW Community Formula that has the garlic. I haven't seen the Discus Formula with garlic. Or it just may be my lfs doesn't carry the Discus Formula with garlic.

HTH

allan_mark76
04-03-2003, 04:03 PM
It's okay... I use to use it but then I found out the magic secret ---> you can MAKE your OWN ! ! ! For the price of buying the 7oz cubes you might as well make your own stuff.... all that you have to do is read the ingredients and make it all up yourself...you'd be suprised as to how much you can make at a low cost. JMHO.

A-

Geordiebloom
04-03-2003, 06:26 PM
If somebody told me 1 year ago that my wife and I would be grinding up beefheart and mixing it with shrimp and other rather gross things to feed FISH!! of all things,well I'd say you just didn't know us :crazy:

That having been said.............

Once I got passed the smell and looks of it :puke:
we both really enjoyed making food for "our children".
And they almost jump right out of the tank to get some of "Momma's secret formula"and it has a good heapin' helpin' of garlic as well as spinach in it. And the other great point is it sure is ALOT CHEAPER! :thumbsup:

Geordie B

04-03-2003, 06:28 PM
If your wife is doing that for you, she's definitely a "keeper".... ;)

Geordiebloom
04-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Ya she has passed the final tests,and I think I will keep her. I guess your saying not too many wives out there are willing to grind BH and other goodies with you for the sake of "the children"?

Geordie B

allan_mark76
04-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Oh man she's totally a keeper.... do you know how many times I get the dreaded "STINK EYE" for working in the kitchen on my mixes... Geezus I've even resorted to doing the deed when she's not at home rushing to clean everything up and disinfect the kitchen before she comes home. Then all of a sudden once she enters the door **BAM** I get the dreaded eye...."you've been making that stinky fish food" look.... It's like a sixth sense or something cuz I feel I covered my tracks and next thing you know I'm trying to get myself out of a whole...

fcdiscus
04-04-2003, 02:52 PM
I start fish on the Wattley discus at about 2 months- and they eat it fine. Will not eat my formula! I am a bad cook. Frank ::)

Smokey
04-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Long ago I read an article, by J.Wattely, on how he prepares his beefheart receipe. The main ingredient was beefheart and raw garlic cloves; mixed with vegtables[ carrots, peppers, etc.]. He also added vitiams and afew other things.
One thing he was not to adoment about, was the use of spinach; for some reason which escapes me.

Since then, 1995, I have been making my own beefheart food.
My latest batch consisted of:
10 pounds beefheart [cut, deviened, defatted].
3 large fresh garlic cloves, complete - [remove skin from the individual pieces].
1 large red sweet peper, no seeds
1 large yellow pepper, no seeds
1 teaspoon, 5 mil., vitiam C.
Some iceburg lettuce - which the discus hated.
Shrimp - sorry did not have any.

I keep all incredient frozen, much easier to put through the grinder.
I pass the beefheart through the grinder 3 times.
I pass the garlic/ veggies through once.
Then I mix all incredients together, by hand.
Then I put the mix through the grinder 2 more times. This allows for the beefheart/veggies/vitiams to be completely mixed together. And grinds everything into smaller pieces. About the size of a fry's mouth. If the beefheart is too big , they cannot ingest it. The Adults find it easier to digest smaller pieces... Their ''stools'' show the results.

Smokey

btw .... wecome Geordie B to simplydiscus.
another Canuk!!!

daddyg70
04-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Just got 6 new fish from Jeff and introduced 4 cubes of Jack's formula to them one hour before WC and they ALL ate it.

Greg ;D