PDA

View Full Version : HI-BEEN FEEDING REDWORMS AND

Elaine_Bryant
04-08-2003, 01:51 AM
;D Hi all, just checking in and let everyone know my discus are doing fine and growing, thanks to the discus forums I have learned to keep them alive...!!!!!! I've been feeding tetra bits, bloodworms, ON one and mix in some ON two and a lot of redworms. Has anyone seen a difference feeding redworms versus blackworms? I know both are good but does one make the fish grow more than the other? Those of you that feed redworms, what do you feed the worms before feeding them to your discus? I havent been letting the worms "clean out" and haven't had any problems. thanks all; I'll try and post more often. :-[ Elaine Bryant

discus_nw
04-08-2003, 02:24 AM
My guess is that what you will see feeding red worms vs. blackworms is you will have more disease free fish. You'll also save money. ;) :)

BlueTurquoise
04-08-2003, 02:31 AM
I tend to agree about the money factor. Red worms are definately a cheaper option esp if you culture them yourself.

Chong

Rod
04-08-2003, 04:44 AM
Hi Elaine,

Nutritionally blackworms and red worms are quite similar, meaning both of them will definately acheive good health and growth rate in your discus. I think the red worms being larger are slightly more chewy to eat for the younger discus, so blackworms prob are better in that case. But discus larger than 3" won't have any problems eating them. Depending on the source of your blackworms, there is possibly a greater disease risk using blackworms compared to red worms.

HTH

Rod

Rod
04-08-2003, 04:48 AM
btw i don't bother cleaning the red worms out either, just wash them off, then chop them up. Any muck is syphoned out later that day.

BlueTurquoise
04-08-2003, 10:34 PM
heh more fibre if you don't clean them hehe

Chong

Elaine_Bryant
04-09-2003, 12:41 AM
I'm glad to hear you guys don't clean them out either....that part was worrying me. I go thru the worm bin and pick out the very small ones, so they"re about the size of the black worms, for the younger fish. For the older ones I've thrown some pretty big redworms in there and by morning they're gone. Don't discus have teeth? I think I read once that they do. April, where are you? Karin hasn't been on the puter in ages but shes about caught up with all her projects (she's the energizer bunny who doesn't need sleep) ya all take care.......Elaine Bryant

April
04-09-2003, 01:59 AM
Hi Elaine. im here. nice to see you about again.
tell Karin and Harry i said hi. and when shes caught up on all her projects....to come up and do some of my stuff that hasnt gotten done.
Well.tell her to at least stop in at the forum.

Mike_Wells
04-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Mat enough on the blackworms already. :-*

Mike

discus_nw
04-10-2003, 02:35 AM
Mat? I thought Mat was banished to purgatory. :o