PDA

View Full Version : Who owns a scale?

daninthesand
04-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Ok.

I keep reading how everyone mixes 250mg of metro with "100 grams" of beefheart. Really now, do people have miniature scales and they weigh the beefheart?

How much beefheart is 100 grams? What, an inch block? A 2 x2 inch slab 1/4 inch thick? Any ideas?

Daniel

brewmaster15
04-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi Daniel,

its far easier to use this conversion...

1gram per 4 oz of food.

Then alls you have to do is have your meat vendor trim the meat well, and they'll weigh it there, then price it.

hth,
al

ps one thing you could do is take your beef heart mix, box it ... take it to the post office... Have them weigh it... go out to the car, and remove it. Then have the box weighed empty. :)

Smokey
04-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Good o'l Brew.....always there with great advice.

However, can you imagine the look on the butcher's face when you ask for 4 oz. of trimed beefheart... Remember those fellows carry ''BIG'' knives.
Ohhh - just say your a discus obseccisionest t t tt... lol.

Actually - I use a powder loading scale,[ for loading ammunition]. A RCBS 10-10 scale. very accurate... by using a scale to measure the amount of beefheart, fed to the discus, I keep a record and this allows me to see their growth rate/food intake.

Just for the record.

Smokey

Discusgeo
04-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Most Post Offices have a scale in the area where you buy stamps out of the machine or where people have P.O Boxes. If you feel daring you can take your Beefheart there after hours. We had a guy measuring drugs (coke) on it one night so the Postal Inspectors set up survielance cameras in one P.O to get it on recoed. He was busted on a Saturday evening.

Fish_Fin-atic
04-09-2003, 10:30 PM
You can pick up pretty good, accurate scales at one of those weightwatchers places. They have analog ones for about $20 (CND) and digital readout ones for about twice that. They are meant for small measurements. I found this out from a personal fitness trainer who had to weigh every meal she ate because she was about to enter a competition, and had to limit her carbs or whatever.

Alternately, go to the post office with a jar of screws or nuts or bolts, whatever (as long as they're all roughly the same size and weight). Bring an empty jar with you, and add enough of the bolts so that when you add just ONE more to the jar, you go OVER 4 grams (or whatever weight you're shooting for) then take that last bolt out so that you know you're as close to the weight as possible without going over. If you're really ambitious, bring several jars of similar screws/nuts/bolts in ever-decreasing sizes. Continue the above process, adding to the jar all your items from larger to smallest items. In this way, you can make an unbelievably close weight approximation to the weight you're shooting for. (I learned this trick from repairing and calibrating countless grocery scanner/scales). If you're insane, you can finish it off by adding grains of sand one grain at a time until you go over, then take out the last grain :o

Then take the approx. 4 gram (or whatever) jar home with you, and make a make-shift scale out of a flat ruler over a pencil. Put the jar on one end, and the beafheat on the other. When the ruler sits level over the pencil, you have 4 grams (or whatever).

PHEW! That was a LONG-WINDED explaination .... I'd buy the scale if I were you. ;D

Smokey
04-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Hahahaha- quite a story Fish_fin_atic... it will work...

I just set the I-beam scale setting for 4 grams/ and add to the pan. exactly the same ammount every time. no pencil needed. hehehehehe. besides I needs my pencil for cleaning my ears ...lol.

Or you could go to the local ''Head Shop'' and buy a hand held scale for a few dollars. (this is what I heard....never been in one myself...honestly... no really...never)!!!!

Smokey

daninthesand
04-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Smokey....ah...the source for the name is so much clearer now LOL!

I saw one of those too. In a hydroponics store when I was looking for drippers....hee hee!

korbi_doc
04-10-2003, 01:05 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi guys, I do. Have a gram scale which is a pia to use. The office has a mail scale, & I have one of those small food scales for the kitchen. & I don't mix BH. Too much work, I'd rather buy it, boy! am I lazy!!!!!!!!!!!! actually don't use it anymore since I started with CBWs lol, Dottie ::) ::) :o :o ;D ;D

04-10-2003, 02:22 PM
How much is 100gm of BH? ??? ???Just treat it like water. A regular 8oz drinking cup is quivalent to 453 gm. Divided the portion into 4 and half. You'll find 250 mg of medication is a lot for 100mg of BH. This is not precisely 100gm, but it will give you an idea pretty close of what you want, save you a trip to weight watcher, post office with a bunch of screws ;D ;D ;D without infuriating the postmaster and still able to keep it fresh. 8) :P
Jimmy.