PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Plants for new tank

04-29-2003, 09:52 PM
I just finished cleaning up my 75 with the cyano problem, and replaced the sand i had with 2" of flourite red, filled it and put on a couple matured sponges from other tanks. Just bare with a couple peices of wood right now.

I moved all my plants to a holding tank to keep them alive, and am getting ready to move them back into the 75, is there anything i can do to remove most of the algea and cyano from the roots/leaves that built up while they were in the other tank, other than rinsing?

wanted to get rid of as much as i can before replanting

ChloroPhil
04-30-2003, 09:44 AM
A light bleach solution usually works well. A 1:19 ratio of bleach:water mixture for about 30 sec is usually sufficient for all but the hardiest algaes.

ronrca
04-30-2003, 10:52 AM
The famous cyano! I successfully combatted it in my 90G a couple of months ago. What I did was first scrub the glass clean, with your fingers scrub the plants removing algae/cyano from the leaves. The same with any decor and anything else. Then I leave it for 1/2hour to an hour to let settle, then aggressively vacuum the gravel removing as much algae/cyano as possible. I usually do 50% water changes also. In a matter of 2 weeks, cyano was gone.

korbi_doc
04-30-2003, 04:10 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I did the same as ronrca in my 90g, & was pleasantly surprised when it didn't return. Now if only I can stop the diatom algae in the 125g. Am ready to clean it out again, but it has come back. lol, Dottie ;D ;D

04-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Hey Ron

i tried doing that and cleaning it up but it always kept coming back with a vengence. I followed Biotypicals nutrient levels he suggested and sure enough about 90% of it cleared up in a few weeks ;D I just wanted to give the plants a cleaning before i put them in this spankin new tank.

Ill try that bleach solution, thanks Biotypical

Ron, how ofter were you doing those cleanups and wc's?

ronrca
05-01-2003, 05:20 PM
Only once a week!