PDA

View Full Version : 120+ Babies now. How do I Cull?

ChiakiPlay
04-19-2003, 09:26 PM
It has been over 8 months since my last post. (its hard for Mac users to use this site since the introduction of new applets for loading multiple banners I think)

I got my first six Discus from Samson at Universal discus and I now have over 120 @ 3 week old babies in a 20gal tank. I removed the parents ofter 2 weeks. I have one hydro and a AC 150. WC @ 50%/daywith aged water. I am feeding about 5 times a day. (own spiritulina+shrimp mix, crushed brineshrimp, crushed redworms, crushed ON1 flakes).

Since this is my first sucessful spawn, I want to keep them all including all the runts. But, I need to know when I need to start to cull the week. When should I move them to a larger tank and how many should I cull?

Carol_Roberts
04-20-2003, 12:10 AM
You will need to move them to a 55 gallon in a couple of weeks. I kept my whole first spawn too. It is a good learning experience. Cull the littlest ones, they don't catch up and will eventually sicken and die.

How many should you cull? That depends - How many can you keep or find homes for? It is easier to cull them now than later.

Generally the round ones stay round. The peppered ones stay peppered. You won't really be able to tell color or pattern for months . . . .

This is a practice batch - have fun learning ;D

ChiakiPlay
04-26-2003, 12:27 AM
Thank you Carol. They are all at 1 month now. I found some people to give away the babies to. I am going to cut down the load to 50 this week. Then down to 30 in my 50 gal. At 3 months, I will have to decide on the top 12 to keep.

Thank you

Carol_Roberts
04-26-2003, 12:40 AM
That sounds like a good plan.

Mr. Limpet
04-26-2003, 01:35 AM
What strain do you have? There are actually quite a few of us in the SF area, we are just a little quieter than the rest. Paul.

BanMeNot
04-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi ChiakiPlay,
What strain of your bady discus? I may interesting to pick up some. E-mail me at ckeiwong@hotmail.com.

Keith

ChiakiPlay
04-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi,

I will keep you guys posted. Right now I just want to make sure the final few are in good health.
Some pic of the Mom (in front) Dad (in back)
Pics speak more than words. They are both Red Turq base.

ChiakiPlay
04-29-2003, 09:31 PM
one more time

Carol_Roberts
04-29-2003, 09:55 PM
Very nice discus - you should have beautiful babies.