PDA

View Full Version : Black worm question.

jrpatter
04-26-2003, 12:05 AM
Ok this is a 3 parter.

First Can you add liquid vitamins to the water you soak the black works in, will this harm the worms?

Second, would this actualy do any good, would the worms absorb enough to help the fish?

Third, If the answer to 1 and 2 are true, what would be the best vitamins use?

(My plan is like this, get a new batch of worms in rinse well then give a healthy dose of what ever. Then let sit for 2 days then take out of the fridge let em warm up for about 6 hours feed to fish then rinse with cold water and put back in the fridge. I would only put the vitamins in on the first day.)

John

Carol_Roberts
04-26-2003, 12:23 AM
I don't thinkthe worms will soak up vitamins.

I keep my worms in the fridge along with a gallon of dechlorinated aged water. I rinse them every day with the gallon of water and refill a new gallon for the next day. I feed the worms directly from the fridge - no warming up. (warm worms might grow bacteria)

Best to rinse them at the least once every day.

Steve0199us
04-28-2003, 12:27 PM
What does worm keeper look like? and do you need to feed them anything?

Darren
04-28-2003, 03:52 PM
They don't need to be fed. Click on the CBW banner at the top and click on the blackworm care link and there is a picture of the worm keepers they sell.

Carol_Roberts
04-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Here's how I keep my worms

ReeferKimberly
04-29-2003, 12:27 AM
me too, my parents and friends just LOVE opening the fridge to that ;D
kimberly :-*

Darren
04-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Carol,

YOu spend a lot of jack on your fish each month but skimp on the beer brand? ;)

Carol_Roberts
04-29-2003, 02:15 PM
LOL, That's my husbands shelf with the beer and diet pepsi.
My shelf has the worms and Snapple.

BlueTurquoise
04-29-2003, 10:07 PM
hehehe That's how I keep my worms as well. Rinse every day (or more if you can be bothered) is important and if they smell when you first get them then they are bad batch already and won't last long... *Pheeeww!*

It's very interesting for visitors to watch the fish eat worms! I just realised this of late when I have had visitors around, esp young ones!

Regarding soaking up vitamines: Not sure on thsi one either but I know that you can use them to mix in metronidazole (esp useful when fish have stopped eating becuase of hex). But then again that's a drug...

Here's a tip for ya Carol (maybe you already know this...) you can add a layer of paper towels (you know the stuff you use to wipe up kitchen messed with?) under the container. It helps to soak up spills from the container and most importantly stop any mass exodus of worms from the container! becuase the paper soaks moisure, it stops worms moving over the paper... I some escapees now and then...

Also you know how they say you need to keep them without a lid? I have a lid on my container but I drilled lots of holes in the middle of the lid and it works quite well. I keep my worms for up to 3 weeks (but usally less cuase I run out after 2 weeks).

Chong