PDA

View Full Version : blue eyed discus or crazy owner

liberal111
04-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Hey every one I just recieved some mail order fish upon arrival a few had slightly cloudy eyes. I told the breeder and he advised me to use the readily availible medication clout. Well I went out and bought some and applied the correct dossage to the tank about seven hours ago and now two of the fishes eyes have turned blue!!! These too fish are the youngest and least colorful of the bunch. I suppose they could have had blue eyes in the first place I just have not been observative enought to notice untill this moment, but I have never seen any fish with blue eyes before and it just seems wiered to me. Has any one else used clout and if so have you expreinced these side effects. Thanks

discus_nw
04-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Clout is a last resort medication as far as I am concerned, and I would never use it for your symptoms. Most likely, large daily water changes with the addition of 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gal will take care of this problem. Melafix will also cure this problem nicely as it will tattered fins from shipping damage and/or fin rot.

Please send me a private message as to who advised you to treat with Clout. I have someone in mind, and I just want to confirm my suspicions.

Thank you.

discus_nw
04-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Oh yes, by the way, Clout will strip the color from the eyes temporarily. ;)

liberal111
04-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice I will do a water change and put activated carbon in the tank to remove the clout. However, in all fairness to the breeder I recieved prompt replies to all my questions and supperb customer service despite the little tidbit about using clout. The fish where professionely packaged and arrived with little sighn of stress besides a cloudy eye or two which is to be expected on occasion. After all they had just flown a few thosand miles in a bag thats in a box. The breeder demonstrated that he cared for the fish and the home they recieved and the fish themselves where of respectible quality.

liberal111
04-07-2003, 11:21 PM
I must also be mentioned that I had written about one discus looking slightly dark and that this fish has seemed to lighten up a bit since the short clout treatment.

fcdiscus
04-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Quite honestly, if you received fish with cloudy eyes- you got fish that should never have been shipped and a refund is in order. JMO-Frank

liberal111
04-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Okay maybe I am being a bit soft on this guy I will talk to him and try to sort every thing out.

discus_nw
04-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Push him. I know him from a past dealing. He did make a 50% refund to me one year later, so he isn't "all" bad.