PDA

View Full Version : re:wild santarem/leopard spawn

04-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Hope I'm not jinxing it by posting....My wild red santarem and a red leopard that I borrowed from Dave_C spawned earlier this evening....looks like about 100-150 eggs...it's been a long wait...they've been doing the "Ike & Tina Show"(fighting often violently) for three weeks now, before finally doing the deed...

attached pic....

daninthesand
04-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Fantastic! I watched these two duke it out this afternoon. Kinda like WWF except not fake.....hahahahaha! Those pix don't do them justice at all. Too much spawning urine I guess.

Way to go _david_

Put me on the list for fry.

Daniel

04-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Damn, that's a fine picture. btw, yes, you did jinx them.

Dave

04-03-2003, 02:45 AM
what no urine jokes, dave?? :o i'll make the leap of faith and pretend you're being sincere about the picture ;D

busy night--red-spotted-diamond snake pair just finished spawning also... ;)

sorry another blurry picture...eggs are facing the other way...

gary1218
04-03-2003, 08:07 AM
I guess every once in a while it pays to be patient :) Nice job Dave. Those should be some interesting fry. Make sure you keep us updated with pics.

GARY

04-03-2003, 09:27 AM
-david- Which one is the male? Wild? What's the parameters. Did he come from Santarem?
Jimmy.

04-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Jimmy,

The Santarem is the male. It's wild and came from David Webber, beyond that I don't know where it came from. I got 5 of them over a year ago and sold one to _david_. He's had much better luck with him then I did.

Dave

thebaglady
04-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Dave Webber/Dale Webber...do I know that name? Alzheimers is setting in.

04-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Jimmy: My fish have been spawning in straight tap water. The temp is about 82-84. Below are some of the other water parameters. For some reason my municipal water plant was unwilling to mail me a report, so my friend Dan phoned them up and told them some lies to get them to send him one(hahahaha) it's attached..make of it what you will, most of it's greek to me...

baglady: david webber is the dude in new york that sells wild discus and rays.

thebaglady
04-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Thank you _David_ I was thinking out loud. I believe I may have been thinking about Dale Jordan. I'm bad with names, but can remember faces real well!

Visuals are what do it for me and your red boy is awful pretty. Hope the spawn hatches and the fry do well.

Mattzilla
04-03-2003, 10:10 PM
david, do you have any other pictures of your red santarem?? if you do i would love to see them. thanks mate

04-03-2003, 10:16 PM
here you go:

04-03-2003, 11:52 PM
-david-: You're breaking all the rules with that kind of readings in your water. My water is similar with yours. My old wild brown could only breed sucessful in tap water. No body believed me. They all want to get some fry if they were bred in tap water. But no body actually came.
Jimmy.

04-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Jimmy, It sure has made things easier, not having to mess around with the water...
Dave_C has fry from my first two out of three spawns that he's growing out...He had heard from somewhere that you get alot of deformities with spawns in water this hard, but so far we're not seeing that...I guess time will tell...
The latest spawn the hatch rate was over 120...not bad for hard water...

Mattzilla
04-04-2003, 01:07 AM
thanks david, that's a beautiful fish

04-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Hi David,

that is almost like my water.

http://www.lvvwd.com/html/wq_water_analysis.html (http://www.lvvwd.com/html/wq_water_analysis.html)

The water looks brown in the tank.

Do you use peat?

alex

daninthesand
04-05-2003, 01:03 AM
Hi Alex.

I know that david won't be able to respond for a couple of days. So I will take the liberty of answering for him. He does not use peat. His water is actually not yellow at all. Its the camera. Its an oldie and tends to make things appear more yellow than they really are. David's water is clear....

Daniel

04-05-2003, 01:17 AM
Cool, thanks

alex

04-06-2003, 08:44 AM
santarem/leopard eggs turned into wigglers while i was out of town, and so did the eggs from the red-spotted diamond pair....both spawns should go free-swimming some time late monday/tuesday ;)

"peat in my water"....hahahahahahaha....inadequate amount of light when i'm taking pictures...

any further queries can be directed to my publicist dan....lol

daninthesand
04-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Went to _david_ 's on Monday. Took some pix of the Wild red santerim, and the red leopard who have wrigglers right now. Here's some pix that do justice to these fine fish.

Enjoy!

Daniel

daninthesand
04-09-2003, 10:55 PM
;D

04-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Nice pics. btw, my Leopard female is suing for spousal abuse at the hands of that brute Santarem. Just look at the shredded fins on that poor girl!

daninthesand
04-09-2003, 11:04 PM
hahahhahahahhaha! I'll be a witness in court!

CARY_GLdiscus
04-10-2003, 01:15 AM
GOOD JOB DAVID!
looking good ;)

Jimmy dave's water is not really that hard its just low in bad salts that hurt discus spawns and high in salts that don't
I would call davids water Not to soft and not to hard. ;D

Jimmy Your right on the Money about some males being more potent then others in harder water and soft I agree.

TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

04-10-2003, 11:20 AM
nice job on the pictures Dan ;) thanks for posting them...they put my "urine filtered" pictures to shame :o :D

p.s. all the fry are free-swimming and attached to the parents as of yesterday...as far as i know this is the leopard's first time as a parent, and she's doing great....they're not wailing on each other anymore, so her fins are healing up, too... :)