PDA

View Full Version : Feeding youngsters

Michael61
04-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Just wondering what foods folks use for discus between 1 month and 2 or so months old. My group is now 5 weeks old and I'm wondering what foods I can/should add at this point. They love their BBS as the base of their diet. Am I correct in assuming that chopped blood worms might not be a good idea for fish this young?

Thanks.

Michael

hunterbeav
04-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Hi Michael at 3 weeks free swimming I stop bbs. I use sissors to chop up black worms I also feed beefheart chopped fine and flake food. Latter I give pellet foods and bloodworms. I feed small amounts about 6 to 8 times a day till they are 6 weeks free swimming. I cut back then to 4 times a day feeding larger amounts. I'm not saying this is the best and I'm sure other's do it different but this works for me. Good luck :)

Carol_Roberts
04-25-2003, 03:17 AM
Mine start nibbling on whole black worms at 2 weeks. As soon as they are eating them good I stop bbs. 3 weeks I add crumbled flakes and bits. I don't chop up anything.

shamsoo
04-25-2003, 03:22 AM
mine are 5 weeks old feeding them bbs , b/h paste, golden pearls, today shifted them in 175 g tank

04-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Yes I agree at 5 weeks they should be eating several different types of food.

shamsoo, tell me more about moving your fry into a 175 gal tank...that seems way to big for fry......I hope you like doing water changes

Randy

shamsoo
04-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Randy , actually 175 tank is 3/4 filled, aged for 2 days, I netted them and gave 2 hrs to settle down, after that fed them with regular food, now in evening I checked them they all came in front for more food, they all happy and schooling