PDA

View Full Version : Aussie, Aussie, Aussie 2!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

BlueTurquoise
05-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Due to popular demand, this is the new Aussie Aussie Aussie thread!

As you may or may not already know the original aussie thread has been one of the most popular threads here at Simply and has nearly reached it's maximum allowance of 80 pages! Any more pages and we risk truncating the thread and losing the first few pages :-[

The satistics of the old thread (at the time of locking) are 1179 posts in total with a whopping 11267 views! boy we are talkative bunch ;D

So in keeping with tradition, please continue with Aussie related material here until further notice!

Link to original thread:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=2348;st art=1170;boardseen=1

Oi Oi Oi!

Chong

April
05-05-2003, 12:42 AM
thanks Chong....can i please be the first guest appearing from up over? :balloon: :drummer:
:wave:now..all you aussies..get over here and say G'day. :soapbox:
:wave:
any aussie not here for roll call..will be disciplined. :spank:
Lurkers :lurk: welcome also..but we;d love it even more if you come and introduce yourselves.

BlueTurquoise
05-05-2003, 12:46 AM
[quote author=April] any aussie not here for roll call..will be disciplined. :spank:

Too right! LOL ;D

Yes, any lurkers who have been reading but not contributing, feel free to say howdy! the more Aussies, the better! ;) ;D Then we can apply for the site to be www.simplydiscus.com.au! hehe

Cheers!
Chong

nalah
05-05-2003, 04:27 AM
HEY! the deal was 80 pages. Chong,you traitor .locking us down at 79....
BOOH!
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/u/crossbonesgif.gif

lol

Mattzilla
05-05-2003, 07:24 AM
hey guys

how is everyone, i havn't spoken to any of you for ages. i've been really busy because i'm moving into my new unit on wednesday!!! it's all very exciting...although that is overshadowed by the task of packing....moving...then unpacking. oh well. i have a new home for my fishes as well which i am getting together as we speak.

just a quick question.... my fish reall freaked out today when i walked past their tank....and i mean freaked out....they have never spooked this much before and one of them bashed him/herself against a rock. there is not too much damage but i noticed a bunch of scales on the bottom of the tank...obviously from the injury. will the scales grow back and is this a serious injury?

thanks guys...and it's good to be back

matt

April
05-05-2003, 09:15 AM
I guess Chong and i could've had a conversation back and forth for the rest of the 79th page......all you aussies were MIA. no posts for days!!! we were tapping our toes.....waiting ....waiting....for that page 80 to appear.
How's that sound?
Besides...Chong had been just itching to lock a page. and what better page to lock than one that reached that size!!!

April
05-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Matt. the scales will grow back. but id check their water and see if their ph has slid or anything. maybe your wc routine changed with moving?
Good luck with your moving. hope you and your fish are all going to be happy in your new home. do you get a fishroom?

yippy
05-05-2003, 03:06 PM
May the old Aussie thread RIP. Chong, great idea, why not have our own simplydiscus.com.au!!!!!!!!! It was good having the aussie thread but i guess were just too popular.
Yippy :sun:

Rod
05-05-2003, 04:17 PM
OK, i guess we'll accept your reasons for closing down our thread :furious: :yikes: :spank:

I think the hardest part is going to be watching the old thread as it slowly makes it's way down the 1st page and completely disappears from veiw......sigh!!

April
05-05-2003, 05:23 PM
its not gonna slide down down down..its getting stickied for now. Ryan told us to sticky it. till he figures out how to save it. he said hed love to give you your own section but then the sings would want one..and the brits.....etc etc.
of course....we really think you all need to keep posting in the main sections also....otherwise the whole forum might have to come looking for you guys here. lol.

ari_wh
05-05-2003, 06:21 PM
April,
The 80th page did not appear soon enough because we've been having too many long weekends. We just had monday off because of labour day here in Queensland, so there were 3 long weekends in a row.... how is that for public holidays???

