PDA

View Full Version : GarlicGuard and black worms

ChienHsu
04-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi!

I think I have spoiled my discus after the disaster two months ago. What happen was the survive three have been put into a separate tank other than my main tank and I treated them with medicine. At the same time, I did fishless cycling. Since they were weak during the disaster, I fed them with black worms to make them eat and be strong for med treatment. Therefore, they have eaten blackworms for last two months. Now they are in main tank and they ignore the beef heart chunk. In the past, when I made beef heart chunk, I mixed with some garlic powder. Now I could not do it since they do not eat beef heart.

I have seen on the seachem web site and they sell a solution called "GarlicGuard". I just wonder that:

Has anyone dipped the blackworms into the GarlicGuard solution before feed to the Discus? any pro and com?

Thanks

Chien

MGR
04-24-2003, 12:11 AM
I haven't soak cbw in the garlicguard but have used it and had no problems with it + it's like a prevention for any internal parasits i posted some info about what med to use and how so if you want talk a look at that :)

att: mgr

ChienHsu
04-24-2003, 03:31 PM
Hi MGR:

Can you give the link to your posts?

Thanks

Chien

MGR
04-24-2003, 03:46 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=8828

flogger426
04-24-2003, 05:34 PM
chien,

i don't want to gloat here - but when we were having our CBW debates two or three months ago i mentioned the fact that spoiling the fish with CBW was a very easy thing to do.

once the fish become "spoiled" (as well as the keeper) on the worms it is very difficult to get them back on a normal prepared food diet.

i've never had a hunger strike or spoiled a discus feeding my prepared food diet.

when i first started keeping these fish and fed blackworms hunger strikes and spoiled fish (among other things) were a common occurance.

please no one flame, as this has been my personal experience.

john

RichieE
04-29-2003, 10:50 AM
I use Garlic Guard as well as chopped garlic in a beefheart mix. I haven't soaked worms in it though. As long as they don't break up/turn to mush I dont think it would be a problem. I'm not sure if live worms would be a suitable "carrier" for Garlic Guard. If the worms were left in it long enough to ingest some I think it could be beneficial.
A quick bath of the stuff would probally just wash off when the worms hit the water.
I spoke to a Rep at Seachem just before Garlic Guard came out. He was very knowledgeable about Discus among other things and spent a lot of time on the phone with me. I suggest you call them about this topic. Rich