PDA

View Full Version : baby blue diamonds

zzbruinzz
04-19-2003, 03:09 AM
hello all,

just wanted to share with you pics of the BD's that i just got on tuesday. I never had fish this small. they eat like pigs! i have 8 in a 20gallon right now. when is a good time to move them to a bigger tank? thanks! Oh yeah, what do you guys think of body shape, color, etc? any comments will be helpful so that i can learn to choose better fish next time. ;)

andy

zzbruinzz
04-19-2003, 03:09 AM
another pic...

April
04-19-2003, 03:57 AM
How old are those little guys? glad their eating like pigs. make sure you do as much water change as possible for good growth.
hope you do well. ;D

zzbruinzz
04-19-2003, 04:00 AM
i'm not sure how old they are. they are 1.25inches or so...i am doing 80% water changes/day...hopefully they will grow nice and big.

andy

keith_cny
04-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Andy,
Nice bunch!! Where did you get them from and what you feeding them?

Take good care of them!!

Keith

Carol_Roberts
04-19-2003, 02:54 PM
You did an excellent job of catching the blue color.

fcdiscus
04-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Honestly!- Well the eyes are too big! Pound them with food- six times a day. JMO. Frank

zzbruinzz
04-19-2003, 07:49 PM
i got them from some fish place near my house. big eyes huh? i hope they outgrow their eyes =). i am feeding as much as i possibly can w/ work and classes. they have a liking for colorbits. and they are very happy w/ cbw and hikari bloodworms. i hope they grow up nicely.
andy

Jeff
04-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Good call Frank. I agree. Can you elaborate on "the eyes are too big", and give us possible methods to help to correct that? I'm not sure Andy knows what that means or what causes that.

fcdiscus
04-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Simply put, they were either feed too little when young or went through an illness or overlong QT bfore being imported. The eyes will continue to grow while the body remains smallish. It is probably too late to make them normal down the road, but heavy feeding (especially CBW) will help make the best out of the situation. The roundest and nicest will still be fine for breeding, but those are not the kind of fish you should pay top dollar for. Again-JMO! Frank 8)

OEG
04-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Frank
I totally agree with youre opinion these are footballish and big eyed. Thogh they are not A class fish they are good to learn with. If you like them then thats all that matters. I might of started out with worse. So keep at it buddy.
Oscar :whip:

April
04-19-2003, 09:23 PM
thats why i asked how old. they may be older than expected and havent grown well .their eyes keep growing...whiile their body gets behind. hence big eyes for a small fish.
takes time to learn to see things like that. especially if you havent seen other fry to compare with.
But at least they have a revenous appetite .

Jeff
04-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Thanks Frank. Great explanation. :)

zzbruinzz
04-20-2003, 03:35 AM
thanks frank...live and learn =) i just thought they were small and cute..hehe...but i will enjoy them. can any of you post some pics of small maybe 1" discus so i can see proper eye size? thanks!

andy