PDA

View Full Version : WOW............what a pair!!!

gary1218
04-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Just got this "pair" ;D of 20" carbon blocks from Randal. Talk about an easy transaction. I e-mailed Randal a few times with what my set up was and what I was "hoping" to do. HE took over from there. HE did all the work figuring out what I needed. HE then found the parts I needed at the best price. HE ordered them. HE put them all together and then shipped me the complete unit. Oh yeah, I did have to unpack it :D

AND, it cost me less that if I would've done it all myself. I don't know about you but I CAN'T BEAT THAT!!!

Thanks Randal,
GARY

RandalB
04-22-2003, 11:06 PM
No problem Gary,
Gotta love 40,000 gallons of no worry dechlorination. The only Hard part was lining up the Bracket and drilling new holes.

Let me know how that baby works for you Gary!

RandalB

BTW, if you ever need an industrial size RO unit, you already have the Prefilters! I also told Paul to take care of you on your order.....

gary1218
04-23-2003, 07:19 AM
Thanks Randal, the discus from Paul are coming on Friday :D

GARY

O
04-23-2003, 08:29 AM
Gary,

Could you please tell me how you use this unit and what is its purpose?

Thanks.
Oleg

RandalB
04-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Oleg,
The purpose of that unit is large scale dechlorination. It consists of 2X 20" Carbon block filters and is fitted with 3/4" fittings. You can use a garden hose as connection tubing. It is capable of dechlorinating 40,000 gallons of water at 10.0+ Gallons per minute, 250 PSI. Gary is setting up a continuous flow water system for his fish. He can give more specifics about that.

You can also use similar ones for Light Industrial Reverse Osmosis unit prefilters (300GPD to 5000 GPD).

HTH,
RandalB

O
04-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Randal,

Thank you. Sounds like a great set up. I'll have to get me one of those some day. :) :)

O.

ronrca
04-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Good job Randal!
Now, what would you suggest for chloramines?

RandalB
04-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Ron,
A good RO unit with DI.....or a lot of amquel ;D

Seriously, there are a couple of new things coming up in the market that I'm looking into, including treated Carbon and Ion Specific DI resins that should help those with Chloramine problems.

I'll let everyone know when I get more info,
RandalB

O
04-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Randal,

I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Can a similar set up be used for WC? What do you think about using an old canister filter(Eheim 2213) filled with carbon to drive water in and out of the tank during WCs?

Thanks.
O.

RandalB
04-25-2003, 11:30 PM
O,
Sure you could use a setup like Gary's for w/c's. It's equipped with 3/4" threads for a garden hose. Cut a length of Garden hose, add 2X $1.99 male hose adapters (home depot garden section) and it's off to the races. It's kind of overkill though for smaller setups. I can also do a smaller 10" version for much cheaper and would be good for 10,000 gallons of water w/ $7.50 replacment cartridges. (provides Micron Filtering too)

I have heard of people using old canister filters for draining and filling and I guess you could use activated carbon in the basket, it would probably get expensive though unless you have a real cheap source for the carbon.

HTH,
RandalB

sammosammo
04-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Randal,

I haven't read your RO thread yet, so not sure exactly what these filters do. BUT are you saying that you can run water from the tap through these filters straight to the tank? No aging tank? No adding Prime?

sammosammo
04-26-2003, 07:31 AM
oops. I fogot about the temperature difference. Is it possible to regulate the water temp at the same time? ;D

RandalB
04-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Sam,
If your tap water doesn't have a lot of dissolved Co2 in it you can go right from the tap with one of these carbon filters. If your tap water's pH drops over time, you'd still have to age water to get it stable before w/c's.

If you have a small setup you'd want a smaller filter. These are for large flow applications.

You can regulate your water temp from the tap.

RandalB

Jason
04-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Randal,

If I got you to make one of those for me, would using two be overkill for say 500 gallons a day?

does using two significantly reduce the flow rate over using one?

sammo I use a thermostatic mixing valve to set my temp, they are pricey but a good investment, adustable and the temp stays constant even if you flush a toilet or have a shower

sammosammo
04-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Randal,Jason,

Thanks for the info. I do have to age my water to stabalize the pH, and currently need @14 hours to set the temperature. Being a newbie, i haven't considered these setups, they seem complex to me. I think it's time to read up on some RO threads

RandalB
04-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Jason,
Gary's system would be ideal for 500 GPD. You'd have to change them every 2-3 Months though.

These cartridges are designed for easy flow,so there should be little or no reduction in flow between 1 and 2.

RandalB