PDA

View Full Version : More luck with peat

Rod Coleman
04-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Hi folks,

After a little initial success last year (two batches of turqs), I had a long spell of batches of eggs that failed from various pairs. Tried methylene blue, formalin, isolated hatching, crossing my fingers, jumping up and down... and anything else I could think of:P ??? ::)

Finally (why didn't I think earlier) I used peat. Hatchings have really improved. I can't easily treat my prep drum so I just put a bag of peat on a small power head in the tank when they spawn. It drops the pH and hardness a bit. It makes the tanks look a bit mysterious too! ;D

So far I have the PB babies (see other post) and 6 SS x Cobalt babies I pulled when the parent produced another spawn.

Other pairs spawning too - turq x alanquer and blue turqs.

The next challenge is to get the wigglers up to free swimming and then good parenting. I think they all just need a bit more experience so I'm cutting them a bit of slack.

About 20 turq wigglers hatched this morning and alanquer female laid a huge batch of eggs yesterday. Yep, she really enjoyed the 120 wigglers last time! :o Maybe the pH fluctuations upset them a bit but they certainly don't give any sign of discomfort - just tend the eggs, hatch em, fan 'em and eat 'em.

Regards to all,

Rod

Aqua Messiah
04-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Rod,
I too have had much better success since I started using peat. It comes as close to replicating their native water as possible, if you think about it. If you have an RO unit, email me and I will share my design for a homemade peat filter. It uses pressure to force water through the peat and can be set up on your prep tub, allowing the water to be treated BEFORE it is added to the tank. Oh yeah, and it costs about $12 to make. ;D ;D ;D
Rob

04-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi Rob,

if you don't mind i would like to know how to make this peat filter, so you've got mail.

thanks

alex

Rod Coleman
04-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Yes they seem to love the blackwater conditions.

I have to shine a torch in to see what's happening at the back of the tank!

The fry-eating habit is a bit frustrating though. Had wigglers when I went away for the weekend and none when I came back tonight. Eggs due to hatch tomorrow look good so I'm keeping my fingers crossed again.

Rob, I've thought about treating the prep tank but I don't really want my non breeders in blackwater. I'd be interested to find out more about your system though.

Regards
Rod

aloha_discus
04-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Aloha Rod, I too am interested in your system please ;D. I am happy that this system is working for you. I have many adult discus that are starting to pair up and would like to increase there chances any way possible.

Mahalo Ike ;D