PDA

View Full Version : Build your own 190 gal Acrylic tank

Discusgeo
04-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Here is a good link with pictures on building a nice 190 gal Acrylic tank.
http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiytank/bndiytank.htm

TKD-MAN
04-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Has anyone made an Arcylic tank?
If so is it hard to do? ???

Paulio
04-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Has anyone made an Arcylic tank?
If so is it hard to do? ???

Its not bad to do. Best thing to do is get the right solvent and some scraps from your local plastic joint to practice with. I have made a few as well as sumps and wet dry filters. Its kind of fun once you get the hang of it.

Paul

limige
04-29-2003, 08:30 AM
thanks i've been debating this issue for a long time! great article, best i've seen yet!

my 190 glass cost me $360 and wieghs quite a bit, acrylic cheaper and way lighter, i'm in!!

Jason
04-29-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm in too!

I can get 10mm lexan cheaper than glass, I've got some weld-bond on order for a few acrylic projects I'm doing, so after I get the solvent thing down I'll give it a go!

thanks for the link George!

Discusgeo
04-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Youe Welcome Jason and everyone else. Good luck on the tank building and let us know how you all do.
George

trucdan
04-29-2003, 11:39 PM
I haven't build the tank yet but I have build some wet/dry filter. It's not that hard to work with acrylic. You just need the right equipments and lot of patient, that's all.

WHen you build the tank, if you can locate a plastic store which can do the cuts for you, the rest will be easy. If you decide to cut it yourself, then you should invest in a good saw blade. You should go with at least 80 teeths saw blade. Router is is another "must have" tools.

Believe me. Even though I am a very handy man who can fix and build most of the thing around the house, I hate to admit that it's very difficult to get a smooth and straight cut on acrylic. Most of the time you will need to use the router to route the edges to make the cut even. Otherwise, the joins will leak.

Practice make perfect. The first WD filter I made was so ugly. It works but it's ugly. But now I can build high quality WD :D.

trucdan

limige
11-02-2003, 03:11 AM
ttt for a great link!