Regards, Ari :)

April
05-05-2003, 06:26 PM
Ari....i know. i have my firemans calendar right here in front of my puter. lol. my "aussie Animal calendar" lol.
far too many holidays if you ask me....all too cushy.
we get one coming up too..but hardly think we take them as seriously as you guys do....i will be working the same as any other long weekend. waaaaaa.but this is the first long weekend for the socalled summer, that you dare take a chance going out into nature. most get rained out and have to run for cover. or die of hypothermia from getting soaked.

BlueTurquoise
05-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Pascale, Rod, and others.

I am soooo scared that it is going to get truncated! if we reached the 80th page and it starts to get truncated when we didn't expect it, it would be tragic! I guess I can open it up and allow people to say bye bye to the old thread. How does that sound? But if there are 9-10 replys on page 80, DON'T REPLY!

see what I man by the danger...? then Scott's original message would have been deleted... :'(

Votes please, open for 80 pages, or leave it as is and start afresh?? I understand about the thread getting to the bottom, but alas, this new thread will always remain on top!

How are your fishies by the way? heh ;D
Chong

April
05-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Chong..the aussie 1 thread is stickied at the top. its there for all to see. lol.
just carry on posting here..and all will be well.

BlueTurquoise
05-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Oh yeah! Stickied! haha There you go! permanently up top! :)

Smokey
05-06-2003, 02:12 AM
Congradulations Australia. I believe you have kept this thread open, with more activity than an actually web site[ I remember a few from years back that slipped into the dust].

To all you Aussie, Aussie, Aussie blokes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just looking out my window .... snowing like crazy, again. Heavy snowfall warnings are out. I've had power outages since 4:30 pm .... good thing I have the discus tanks wrapped in 1'' styrofoam !
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Smokey

Ahhhh - only 32 more weeks till winter!!!!

Lee Discus
05-06-2003, 09:09 AM
hi aussie friends

just like to ask if any of yous interested in buying any of my breeding discus pairs?

i have a

breeding pair of P/B $400
and
scorpion snake skin male/ turq female $400

or both for $700

e mail is leesawan@iprimus.com.au

thank you
Lee

saints27
05-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi guys
I have been extremely busy of late and havent been posting for a couple of weeks .
Its good to see that the old thread will live on just like Walt Disney frozen and suspended in time !
I am moving houses at the moment (I have been for 2 weeks now) and I have half of my stuff between the 2 houses , im just trying to work out what to do with all of the fish ,moving 44 tanks and 2000 fish is not going to be an easy task.
I was considering selling the lot off but ive put too much hard work into them to be able to do that I Think .
I am going to be selling off certain strains that i dont want to continue with as well as a few other species just to stream line the operation ,Id really love to have a holiday but it is too hard to do with all the fish .
Any suggestions?

Jamie

BlueTurquoise
05-06-2003, 07:16 PM
:o wow Jamie, good luck with the move! touch wood I hope every single fishie makes it!

Chong

ari_wh
05-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Jamie,
So you haven't finished moving yet???? Gosh, I guess it is hard with 2000 fish.... I guess.. you can start selling your babies (if they are big enough), before moving... to help a little bit, and just keep your breeding pairs. Don't sell them all off, IMO, cause you might regret it and end up buying more once you get yourself establish in the new house. And trust me.... that will be more expensive. Although..... those rose reds..... yum!!!!

As far as holiday is concerned, as long as you don't have baby fish, you should be able to..... Adults are not hard to look after and you can leave them for a few days trip. We did that when we went to NZ a few months ago. We asked Scott's brother to feed them, although.... we had Rod :)close by in case of emergency... I guess.

So, when is the house warming party.....?? Don't forget to invite us.....lol :)

Smokey
05-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Howdey there Ari.
I thought you had gone into hibernation!
As always your sitting there with your fish net trying to scoop discus. Watch it jamie.

How is your baby comming along. soon ??? very soon ???

Smokey

nalah
05-07-2003, 07:04 AM
Hey smokey. now i bump into you here. cannot seem to stay apart,can we. LOL.

