PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Pigeon Blood Discus?

FischAutoTechGarten
04-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Folks,
Operating under the mantra that there really is NO dumb question, other than the one not asked I submit the following:

What is the origin of the term Pigeon Blood, as in Pigeon Blood Strain of Discus? How was it developed?

I've never found an answer and would like to know. A search here hasn't turned up anything. I apologize if I've overlooked the obvious answer..it isn't for lack of trying.

04-08-2003, 11:03 PM
OD: Here is the link. HTH
Jimmy.
http://article.dphnet.com/cat-02/pigeon-blood.shtml

Jason
04-09-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm not so sure that's true Jimmy, when I was in vietnam I was told it was created there with an unusual looking Thai red royal blue and a albino that came from wild browns so who knows?

fishfarm
04-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Jason, it is well know that Kitti developed the Pigeon blood discus from one ugly almost black mutation he saw in a friends tank and cross breed it with his own stock to produce a yellow/orange fish with black peppering. Thru selective breeding he developed an almost yellow fish. He named it Orange-red and in transaltion from Thai we get Pigeonblood, He actually does not like the name,but it stuck, Due to Kitti we have all the yellow, orange and red fish of today. He's one of the most inovative breeders of the last 30 years. Ken

Jason
04-09-2003, 10:28 AM
ok Ken,

but I'm sure Lo Wing Yat, Gan Khian Tiong, and countless other lesser known breeders in Asia and S.E. Asia have their own "versions" of the story.

but since you import from Kitti go with his ;)

henryD
04-09-2003, 12:07 PM
has anyone recreated the pigeon? meaning if you were strictly breeding with wild discus.

crimson cross
04-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Kitti is and always will be known as the developer of PB and Marlboro Red strains.

fishfarm
04-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Jason, I would not say Sunny Lo or the Gan brothers were lesser know!! After my first breeding success with Wattley's fish, I bred some of the Gan's hifin Blues, Very impressive fish. Back then all domestic strains were Blue or cultivated wild types. But Kitti developed the Pigeonblood and the Marlboro Red and introduced a whole new gene pool to discus breeders that has resulted in the resurgence in the discus hobby we see today. Regardless of what you think of Kitti. The history has already been written. Ken

Jason
04-09-2003, 05:28 PM
yeah interesting stuff, I remember reading one breeders theory that the PB mutation came from all the heavy hormone use that was going on in s.e. asia at the time.

One thing for sure, it did re-start the discus craze, and did it ever explode quick onto the market, I saw a PB in person a good 3 years before I ever saw a blue Diamond