PDA

View Full Version : Defrosted Foods

Eva
04-03-2003, 09:50 AM
Hello all,

I just received an order of partially frozen bloodworms and shrimp. As soon as I got them I threw them into the freezer.

Is it safe to still feed them?

Very Fishy
04-04-2003, 12:28 PM
I would think that as long as they were still cold/partially frozen, they should be ok.

Smokey
04-10-2003, 02:41 PM
No problem, the food will still be good and ok to use.

Jeff
04-13-2003, 01:09 AM
I would not feed them. If they are not froze upon arrival I would through mine out. I think you are taking your chances. Bacteria starts growing when it thaws and then you freeze it and feed it. Not a good combination.

Fishaholic
04-13-2003, 01:19 AM
I would not feed them. If they are not froze upon arrival I would through mine out. I think you are taking your chances. Bacteria starts growing when it thaws and then you freeze it and feed it. Not a good combination.

But this food was not completely thawed. I would use it.

balog
04-18-2003, 10:20 AM
I HAVE A SAME QUESTION WITH DEFREEZING FOR 8 HOURS DUE A REGRIGARATOR PROBLEM....WHAT U THINK?

Smokey
04-18-2003, 12:20 PM
For what it's worth -
two different points have been brought up:

A - Using bloodworms - that arrived ''partically'' - ''not-frozen''.
and
B - Using bloodworms - ''not - frozen'' for up to 8 hours.

First - A - IMO - if the bloodwroms arrived ''COLD'' and still in the sealed package; then re-frozen; yes they ''could '' be safe to use.

Second - B - IMO - if the bloodworms/food has been unfrozen for 8 hours[or so]; I would be extremely cautious in using such a food.

I have been through this situation before, using common judgement, I made a decision to use the slightly thawed - then refrozen - bloodworms. No ill side effects were noticed. touch wood.
However, and I state however - if the bloodworms were completely thawed and had been in an environment where the temperature was over 40F. I have discarded the worms.

To be safe - all my bloodworms and beefheart diet is feed to my discus still frozen!