PDA

View Full Version : Cull size question

remikz
04-29-2003, 05:28 PM
I'm very new to discus and am not even close to thinking about being able to breed them yet, but I do have a question.

After seeing Carol's last post of her PB x RT fry, I'm just wondering have you culled all but 7 out of that whole bunch?

I'm not criticising in anyway, nor am I against culling (as in I understand the necessity of it) but 9 out of that tank full? Is this the normal proceedure? or did you just want to keep the very best for some purpose?

It just seems like a lot... Maybe I got my wires crossed between batches and maybe you sold them not culled..

Like I say i'm not saying I think it was wrong, just wondering if it was normal and why?

Thanks

--Ian

discuskrib
04-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Ian,

culling is done more for personal preferences than anything else. most people that cull do so because they have limited space. that being said, the first fish to go are usually the ones with deformities since they are not as likely to live as long as normal fish (and they are much harder to sell). after that people will cull off the slow growers, diseased, and they will select for color and pattern.

if you only have room for a dozen discus then you just can't keep them all as they get bigger.

Carol_Roberts
04-29-2003, 07:24 PM
I wholesaled some, gave some away and culled some. I wish I could find homes for all of them, but I don't have a market here.

I culled my new batch of PBxSS down to 40. They are about 4 weeks now. Next month I will cull again. I will select for red eyes, round bodies, little or no pepper.