PDA

View Full Version : oxygen cylinder or air pump

skoda
04-29-2003, 04:00 AM
it is said that in natural, dissolved oxygen is supplied thru surface gas exchange and photosynthesis of aquatic plant. insufficient dissolved oxygen may lead to long term stress and stunted growth and development.

this thing cross into my mind that we should actually pump oxygen (from oxygen cylinder) into the aquarium tank or the simple air pump can actually do the work. does air pump supply oxygen? a bit confused now! ??? ???

btw, my discus tank is bare bottom, not planted tank.

Ardan
04-29-2003, 06:25 AM
Hi,
The air pump mainly agitates the water surface to help oxygen from the air to mix in the water. Its mainly surface agitation that causes the exchange of gases. Pure O2 would be a bit dangerous as it is a fire accelerant. It also may put the DO at too high of a level.
More air stones are the safest.
the size of the surface area also is a big factor in the amount and ease of O2 getting in the water.
hth

skoda
04-29-2003, 10:00 AM
thks for your advise.

since this is gas exchange at the water surface, more airstone will help as you said. i suppose 'fine' airstone will help further since it produce more fine bubbles and hence more free surface area to react at the water surface, right? :D

Ardan
04-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi,
Which ever airstone also causes more turbulence at the water surface would be best.

hth