PDA

View Full Version : Bloated stomach...

NTORIUSB
04-05-2003, 01:56 AM
One of my 5-6" Leopard SS has an extremely bloasted stomach... I don't know if it is constipated or maybe a tapeworm not allowing it to pass feces.

I noticed 3 white tips sticking out of the vent ... but I am not sure what this is because it wasn't sticking out more than a 32nd of an inch. Should I use an anti-parasitic or epsom salt to help. He/she is swimming like normal, but I don't think it's eating. It's been like this for about 3 days now and I think it's time to get involved....

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Carol_Roberts
04-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Epsom salt can't hurt. ONe tesapoon per 10 gallons - repeat after 4 hours if needed.

NTORIUSB
04-05-2003, 07:35 PM
I treated with epsom salt 2x today... I only saw a small amount of feces (1/4")... He isn't looking to good either.... Shouls I do any W/C in between eposom salt treatments.. and how many can I do before I have to discontinue??

Thanks Carol... and anyone else who respondes.

I went to a store today that has a website that offers discus. (Email me for who it is).. I couldn't believe how BAD the fish they offered were. I would be ashamed to show people ,my fish if the looked as unhealthy and deformed as they looked. I was a little pissed due to the fact I drove 2 hrs. in search of a place that offers good quality discus at a good price... O ya did I mention the price??? $70 for a 2-3" Marlboro red??? Come on!!! They had 3 tanks riddled with black fish all the others had fin rot along with HITH... UNBELIEVABLE...

I got they're name from a guy at another "Favorite subject" of simply... Discushunter.com!!!

Brian

Carol_Roberts
04-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi Brian:
You can do water changes. I don't think the epsom salt will help - sounds like maybe a bacterial infection. I've heard of folks using Kanacyn . . . .

NTORIUSB
04-06-2003, 01:25 AM
one pic..

NTORIUSB
04-06-2003, 01:26 AM
two pic..

NTORIUSB
04-06-2003, 01:26 AM
three pic..

NTORIUSB
04-06-2003, 01:27 AM
See how the scales have bulged all the way up into his body... What to do... what to do????

Ardan
04-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi,
I have treated for bloat using Kanacyn. Double dose the first dose, then follow instructions. (2wks)Temp 82F.
No wc until day 5.
You can keep epsom salt in the water. I used 2 tblsp/10 gal.

hth
it could be a blockage from internal worms too. Mix food with panacur http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1138

NTORIUSB
04-06-2003, 11:56 AM
He is looking a little better today.. There is a small amount of feces coming out of him right know and it looks see through with a yellowish green tint to it..

Not a good pic but....

Ardan
04-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi,
my fish had the yellow green feces too. Dropsy is suspected (bacterial) use kanacyn.

Yellow feces can also be nematodes (capillaria worms). Panacur is effective if mixed in food.

hth

NTORIUSB
04-06-2003, 02:11 PM
I treated with some "BioSpheres" from Mardel last night and I noticed this mornig he looked considerably better.. It says it's specifically for bacterial probs like..... Fin and tail rot, popeye,Dropsy, ulcers and mouth and body fungus.. It's active ingredients are Sulfadimidine and Trimethoprim.

His color looks better and he is more active than he has been in the past 4 days, so I am hoping this is a good sign..

Will keep you posted...

Brian :)

NTORIUSB
04-07-2003, 07:40 PM
He is not eating.... Not sure if he will get better if he won't eat. I think some of his swelling has gone down, but he has been very lacadazical (sp?). I can reach in and pull him out with my hand and he won't fight to get away. SHould I force feed him with something?? I haven't seen him eat in at least 3-4 days... He is starting to teeder todder to one side now.... I think it may be time for extreme action???

HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Brian

Carol_Roberts
04-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Food is not going to help. He can't digest and eliminate the food he has eaten in the last couple of weeks. It may be too late for anything. Try a good antibiotic like kanacyn

NTORIUSB
04-08-2003, 09:29 AM
He pooped about a 1 inch strand of clear string with little yellow goobers on it last night. He still fighting.

do the yellow gooberish clear stringy feces mean Dropsy?? Or something else??

Thanks,
Brian

Carol_Roberts
04-08-2003, 05:26 PM
It means infection - probably dropsy or something similiar.

NTORIUSB
04-09-2003, 07:52 AM
this morning he had a very thick bright yellow string of feces about an inch long hanging from his vent. Before it was real clumpy, this time it was a solid tube.

I can't find the Kanacyn anywhere around here. nobody has it. They all carry Mardel products, so I bought some Maracyn-Two.

IS the yellow feces a sign of nemetodes??? Is Panacur the only med that can help that?? I would like to be able to find something, just in case I can't find that.

Thanks again,
Brian

Ardan
04-10-2003, 06:27 AM
HI

IMO, the yellow feces is a good sign it could be nematodes.
You can also use flubendazole for that. (10 days )
Pipzine in the food may work also??

The longer it goes the more likely it becomes internal bacteria infection (dropsy)

hth

NTORIUSB
04-10-2003, 12:09 PM
He has shown signs of improvement. the swelling is going down and he is more energetic. I have yet to see him eat anything, but ne may be a little PO about being by himself.

How long should I leave him in the hospital tank? He has been in there since Saturday, and I would like to return him to the tank with the rest of his buddies.. BUT I definetly don't want to get them sick either... Should I do a preventative treatment in the tank with the other discus in it?? There are a total of 13...ranging in size from 6 at 6" to 6 at 4" and 1 at about 2" (stunted)....

Thanks,
Bri ::)

Carol_Roberts
04-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Keep him in the hospital tank until the bloat is gone. If it is worms treat the other tank too.

NTORIUSB
04-10-2003, 02:18 PM
I don't think it's worms.. I haven't seen any casings or anything to make me think that... I did treat the others with Prazi on Sunday.

I love the pic under your name.. What Strain PB is that??

B

Carol_Roberts
04-10-2003, 05:11 PM
I think Ray Kosaka had it listed as a leopard pigeon. I don't know what they're called these days :)

NTORIUSB
04-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Well he has been eating good the last couple of days and seems to be back to almost normal. I watched him excrete some feces today that was almost back to normal reddish brown... just a hint of yellow...

Here is a pic of him today...

Check out my other post in the photyo gallery of my new babies I picked up yesterday!!! I love them!!!

Thanks Carol an Ardan,

Bri

Carol_Roberts
04-13-2003, 07:57 PM
I'm glad he's better, Brian. Which medication worked for you?

NTORIUSB
04-13-2003, 11:23 PM
I used a combo of Binox and Maracyn-two... Within 2 days of using it he should major signs of improvement... I am pleased!!!!

I just looked at some of his feces and it's completely normal again... I will move him back to the main tank here in the next couple of days...

Thanx again,
Bri ;D