PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to get water OUT of tank?

NickK
05-04-2003, 09:58 PM
We use a 1/6 HP submersible pump to get the water back into the tanks, but the Python takes too long to remove the water. Does anyone make a 'reverse pump'? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick

Tyler
05-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Of course, i use a pump to siphon all my tanks.....saves tons of time. Just use an inline pump, works great and i believe a lot of people here use them.

Tyler

NickK
05-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Tyler. Do you have a pic? Is this something you can buy at Lowes? What are the flow specs of your pump? What size hose?

Will food or waste hurt the pump? Or do I still need the Python to syphon the waste?

Nick

Smokey
05-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Any submeragable pump will work. A Hagen 803 [400gph] or a Supreme @750 gph.

Submeragable pumps are very versitlie, inexpensive, don't need to be primed - [ I've got a Little Giant - 4md - 1200gph and it is always needing to be primed, and never seems to in the right place.] and cost the same as three sub. pumps.

Adapt a hose to fit over the output of the sub. pump and go for it...

You could even put a length of hose over the input - to help suck up debre, quickly Great for spot cleaning the tank.

Nothing, short of gravel lodging in the impellor, willl harm the pumps. Most even come with a inlet screen adapter.
The do move a lot of water quickly.

Spent the $.$$; worth ever penny!!!

Smokey

Smokey
05-05-2003, 08:18 AM
i do the service/maintance for a lfs - water changes and tank cleaning... I have often wondered if a ''reversable'' pump would work more efficiently .
Currently I am using a Little Giant 4mdqx - 1200gph - to remove the water. And a Little Giant submergable - 750 gph - to fill the tanks.
All the pumps and hoses have to portable... easy to be moved.
it would be nice to eliminate half of the hoses.

However, i still haven't found such a pump!

April
05-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Heres what i use. a magdrive pond pump.make sure whatever pump you get pumps up at least 7 feet. but i use mine both ways. i got a length of rubber hose and stuck it on the output. i throw it in the tank and plug it in. i then move it around the bottom to siphon. but you could do as smokey says and add a hose and the python tube also to siphon.
if very small fish it comes with a sponge filter to go over the intake. ive had a few big fish with circles on them...when they got too close. but i angle it to the bottom most times and dont use the sponge. you can also stand it right on the intake right on the bottom and it cleans all the slime off the glass real well. like a strong vacuum.
its very fast. dont walk away. or .........look pa.....no water.
If you go to home depot you can find a fitting to screw on. but the water flow was slower with the washer. so i just crammed the rubber hose on the end. just had to stretch a bit. the vinyl garden hoses dont fit. i bought my rubber hose by the foot.