Matt and Jamie - hope all goes well with the moving. fingers crossed guys.

I have been getting a bit frustrated trying to decide if i should risk getting racks made. I posted in WATER section to find out the weight of water. don't know if my floor can take it.
This house is very very small and there's no where else to put tanks.Sad,but i may have to sell a few fish to make room for the ones i really want to keep. but how do you part with discus
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/q/depresse.gif

Rod
05-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi Pascale,

Nice thing about the metric system is the measurements all tie together really neatly. 1 liter of pure water weighs 1 kg.

HTH

ari_wh
05-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Smokey,
Not long now.... only 4 more weeks to go... Well, basically after next week, I can go in at any time.... Scary and exciting at the same time. But, so far so good... my obstetrician thinks I am a star patient, so everything should go normal (touch wood). So, if I disappear for a few days/weeks in the next few weeks..... that means... the baby has arrived..... ;)

Pascale,
Is your house on a slab? If it is, it should be ok even though it is a small house. How big are the racks and the tanks you want? My house is a highset and I have tanks everywhere upstairs without any problem. I just make sure to put the tanks on top of the beam, so there is enough support.

Rod,
Have to get you to come over after golfing one day..... cause the babies are getting big ;D ;D. Need more culling.... I think ;). This time we have the beer chilled for you.... lol.

nalah
05-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi Rod - yes. so that gives me over 800L of water already.
wanting to send you recent pics of your babies ( not really babies now) but my camera is really sh#!. i lie - I can't take good shots of themhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/q/sadface.gif

Ari - no slab. old federation style home. which is actually really spooky.
going off topic here but - under the house,its divided into small "rooms" and in one section,there is a hole in the ground. no way would i go under there. my husband did. this hole is big enough to bury a body.weird!but thats not what makes it spooky.its what goes on in the house....
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/d/spy.gif

but back to discus - my fish are growing and i need to make a decision

April
05-07-2003, 08:30 PM
Pascale....put another thick sheet of plywood down on the floor before the rack. and run the same way as the floor boards. thats what i was told. but if you put more plywood.it spreads the weight more evenly over the beams.
get the thick stuff. i had a few upstairs in an 80 year old building.and i was told to run them the same way as the floor boards. and the older wooden floors were half and inch thick. doesnt mean its the same there....

Ari...you cant just disappear. the babies crazy old aunt april in canada wants a report. ITS A BOY!!!! Or ITS A GIRL!!!!!
scott or someone can post it surely...or you can ask for internet access and have it all posted as soon as it happens!! surely.....you can.....lol.
Rod has to come and cull mine first Ari...theres a few there for him to cull. unless they manage to cull themselves first..
id like to see pics too Pascale....im sure their turning into hansome boys and girls. Are you sure they dont want to come to canada so you wont have to worry about racks and making a decision on who you keep? it will solve everything. :P

Smokey
05-08-2003, 03:45 AM
Rod is correct - 1 liter = 1 kilogram.
Glass wieghs 42 pounds per square foot.
Discus weigh - 16 ounces per pound.
Pascale -
Remember the total weight is carried over a horizontal distance. And the total wieght is carried by the ''legs'' of the stand.
Check out where the racks will be placed ... go downstairs and see if there are walls/support beams. Proberly are.

by the way; just what is going on in the house !!!!!!!!!

Hahahaaha I beat you to simplyangel fish..........

so, now you will be following ME....

Smokey

April
05-08-2003, 04:11 AM
speaking of....www.simplyangelfish.com is now fixed. ryan didnt have a redirect link to it. so go try again. in smokeys shadow im afraid...lol. i was the second member . i now have no angels. ::) they ate my swordtail babies and got evicted. lol. they grew big real fast.

nalah
05-08-2003, 05:11 AM
i just landed up on a religous site...
simplyangels.com....D"OH

its simplyangelfish.com. oh well.

i have another problem - one of my 50gal has a leak and i have no spare tank to move the discus till i can do the repair. what a day!!http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a0/boid.gif

April
05-08-2003, 08:43 AM
LOL Pascale. whooops...ok angelfish it is. maybe thats why it is that name..ryan might also have ended up there or told it was taken. hope you have been saved...while you were there. Hope you dont stay there instead of here....

ari_wh
05-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Pascale,
I know what you can do..... just sell your angelfish to make room for discus...lol. Who needs angels, if you have discus..... Anyway, is your house haunted or something?? I remember when we were overseas, we used to live in this house which was haunted upstairs. The ghost sometimes showed herself every now and then, complete with the laugh, the long hair and scary 'white costume' too......

