PDA

View Full Version : Eheim Filter Media

TnMark
04-10-2003, 11:23 PM
I use an Eheim 2028 canister filter with the recommended media (fine pad, substrate, blue pad, efumech) and a prefilter and find it doesn't do a great polishing job. Do you think replacing one og the 2 layers of substrate with a micron or sponge filter would help and not reduce the filter flow too much? I do clean out the filter every 2 weeks or so. Thanks.

ronrca
04-11-2003, 10:14 AM
I have a Filstar XP-3 filter! All I use as filter media is:
1st-coarse foam/foam
2nd-bio/filter floss
3nd-filter floss

It does a great job in keeping my water polished! Using very fine media as the last stage in the filter will certainly help polish the water! ;)

Don_Lee
04-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Putting a prefilter/sponge on the intake might help, as well as adding some more of the efisynth material to your media.

Don

TnMark
04-11-2003, 02:27 PM
I use the eheim prefilter which is a small pourous sponge. Will a finer sponge decrease the filter flow?

Is the last stage the bottom layer or the top?

ronrca
04-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Fine media tends to clog much quicker than coarse media therefore the first stage should be the coarse media followed by fine media. This will help to prevent clogging of the entire filter. It will 'spread' the junk out allowing water to still flow thru! Therefore, fine media should always be near the end stages of the filters. Pre-filters should use coarse media.

HTH! ;)

TnMark
04-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Thanks! :D