PDA

View Full Version : growing up baby shrimp

aziyaeian
04-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Dear all;
is there any body who knows how can I grow the brine shrimp for feeding adult discus?
I read somewhere , they can grow, up to 3/4".with feeding them bakenBatter daily.

shamsoo
04-19-2003, 12:11 PM
I had done this before but it is not worth to raise them to adulthood, it takes about 3 weeks to reach them full size and they are fed on brewer's yeast or bakers yeast, you have to watch the quality of water, if you are still interested send me IM I will tell you

aziyaeian
04-19-2003, 12:39 PM
HI SHAMSOO;
THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS.
WULD YOU PLEASE BE SO KIND TO TELL ME THE DITAILS, LIKE THE DOSE OF SALT, AND KIND OF FEEDING & ETC.
AFSHIN

jake
04-21-2003, 12:34 AM
I posted on another thread, diy I think about my shrimp hatchers, which are inverted 5 galon water jugs with a tap siliconed into the neck, I use 2-3
and feed with greenwater grown in the smae kind of jugs, I feed the shrimp a quart or so of the green water each day to replace water drawn off with the shrimp, now I also use selco on shrimp, with this they are good size in a week, feeding heavily I can go through a jug in a week and then reseed the jug, use the first couple days on fry, and 'older' cultures on larger fry and adults,

I used regular marine salts, in my case Instant Ocean, there are other good ones, keep an airstone down into the neck of the jug and they stay circulated well, remove the airstone about ten minutes before harvesting and the shrimp will settle into the neck of the jug to draw off. This way you get bbs with nice green guts,

I havenot used brewers yeast in years , its too easy to foul the water, or not use enough and starve the culture. Keep a good flor. light on the green water 24/7 and an airstone in it and you are set, a 5 gallon aquarium works well also for the green water, I kept one year round in a window without a light on it.

You can get the algae cultures from florida aqua farms. ads in both fama and tfh. They also have a website.

ReeferKimberly
04-21-2003, 05:14 AM
this thread may be interesting to you

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=7205;sta rt=0

kimberly :-*