You should be able to get a rack, as long as you don't put huge tanks on it, like a few 6x2x2 or something. A 3ft tank is big enough for a few discus and also not as heavy as a 4ft or 6ft, cause the glass is usually not as thick. Just something to think about.

April,
I will keep you all posted. If Scott can't get to the internet, you probably will hear from Rod anyway.... We certainly give him a call, when the time comes..... So, you will hear from us one way or the other.

April
05-09-2003, 12:15 AM
OK Ari....think we need a webcam pic of the baby. lol .
after all ..i;m pretty sure this is Simplys baby.

Smokey
05-09-2003, 03:59 AM
well ... this certanily is a ''fertile'' site.

good Luck ari !!!
Smokey

lesley
05-10-2003, 05:14 AM
;D

Hi, fellow Aussies - anyone in West Gippsland??

I am feeling very pleased with myself, have just bought three new additions to their new home. I am busy planning a new larger tank. I know that you will all know what a great feeling that is!

What sort of filters do you guys use?

nalah
05-10-2003, 07:47 AM
hi lesley, and
WELCOME

RE:filters. i used to use canisters but due to various reseans,i sold them all. i,like many others here,use aqua clears. easy to clean,etc. a bit expensive here but if you keep an eye on fish supplies at aussie auctions,you can sometimes get them a lot cheaper.

you'll start off with a few discus,but you'll end up with 50... i did.LOL a very addictive hobby.

Rod Coleman
05-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi Lesley,

Welcome to Simply ;D

When I first started I put a lot of effort into drilling tanks and building a wet/dry sump but now I'm quite happy with simple air-driven sponge filters.

I buy "Oxygen Plus Biofilter" double sponges from Aquaria Warehouse online for $12. They do the required job - only hassle is the suction cups don't last well and they tend to fall off the glass :'(

Have fun with your fish :thumbsup:

Regards
Rod

SHAUN
05-11-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi guys! I haven't posted in a while.........just been absorbing all the Simply info from the sideline.....I like to watch. I've just added to my little collection by purchasing 6 cute juvenile s/s from Freddie here in Bris. My plant tanks are thriving despite a 3 week period of 32/34 degreesC. I wondered why the guppies and platies wanted to spend their day lying on the bottom .....until I put back the thermometer. I guess plants enjoy an occassional "hot spa" treatment. The discus were happy. My variegated lotus has an abundance of offshoots ("pups") - would anyone round here like to adopt a pup or two? Free, to good homes only. Yes they have been wormed and housetrained - can view parents if necessary!

Ari & Scott,
Great to catch up with you both again last weekend. Less than 4 weeks to go - exciting times, eh? How are the new fishies and plants settling in? Saw some of my red lotus at LFS for $60. Is there more money in plants than discus?

Rod,
How are you? Greetings from the far north! How you all doin' in the deep south, in that country 'cross the river? Can we have an update on your breeding pairs?

Jaimie,
How did the move go? Fish OK? How are the discus fry progressing?

G'day to everyone else here.

Shaun

Smokey
05-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Welcome back . wondering where ya had ''disappeared'' to , shaun.

Hmmm - 32/34 C. you say. geee!
The snow storms have finally stopped, up here in the great white north country. A total of over 85 cm in 3 days. Then it rained for 5 days. One the positive note; temperature rarely drops below -2 C AND it is supposed to warm up to 10 above; today !!!!
No more power failures, thank good. I spent 6 hours in the dark doing water changes; just to keep the discus warm. Lots of bucketing that night. Hmmm , have to look into a battery operated pump!!! lol.

