PDA

View Full Version : brown film on plants

jamesmcsyd
04-21-2003, 03:12 AM
Hello,

I'm not big into plants, but I successfully keep potted swords in my discus show tank.

I have a problem, my leaves have, on parts, an unsightly brown film on them, and i don't know what it is. Other than this, they are growing well, with a clay and gravel substrate, and some liquid fertliser at very small doses every 2 days. I don't have any test kits for phosphate or iron, but maybe I should get one! The brown film comes off if I take the plants out and clean the leaves.

My guess is that it might be phosphate deposits, but I have no algae. My water parameters are normal for a discus tank. I add Calcium Carbonate to maintain pH level. I clean the BB daily.

Can you help me?

James

ChloroPhil
04-21-2003, 09:39 AM
The brown stuff can be one of two things in your tank.

1- your clay is getting into the water column and is settling on your plants. There's not much you can do about that other than remake the whole thing to keep the clay (Laterite?) underneath the rest of the substrate.

2- It's diatom algae. Get some Ottocinclus, about 2 per ten gallons and let them go to town.

Good luck!

ronrca
04-21-2003, 09:44 AM
If it be this brown algae, you are fortunate as this algae is quite easy to control. Like Bio mentioned, otos work well!

Brown algae usually occurs in low lighting tanks therefore increasing intensity will also help combat brown algae. However, I will caution you right now when increasing intensity. If your tank is preforming nicely now, dont mess with it! ;)

Brown algae also is removed quite easy by hand or vacuuming!

jamesmcsyd
04-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Thankyou,

It does seem to be brown algae, as it comes of quite easy. Also, my BN catfish seem to munch on it, but not enough!
I'll put in the oto's and will see how it goes.

This is great advice. Thankyou!

James

slim
04-22-2003, 06:27 PM
I have experienced this brown film as well. I usually wipe it off using my thumb and forefinger when making water changes. Can someone tell me if there is an alternative way to controlling this aside from ottos?

Thanks-
slim

ronrca
04-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Higher lighting intensity will solve brown algae however you will also need to increase ferts frequency and C02!