PDA

View Full Version : how much sleep do you get?

henryD
04-24-2003, 12:49 AM
Alright I noticed that most of the discus people seem to sleep very little. So I was wondering what the average amount you guys get? Could it be that discus people are insomniacs? Is it because you are worried about your fish? Or it is that all the tanks make a lot of noise? Better yet the water changes are taking up too much time.

Well I only sleep about 4-5 hours a day. I have always been this way. It drove my parents nuts when I was a kid. In fact when I force myself to sleep more I feel less clear. I don't seem to think straight.

RandalB
04-24-2003, 12:53 AM
Hmmm Let's see,

25 Discus + 3 Year old + 1 Year old (sleeps through now and then) + 50% w/c's daily + Building RO units + Moderating = 4 Hours on a good night.

ZZZZZZ <---- Sorry fell asleep at the keyboard

RandalB

ReeferKimberly
04-24-2003, 02:08 AM
bad night = 2 hours
avergage night = about 4 hours
great night = 5 hours

ur right
i get no sleep :-[
kimberly :-*

paulmat
04-24-2003, 03:14 AM
I work 12 hr. nights,so my sleeping habits are already messed up. If I sleep 4-5 hrs. Im good :sleeping:
Paul :guitarist:

Ryan
04-24-2003, 06:16 AM
I just got a new job so I've been sleeping about 4 - 5 hours a night. However, when I was laid off and working on projects here at Simply it was not uncommon for me to sleep 2 - 3 hours a night, then a small nap during the afternoon for an hour or so. The only people up all night are Jason and April -- we all had late night chats on MSN. lol.

Ryan

SLY
04-24-2003, 06:31 AM
u sure u sleep ryan? I am more fortunate..at least 8 hours sleep. ;D

lovdiscus
04-24-2003, 06:55 AM
This is interesting....I also get little sleep....maybe 4-5 hrs if I am lucky. I get that "restless leg syndrome" really bad. I try to catch a quick nap during the day.....but I have always been this way too.
When I try to sleep I think too much about what needs to be done.

bmrin1
04-24-2003, 08:57 AM
All I can say is that my 10 month old slept for 12 straight hours night before last and i am laid off. You get the picture. Last night up till 12:30 up at 4:50 cause sleeping 12 hours was not an option for Luke this time.
Brian

ronrca
04-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Wow! And I thought I dont sleep much! Usually Im fortunate enuogh to get around 5-6 hours. Some nights less because of tossing and thinking! On weekends I try to catch up getting 7-8hours!

Of course my goal is to get down to only 4-5 hours sleep! I tell my workers that sleep is a waste of time (this guy gets like 10 hours a night) because you get nothing accomplished. ;D

April
04-24-2003, 09:56 AM
ok well....i sleep in spurts. although i do like to sleep. but i wake up every two hours.. and i check the clock every half hour towards morning. have this great fear of being late., lol.
yes...i get up and check the forum at night and as soon as i wiggle the mouse....spies see im up as my msn goes from away to online. so then jason and ryan find me. then of course start yabbering... and before i know it an hour or two have gone by and then i go have the next two hour sleep. then theres the people who have their clocks set to the wrong time.....and i have been known to do wc in the middle of the night. and of course if the sound of my filters change.....i get up to check as im always worried one is leaking. on the 5th floor now...so have a great fear.

brewmaster15
04-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Sleep is over rated :)

4 hours is perfect

2-3 hours is not uncommon

no hours is do-able but I'll need five hours the next night!

-al

hunterbeav
04-24-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm one of the lucky guys. I get between 7 and 8 hrs a night!! :)

Smokey
04-24-2003, 03:41 PM
very interesting subject....
myself... about the 4 hour mark; however; never at the same stretch.
I know I can be deep in dream land.. and a''unusual'' splash brings my feet a running. It's like ... the first thing I do when I get home is LISTEN ... for the right sounds. and panic if I don't hear them...

Personally, I believe sleep was invented by ''wives''... just so they know where we ''men'' are. lol!!!

Smokey

DarkDiscus
04-24-2003, 04:36 PM
I used to average 2-3 hours a night - pretty much from the time I was 24 until 2 years ago. For some reason, once I met my wife to be I started to be able to sleep more. If I can get the time, I get good sleep.