Just a thought - how about combing Canada with Australia - we can call it ''DISCUSVILLE''. TO EVEN OUT THE TEMPERATURES. We do got lots of water; mind you most of it is in the form of ''ICE''.

AND - just think what will happen if a Canadian MOOSE mates with one of your 'ROO'S'' - A BIG HAIRY 2 METERED ANTLERED BEAST THAT CAN JUMP IGLOOS !!! or beat the crap outa them thar 'gators, you all is always complaing 'bout. Or a Grissly bear and a Kowala bear ... wait we alrady got those ... THEY are called ''BADGERS''.
They kinda look like a walking floor mop --- but with a VERY BIG ATTITUDE !!!

Well enough of this here daydreaming ... Got to get ready for ...... MOTHERS DAY !

OH O just how many of you men outthere there forgot ??????

Get the roses and everything, or you will be in the discus dog house. lol

April
05-11-2003, 03:38 PM
good ideas there smokey...a moose with a pouch. cool.
my favourite animal . well ...bullwinkle anyhow.....
i have already offered to import skunks to oz...thought Rod might like one for hanging around his fishroom. cutel little gaffers....maybe they can breed with one of their animals.
Nice hot sunny day here...im sure its gettng up to 15 celcius. 8) ;D

ari_wh
05-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Hi Lesley,
Welcome to Aussie part of simply... I use trickle filter in my display tank, cannister filters in other 2 juvie tanks (not too hard to clean for me... because Scott cleans them....lol), and just sponge in baby tanks. So far so good for me :).

Shaun,
Good to hear from you again at simply.... Your guppies are doing really well in my betta tank. We ended up putting all of them in 1 tank, hence the betta doesnot know which one to attack... and ends up leaving them all alone :).
Plants are definitely expensive, especially the rare variety. If you can propagate them, you can sell them to buy more discus...... ;D. Just a thought.....
How come your tank is 32-34 deg?? Heater failure?? The plants would not like it very much, would they?

saints27
05-12-2003, 12:11 AM
Well I still havent moved fully yet , I just keep taking stuff down to the other house .
The fish will be the last thing to go ,as I dont want them to be in the other house with me in this one and keep having to go down there to feed them and W/C all the time.
Plus im trying to work out the best way to go about it !!

Jamie

Rod
05-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Hi shaun :wave:,

Babies are doing great , and the pair have produced another spawn which they are looking after at the moment. The scribbles also have a nice size spawn on at the moment, they have been quite problematic to breed so fingers crossed this spawn is the one.

This is a pic of the pair of scribbles

Rod
05-12-2003, 07:36 AM
Hi lesley,

Welcome to simply.

Rod :)

April
05-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Dont go offering all my scribbles away now.......lol.
Is the left fish the male? seems he has his viking helmet .....if it is......see......his striations are thicker and fancier and stand out more than the females. his fancy headress. hope im right..i might have to rethink my way of telling males. lol.
Hi Lesley. glad you found the aussie thread. did you read through all 79 pages of the first one? maybe thats why it took you so long to arrive.....lol. ::)
Lesley is fast becoming addicted to discus. 8) ;D

nalah
05-12-2003, 07:49 AM
guess its time i showed off my scribbles.... LOL.
i'll go try my luck.those little buggars move faster these days (or am i getting slower)
brb

nalah
05-12-2003, 08:05 AM
this is the best i can do for now. he hides when he sees me coming with the camera.
here he is (on the right) with one of his brothers

Smokey
05-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Very nice pic; Pascale. BEAUTIFUL DISCUS. Thanks for sharing.

For eveyone who has been bothering me for pics, just look at pascales - mine are similar; however mine are larger, more colorful. hehehehehehehe

so now, please stop bugging me, ok, please. I'm staring to get a complex/guilty feeling!!!!

April
05-12-2003, 11:18 AM
ok smokey we wouldnt want you to vanish....smokey is hereby exempt from picture taking. hmmmmmm
nice fish pascale. you have taken great care of them.

