PDA

View Full Version : Grape wood

Lou
04-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi all,

I recently started using sandblasted grape wood branches in my discus tank. I had to soak them for a week to remove some tannins and to get them to sink but they seem fine now. They look great, like tree roots poking into the water. They are also cheaper than most other types of wood available. My question is, has anyone had any long term experience with grape wood? Any drawbacks, any negatives? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
-Lou

ronrca
04-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Have not heard of grape wood! Sounds interesting though! Its not the same as 'gripe' wood is it? LOL! Do you have any pics by any chance?

ChloroPhil
04-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Grapewood's good stuff. If you can find pieces that fit your idea of attractive it's one of the better woods out there for aquarium/terrarium use.

Ronrca,
Grapewood is actually the thick parts of a grape vine. As such it's one of the best renewable wood sources for pet use. :) I bet if you go to a chain pet shop and look in the terrarium section for a wood that's got a pale color with some darker sections of bark you'll be looking at grapewood.

Lou
04-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That really makes me feel better. :D I will post a picture as soon as I am able.

Best,
Lou

Dennis_Hardenburge
04-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Lou
I have several large pices of grape wood and have used it for over four years now.
The only problem I have found with it is it takes a long time to get it to the point where it will stay down, but then my pieces are about 7 inches thick.
Dennis

thebaglady
04-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Lou, Hi.

Did the grapewood come sandblasted or is that something you did yourself?

Also, where did you obtain it? Thanks, Jen K.

Lou
04-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Dennis!

Jen K. - The wood came that way. You can buy it either sandblasted (clean) or not (covered in bark). I think the non-sanblasted type would be too messy in a fish tank. I picked up most of the pieces from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply, http://www.blackjungle.com
I also picked up a few pieces at a LFS because I was looking for a very specific shape and size. It is sometimes referred to as sandblasted grape vine.

Best,
-Lou