PDA

View Full Version : Trickle filter

pomby27
04-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Hi, does anyone here know how to make a trickle filter? or has any info on it? i've looked online, but i want to hear from the ppl here.

trucdan
05-01-2003, 12:39 AM
I do :). It's not that hard if you have some tools. It will be much easier if you don't want any thing fancy. I build my Trickle filter (wet and dry filter) with clear acrylic, 1/4" thick. If you can drill your tank for the overflow then you will not need to buil the overflow box.

td

pauly
05-01-2003, 01:10 AM
hey pomby27
I made one just with buckets and a plastic sump. You might need to do a few calculations for the overflow ,piping and sump .But it is very easy.
Check out this site from a forum in NZ .
http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=1090

Good luck.

Paul.

ChloroPhil
05-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Hey, what a good time to ask your question! I happen to be in the middle of putting mine together. It's a "Secret": strong enough for a discus, but made for a plant. :)

Version 1.10 was a 20 long with a rubbermaid bucket full of pumice from Home Depot. (Make sure to wash that stuff well, it's dirtier than flourite!) I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom two inches of the bucket for drains and a big one in the center of the cover to accomodate the drain tube from the the tank.

Presto Chango, an El Cheapo Trickle filter.

Version 1.20 is the same tank with two holes drilled in the bottom portions of two sides. One is the intake tube and the other being for the pump, which I'm keeping in-line but outside of the tank this time. I'm going to be putting a piece of cheap plastic to fit from the bottom of the tank to about 3/4" from the rim. I'm going to put another piece of plastic to box in the pumice and another about 3 inches high to keep the pumice from reaching the filter and also to keep the water level steady in the sump.

The whole purpose for this is to create a filter that flows horizontally rather than vertically like most W/D in order to minimize turbulance and make it possible to cover the top of the sump.

I'll take pictures when I get the camera back from my fiancee..:)

pomby27
05-01-2003, 11:45 PM
whoa, got sum good stuff here, thanks all. i'm a noob at planted tanks..haha ;D

chester