Smokey
05-12-2003, 11:22 AM
OH THANK YOU GREAT WEST COAST WOMAN .....

ronrca
05-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Hehe! No excuses Smokey! ;D

Btw, you better check your tanks again Smokey! You might not have any left! ;)

so now, please stop bugging me, ok, please. I'm starting to get a complex/guilty feeling!!!! Well, you should be feeling guilty! We want PICS! LOL!

Rod
05-12-2003, 05:05 PM
They look great Pascale , you've done a really good job growing them up :) It will be interesting to see if big blue turns out solid colored or not.

Hi April,

Well the fish on the right is the male in the pic i posted, must be the black body making the head appear more intense. I do agree with your helmet analogy though, many of my males have more intense colored heads when breeding.

Rod :)

nalah
05-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Rod - i love my little discus and i always try my best caring for them. good food,good water and tlc goes a long way.
you can imagine how heart broken i was when i lost fish a while back.
my little man sure is gorgeous isn't he? i love showing him off.LOL. even if he remains this colouring,he's a real stunner.

BlueTurquoise
05-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Wow I am sick for a few days and we reach page 4!!!

Nice fishies Pascale! They look great!

I have a few fish related problems of late. I had to remove my AquaClear as it simply too hard to maintain. See my tank does not have a removable top so it's a very tight squeeze at the back to fit even my AQ mini in. So now I am running Hydro Sponge V only which is working fine, however I discovered that there is not eniough mechanical filtration going on in the tank and there are tiny weeny little particles floating around. It bug the crap out of me and my fish! The blue one has been skittish lately, i think she is being effected by the tiny floating bits getting into her gills or something. She seems normal but yesterday she hit the tank so hard I thought she broke the glass!!! (my fish are quite big now.. 5 inches at least).

Anyway I have to think about upgrade of filtration, other than an Aquaclear (new territory for me, I have always relied on Sponge/AQ combo... The problem is what can fit... I am thinking cannister but I think they are more a headache than a cure.

hmm

Chong

April
05-14-2003, 12:44 AM
Chong. forget the canister. their a pain and my fish werent that happy.
i just got a hot magnum..if you can get them there. and i can use it for polishing or with carbon or other stuff inside. and you can move it about easy and its adjustable. and it has an on off switch and easy to start. just click and on it goes again. i;m mainly gonna use it for my stored water though or polishing etc. it has the microfilter.
but i have alot of tanks with just the hydros. and i just siphon the bottoms. or.you can get a powerhead with a quick filter that goes on the bottom..
anyone else with ideas?
you could ask the general forum.............lol. ;)

BlueTurquoise
05-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Oh I wasn't asking for advice I guess... I was jsut stating my problems to my fish family ;D

The issue is not the AQ or the Magnums, it's space. I don't have any room back there. It is a tight sqeeze to even get the AQ mini in there let alone anything else. My only other options are perhaps to modify the tank (saw it!) to allow for a Hang on the back filter.

I Don't like cannister idea either...

I'll post it on general forum i guess...

Chong

April
05-14-2003, 01:21 AM
put it on the side of the tank.
hows that sound? lol
or....move the tank out from the wall...easy as pie....lol. just drain and pull out a tad. refill and voila.

BlueTurquoise
05-14-2003, 01:34 AM
LOL April you make it sound so simple!

No it's the space between the top of the tank and the bottom of my lid. My lid is fixed, not removable and there is not enough space. I have to angle the mini just to get it in. And even if i drain the tank to very low levels, it's still a 4ft tank and it's still very heavy! it's hard to move cuase it's on carpet too...

I'll figure something out...

Chong

ari_wh
05-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Chong,
Both of my juvi tanks have cannister filters. I know it is a pain to clean... but no problem for me.. cause it is scott's job to clean them.....lol. But, I never notice any problem with my fishie. But then, it is personal preference, really.

Worth a try, if you don't have any space.

