PDA

View Full Version : Digital Thermometers

tango0806
05-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Can anyone suggest a good Digital Thermometer that
goes over 90 degrees? One that has a decent probe that won't break down and will last. Also does anyone have one and where did you purchase it? What was the price?
I saw two online at Big Als made by Rainbow/Lifeguard,
Big Digital Temp Alert $28.99 and the other one also by Rainbow Little Time and Temp. $14.99 however they did not specify what the maximum temperature was. I would like one that can be used daily and also if the Discus need to be medicated I would like one that goes up to at least 92-93 degrees.

John & Kathy

Dennis_Hardenburge
05-03-2003, 07:07 PM
I use radio shack digital thermometers, they are an indoor outdoor thermometer, with the outdoor probe being a small white platic carrot shaped probe with a six foot wire. I believe these are usually about $14 but they are on sell quite frequently at $9.95.
I have 14 of them and if I put them all in the same tank they vary from the high to low reading from the high one to the low one less than a 1/4 of a degree. They are vary accurate and you can read them from accross the room.
They take one AAA batery which last about 18 months.
I couldn't live with out them.
Dennis

Dennis_Hardenburge
05-03-2003, 07:14 PM
I forgot to add I have one of these thermometers in every tank plus my four fifty gallon water ageing barrels.
I ask for them for gifts, and I haven't had to buy one as I get them for fathers day, Christmas stocking stuffer, birthday etc.
I think the are great.
Dennis

Steve_Warner
05-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Hi all,
Dennis, you've never had problems with the probes in that low pH water you have? I had a major problem with mine when the probe coating dissolved(?) and the thing was leaching Oxides(you can't see them until it's out of water) into the water. My fish were so skittish that I couldn't even approach the tank without them freaking. I went one-by-one through the whole tank, trying to diagnose what the heck was suddenly wrong and this was the only thing I could surmise, 'cause they stopped the erratic behavior right after its removal and W/C's. (see pic) The things are extremely accurate and I wish I could still use them!

Steve

Francisco_Borrero
05-03-2003, 08:28 PM
I also use the Radio Shack ones as Dennis describes, but mines are diferent than those shown by Steve. They are smaller.
I have 6 of them and have never had a problem. I remember the original thread (1-2 years ago) when Steve posted about his problems with the unit above. I also have 2 of a different brand (Springfield) and are just as good but a bit more expensive.
I love them all. I recently asked for them at Radio Shack and was told they were discontinuing the model I have, and replacing for one that looks more like Steve's, but that also gives relative humidity (let's not forget these are not designed for aquarium use). I imagine the new model will be more expensive, and I sure wouln't have any use for the rel.humidity readings, although someone who used to post in this forum seemed very keen on obtaining spawning by his fish as a direct effect of increasing the relative humidity of the aquarium water (does anybody remember those funny threads ???).
Cheers, Francisco.

sammosammo
05-03-2003, 08:35 PM
I use the Lifeguard Little Time & Temp. I've had it register up to 94 degrees fine. I bought it at LFS. I can't say how durable the probe is though - i've only had it for 6 months, but still doing fine.

Dennis_Hardenburge
05-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Steve
The one I use is much smaller than the one you have pictured, plus the probe is all plastic encased.
I suspose I could take a picture and post it.
I have also seen the one I use under a different name than radio shack but I can't remember what the name was.
Dennis

Fisheyes
05-04-2003, 12:46 AM
I use a thermor .Walmart 8.95.
Coat probe with sylicon and dry .
Works great
Fisheyes :crazy:

goldengatediscus
05-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=33080

I can't find the Radio Shack ones. Since there's a Harbor Freight store not too far away from me, I might have to pick one up to try it out. By picking it up, I can avoid the $5.95 handling fee and shipping charges, but I'll pay sales tax. They told me to bring in a copy of the online listing, so that I can get it at the online price.
Brigitte

korbi_doc
05-04-2003, 08:42 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Like Sammosammo, I use the Lifeguard, but the Temp alert, cuz I wanna be warned 'bout any rise or fall of temp that could be a problem. One can set the mark wherever you want it to warn you it's out of your range. Guess these are little more expensive, but for me I kinda feel its a necessity. The digital readout is large also. I need all the help I can get, hahahaha. Dottie 8) 8)