PDA

View Full Version : Fussy Discus Driving me MAD!

yippy
04-29-2003, 06:04 AM
Hi guys, One of my discus went off his food for a days and on advice from Ari and Scott I upped the temp to 32 degrees. This proved very helpful advice and did the trick and he is back to normal - well sort of! He will now eat nothing except live brine shrimp (which can be a bit expensive for everyday feeding - i usually only treat them with live brine twice a week). I have started culturing my own but they wont be ready for feeding the discus for 2 weeks. I have tried tricking him into frozen brine shrimp and once he sees its not alive he wont go near it! Should i persevere and starve him so he will take discus mix, bloodworm etc? Im just worried he will go back to not eating at all. All my other discus are gutses so im at a loss what to do. he comes to me for food but as soon as he sees its not live brine shrimp he just loses interest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Yippy ::)

CHughes
05-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Yippy:
I have sort of the same thing happening with my snake skin...it sounds like the rest of brood are healthy eaters...so what if you alternate the feeding every other day (live brine and frozen delights!). Might be expensive for a while, but that was how I got the snakeskin to get into the feeding mode with the rest of the bunch.

He/she still has his/her preferences as to the feeding but now I know he/she is happier and eating. This took about 2 weeks of this regiment...a pain I know but what the hey they are fun, right!

Chris

yippy
05-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks Chris, I was out doing a round of all the local fish shops over the weekend and came across a new brand of discus diet - its made here in australia. It looked alot better than the regular one i use so i bought some and my fussy discus actually ate it! Well he had a few pecks of it and was then obviously waiting for his live shrimp. ive been giving him some of the discus dinner first and then some live brine shrimp which i am gradually cutting him down on. His appetite seems to be getting better so hopefully he will keep going that way. Its a pity all fish arent like my red devil - he's in a tank on his own and will eat anything i throw in! I'll keep you posted on his eating! Thanks again, Yippy