PDA

View Full Version : Live Brine shrimp source...

brewmaster15
04-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone...

Found a good source for live brine shrimp.....

http://www.livebrineshrimp.com

They shipped them out same day to me, and I received them all healthy and alive. I tried their LBS-1...its 50 grams
worth.

the shrimp were $13.00, the shipping $7.00

I wouldn't say theres a tremendous amount of shrimp in the bag, but its about what I used to get and pay at a LFS that used to carry these guys. I am very happy at this point, and thrilled to have a source for live Brine shrimp.

why Live Brine?
1)stimulates appetite in fish that aren't eating
2) shrimp are filter feeders ...so you can soak meds and vitamens in their water and get it into the fish
3) stimulates breeding
4) variety is the spice of life
5) I like watching discus chase them around :)

Just though I'd share this source with you.

take care,
al

BoxerDad
04-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Sounds pretty expensive Al.!!!!!!!!

That's a lot of money for a bag of water!!!!

Only kidding!

Take Care ,

John

fcdiscus
04-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Has anyone tried raising them from eggs? Frank

brewmaster15
04-17-2003, 01:40 PM
I have done it Frank.

My set up was pretty simple..
1)one 30 gal fishtank.. equipped with multiple airlines ...no air stones.
2) greenwater generated by some miracle grow and sunlight, as a food source, supplimented with yeast and spirulina powder.
3) I hatched out 6 tablespoons of Brine shrimp eggs, and placed in that tank, with saline water...1.023 sg
4) fed daily or as the water cleared up (filter feeders)
it worked well, but I could never actually get the adults to reproduce... I could only grow the BBS to adults.
5) maybe I'll start it up again, once my racks are done and I have the room.
-al

fcdiscus
04-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Considering the price of the eggs right now, I think it a good way to go Al! Frank

Discusgeo
04-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Brew go to http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/brineshrimpdirect-product-4-3-26.htm#selco and get the Selco to enrich your shrimp. I add it to my newly hatched brine shimp. As you know once those little guys hatch (BBS)they use up the yolk sac so I need to enrich them for my Angels and Discus

SELCO:
This Artemia or rotifer enrichment formula is rich in Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFA's) and is super concentrated. Just .3 grams (~10 drops) per liter or quart of water is sufficient for enriching hundreds of thousands of Artemia nauplii and adults as well as rotifers.

TnMark
04-17-2003, 09:37 PM
How long does it take from egg to adult? How long do they live as adults? Thanks!!

04-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Hi Al,

i would also like to try it out.

How long can the shrimp survive in the fridge?

thanks

alex

daddyg70
04-18-2003, 02:38 AM
My history with brine shrimp is that they only last a week or two at the most. I thought brine shrimp had no nutritional value for discus?

Greg ???