PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter?

Aquaticdreamland
04-30-2003, 08:08 AM
I keep reading things about how discus will not breed until they are about 2yrs old or over a certain size. And if they do attempt to breed younger either the eggs wont hatch or it can be bad for the fish. Not sure how it can be bad for them, but figured I should ask.
Two of my discus in my community tank paired up. They are just under a year old and about 4". In comm. tank laid eggs didnt fertilize, laid again and ate, laid a 3rd time hatched but others ate. Laid a 4th time, hatched. So I said fine you want to breed then I will move your butts. So moved the pair and their fry, didn't lose a one either. They are quite happy parents with fry growing really well. But I am still wondering if it is okay for them to breed so young. And will their fry be normal?
Now in the community tank I have another two giving each other the special eye as well, and they are smaller than the pair that is breeding lol. I bought discus just for display and now here I am asking hubby to build me a fish breeding room. Dang fish should come with a warning label "beware highly addictive you cannot own just a few" lol
Thanks for all the help!

O
04-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Discus can start breeding at about 11 to 12 month of age. As far as size, 5-6 inches. I would move them if you are planning to breed them again.
Egg eating is very common with young discus. Give them some time.

O.

Aquaticdreamland
04-30-2003, 05:54 PM
They are now in their own tank raising fry. I was pretty impressed with them, they only ate eggs once. Seems these two just know what to do lol. I was amused by the fact that 3 days after they lost the first 2 batches of eggs and then the one set of fry, they would lay again. I figured it would take them weeks to put out more eggs, guess they are just in the mood.

Carol_Roberts
04-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Just like people, discus mature at different ages. It sounds like you have a good pair and it will not hurt the fry a bit if the parents are young.