I now average 6 hours Sun-Thu nights and get 7+ on Friday and sometimes Saturday. If I have a bad week I am sometimes known to sleep until 10AM on Saturday mornings! Ahh!!!

John

flogger426
04-24-2003, 05:05 PM
i only wish i could get by on 4-5 hours of sleep. i need at least 7 or 8 hours.

when i was a kid i could zonk out for 10 to 12 hours straight!

as a teenager i had many 2-3 oclock afternoon wakeups, too much of that wacky stuff.

i think it's just something that is pre-determined while we are still in the womb. just like some people are night owls and some are early risers.

john

mench
04-24-2003, 05:34 PM
I wish I could get 8 hrs...most nite 4 to 5 is ok..as I get older I tend to sleep for less peroids of time..only about two hrs at a time....must be an age thing...

Mench

John_Nicholson
04-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Normally between 7 and 8 hours...unless I am going hunting and then it is mor like 4 or 5.

-john

Fish_Fin-atic
04-24-2003, 06:31 PM
I've fallen into the routine of sleeping around midnight, and waking at 6:15 each morining durring the weekdays. But on weekends, I stay up later, and wake up around 4:30. Usually this is because I'm off to go fishing somewhere, but otherwise, it's so that when Monday rolls around again, it feels like I get to sleep in all week long! ;)

ReeferKimberly
04-25-2003, 12:36 AM
i already posted my usual...but on suns and sats when i don't work, its 13-14 hours for me!! need to catch up from all those two hour nights when i got stuck closing at work....grr >:(
kimberly :-*

Shari
04-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Funny this subject came up - I wondered about all of your 'habits'-seemingly never off this site at the wierdest hours...but that's because I am here too!!! haha!
The new Lab pup is finally potty trained...but can't go for long so to keep peace in the house stay up for the 12-3am outings - and of course sitting here so the house is quiet - hell I could be doing water changes and get a jump start on tomorrow!!!
;D

scotz
04-25-2003, 10:10 AM
I usually get between 5 - 6 hours a nite - any more and my back starts to bother me - so I'm up and drinking coffee and looking at my fish.

scotz

yellow sub
04-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Wow all these people who like 4-6 hours of sleep :sleeping: :P

I wish I could get a 8-10 hours, I am a night owl but I also like my sleep. I now have a 2 year old and a new born, I am lucky if I can get 3-4 hours of continous sleep :sleeping:

One thing I have learned to do woof down my lunch and sleep in the car during lunch break, which is what I am about to do :)

Stephen

GWdiscus
04-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Wow, 4 or 5 hours of sleep would kill me. Once in a great while I have to stay up late, 11 pm, and get up at 4:30 am. I'm dragging all day and it takes me days to get over it.
7 to 8 hours is average for me.

limige
04-27-2003, 04:12 AM
i find the sleep subject extremely interesting. i grew up thinking that the human bodies need 7-8 hours of sleep to be healthy and let your body rest.

but i've always had this friend thats an insomniac and a bit ummm well not sure how to put it. he's got ADD and i think he loves, the guy is practically a genious in my book, he dropped out of high school in the 9th grade, but knows more than most people i know. he constantly suprises me with his abilities and knowledge.

anyway, he's always saying sleep is a waste of time, he'll go through spurts of no sleep then will sleep for 10 hours or so.

well as for me, i try to sleep 7 hours but do fine on 6 normally.
i'll go through spurts when i'm in the middle of a project. such as recently installing a new rear end in my camaro. then i'll sleep like 4-5 hours.

but then i usually take a nap during break at work too. when i first started this job, my shift was 10pm-6:30am. i was working two jobs and would only sleep like 3 hours with a nap here and there. i was fine. but once i started sleeping 6-8 hours it's rough trying to go on 4-5 hours.

i reallly think it has alot to do with your state of mind and how stressed you are. i think if your minds really busy and you have pressing issue's you tend to sleep less. the more relaxed you are and the less going on in your life i think you will sleep more.

this is my theory for now anyway.IMO

Tristanyyz
04-28-2003, 09:43 AM
My other hobby is bodybuilding, after being in the gym 2 hours every day, you need 8 hours...thats when your body heals itself :)