PDA

View Full Version : NEW Book out How To Artificial Raising Discus

chuck
04-25-2003, 10:32 AM
FAMA has a new book published for $4.95 (64 pages) called "Baby Discus" I don't know how good it is but for $4.95 how can you go wrong??
here's the link:

http://www.famamagazine.com/e/env/000152v9eD0LmAgq7E2C8x4/index.html?link=/store/store-books-anthology-tem.html&item=products:fab5

(you can find the link to the book on the right hand side of the page about 1/2 way down... or you can just copy the entire link above and paste it in your IE address bar)
chuck

04-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Hi Chuck, Yeah for that price what do you have to lose....

But it looks like the same book that they have advertised in the back of their magazine for several years.

I believe there is just as much info. or more right here on this web site than you will ever find in a book, but hey for less than 5 bucks if you are a book collector you are right you cant go wrong.

Randy

Lance_Krueger
04-25-2003, 11:07 AM
I read that book from FAMA about 20 years ago. This guy, Art Haley, was one of the original guys to start feeding discus artificially, from what I understand. His floating bin method (instead of bowls) is preferred by such guys as Samson at Universal Discus even today.
Lance Krueger

goldengatediscus
04-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Yes, I agree with Lance and Randy. This book was first published in 1979, and now, it's hot off the press??!! I doubt that it's been updated. The cover looks the same as the one I have.

FYI, Art Hayley, the author, was born in 1898. I doubt that he's still alive. At that time, artificial raising was such a mystery, and his book clarified a lot of the procedures. It's a nice book to have if you're a book collector, but enough information about artificial raising can be found online, and right here on this forum.
Brigitte

Francisco_Borrero
04-25-2003, 10:19 PM
I have a copy of Baby Discus (published in the 70's).
I would agree that much of the info can be found (scattered) in various other sources. However, the book is chuck-ful of useful tidbits and insights from a guy who knew very well what he was doing. There are some great ideas for DIYourselfers and different ways of thinking of things....generally in very simple but effective terms. Some of the info is indeed outdated but the book and the author remain a gem.
Though not new, at $4.95 I would call it a very good buy (I paid $1.25 at a used book store, 3 years ago).
Cheers, Francisco.