PDA

View Full Version : Split tail, or tail biting?

Fish_Fin-atic
04-19-2003, 12:46 PM
This morning, I went to feed my Discus, and found this guy looking like this

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Apr/20034191986883886312563.jpg

It's not quite as bad as it looks, because the tail is torn right at the part where the fin is transparent already. So the actual tear is only about half as long as it looks. But my question is, is it possible for a fish to tear a piece out of it's tail by accident, or is this the work of a fin biting rival fish? The fish in the picture is about 4 inches w/o tail, or 5 inches with tail. He has just started to show interest in another femail in the tank, problem is that there are a couple of other males who are also interested. There is nothing in the tank that is remotely sharp, it is bare bottom with one heater, and a terra cotta pot upsidedown in one end. This fish does seem to like doing the tail splatter thing at the surface at feeding time - could that have caused it?

Carol_Roberts
04-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Very pretty discus. Yes to all of the above questions. It will heal on it's own in a day or two. Add salt if you want to. Time to get those breeding tanks ready. ;)

paulmat
04-19-2003, 02:59 PM
I aree with Carol,yes to all,probably sparing with the other males. A lil' salt and it should fuse back together. Mela/fix would help if it doesn't on it's own.

Paul :guitarist:

Fish_Fin-atic
04-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys (I think it's a pretty fish too Carol, it has a real neat pink base with tinges of aqua green which changes to pearl white depending on how it's possitioned relative to the light) I've seen split fins before, just not with an actual "chunk" missing. It usually looks like a scissors cut the fin, but this one looks like it was grabbed by pincers (or a fish mouth) and yanked. It's already starting to heal on it's own, but I was worried if one of the other fish has started a bad habbit of fin biting. It looks like I'll be cleaning out a breeding tank soon ;)