PDA

View Full Version : Wild Heckel Discus Not Eating!

dontorg
04-22-2003, 07:20 PM
I recently bought 2 four inch wild Heckels. For the first two weeks they did very well, ate well etc. Then suddenly they both stopped eating. About a week later one of them died :(. The other one is still alive and does not seem to be in any distress except that it does not swim around much and usually sits near the bottom of the tank. It is not dark in color and is holding it's fin up. It seems totally disinterested in the food that it once ate with gusto. I feed bloodworms, beefheart, brine shrimp, mysis, and some flakes. It has not eaten anything in 3 weeks!
I also have 2 four inch Royal Blue Discus in the same tank both eating everything I offer.
My water temp is 84, I do weekly partial water changes, the PH is 6.5
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Ardan
04-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Hi,
I would first try doing wc's more often. Maybe at least every other day 30%.

hth

chuck
04-23-2003, 10:47 PM
I agree with Arden, But I would also Increase the temp to 90f and dose with metro. the high temp increases the metabolism of the fish , and metro works better in high temps. Metro is used to combat Hexamita a intestinal parasite(protozoa) symptoms include white stringy feces, not eating, dark color, clamp fins, lethargic.
PS: I hope the fish in the pictures are not the "wild Heckels" you brought?... They are not wilds and definitaly not Heckels... :-\
good luck
chuck

dontorg
04-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info Chuck. I will try that.
Here is a pic of the wild Heckel.