PDA

View Full Version : What kind of sponge for filter?

wall_o_fish
04-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Hey All.

I've been thinking on making my own sponge filters. I'm pretty sure I can pull off the PVC portion, but I can't seem to track down any sponge that'd be safe for fish. Do any of you have experience with a readily-available kind of sponge? (Say, from Home Depot or some similar store?)

scott

Discusgeo
04-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Scott I would really like to tell you about sponge filters here as I build my own also. But the last time I mentioned about selling something on the Simply Discus Board I got chewed out so no one get's any more help from me. But if you do a search you can find your answer.
George
Here's what I mean:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=8433

Jason
04-17-2003, 12:06 AM
sorry Scott,

George is selling foam for a good price here
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=8819;st art=0

can get some here too
www.angelsplus.com

or call John at Jehmco he has it but not on his site
www.jehmco.com

or just do a web search for "open cell" or "reticulated" foam

finding the foam is easy even some walmarts have it, the tricky part is drilling the hole for the uplift tube, if your just making a couple its a good idea too buy some from George as his is already drilled.

04-17-2003, 08:11 AM
the tricky part is drilling the hole for the uplift tube

Jason...have you ever tried using metal tubing to cut the hole? Ive found it to be the simplest way...I just use a piece of copper pipe slightly smaller(in diameter) than the uplift tube, sharpen the edge of the pipe around the circumfrence on a grinder(or similar) Then all you do is press the tube onto the sponge(on a block of wood) push down hard and twist. Done! It makes a nice clean cut, providing the edge is fairly sharp.

Tony

Jason
04-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Thanks Tony,
I've never tried that, I'll have too sounds alot better than freezing the sponge.

any ideas for rounding-off a sponge like the manufactured filters?

wall_o_fish
04-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Wow! Great ideas and great references from all of you! Thanks!!!

scott