BlueTurquoise
05-14-2003, 02:01 AM
Thanks for advice ari, I may have to go cannister...

Chong

April
05-14-2003, 02:06 AM
ok chong you can go canister if you promise to spell it with one n. hows that?
chong..i just moved my 100 gallon tank off the stand and into another room all by my lonesome. lol. all in the leverage. superwoman!!! 4 foot is as light as ever. lol. one inch at a time. think of the ant that can move a rubber tree plant. you know that song? lol.
Hi Ari. ;D

BlueTurquoise
05-14-2003, 02:07 AM
LOL yeah but you forgot one tiny detail: I AM LAZY!!! ;D ;D ;D

Chong

April
05-14-2003, 02:09 AM
Maybe Jenny will do it for you then.....ok well let us all know the outcome. hows that? ;D

Rod
05-14-2003, 05:11 AM
No April, what ant can move a rubber tree?? sounds a bit sus to me....lol. Maybe if you sang the song i might know it ;D

Smokey
05-14-2003, 06:42 AM
OOOhhh OOO ; I had bettery turm the speakers OFF !!!

Morning ROD; how goes it ? Thanks for the oneliners. With your permission I will post it here for everybody to enjoy.

(1) My husband and I divorced over religious differences. He thought he was; God and I didn't!
(2) I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
(3) I Work Hard Because Millions On Welfare Depend on Me!
(4) Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
(5) I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
(6) Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.
(7) You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
(8) Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
(9) Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
(10) Quoting one is plagiarism; quoting many is research.
(11) I'm not a complete idiot -- some parts are missing.
(12) Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
(13) NyQuil, the stuffy, sneezy, why-the-heck-is-the-room-spinning medicine.
(14) God must love stupid people; he made so many.
(15) The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
(16) It IS as BAD as you think, and they ARE out to get you.
(17) Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.
(18) Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
(19) MOP AND GLOW - Floor wax used by Three Mile Island Cleanup team.
(20) Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it!
(21) Wrinkled Was Not One of the Things I Wanted to Be When I Grew up
(22) Procrastinate Now!
(23) My Dog Can Lick Anyone
(24) I Have a Degree in Liberal Arts; Do You Want Fries With That?
(25) FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It comes bundled with the software.
(26) A hangover is the wrath of grapes.
(27) A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.
(28) STUPIDITY IS NOT A HANDICAP. Park elsewhere!
(29) They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken !
(30) He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
(31) A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS, but it uses up three thousand times the memory.
(32) HAM AND EGGS - A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
(33) The trouble with life is there's no background music.
(34) The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.

April
05-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Smokey. you posted them before you got his permission. lol.
Oh....and your right. turn the speakers down everyone...im the worst singer in the world!!!!!! Rod.....your exempt....as Rods computer isnt that talented. lol. Smokey with no camera.....Rod who wont fix his speakers...hmmmmm what to do with you guys.
" I bet that ant can't move that rubber tree plant...
he's got high.......hopes. he;s got high hopes...
oops there goes another rubber tree plant
oops there goes another rubber tree plant.

ok there you go.dont remember the rest. kinda goes along with the ole i think i can theme.....or no such word as can't. .if you never sang that as a kid then you guys missed out . lol. you might have to go back and start over.

ronrca
05-14-2003, 10:55 AM
LOL!

Here's more:
- We are born naked, wet and hungry! Then things get worse!
- Sometimes I wake up grumpy, othertimes I let her sleep
- Always remember, your unique; like everyone else
- If we arent suppose to eat animals, why are they made with meat?
- I LIKE CATS! They taste like chicken!
- Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes!
- Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting
- Dont talk about yourself so much...we'll do that when you leave

And my favorite;
- Chaos, panic and disorder; my job is done here! ;D

nalah
05-14-2003, 04:28 PM
ronrca - :sometimes i wake up grumpy,othertimes i let her sleep"
and smokey - "they call it PMS because mad cow disease was already taken."

watch it boys or i might get you kicked out of our aussie forum.LOL

April - cute song.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/g0/claps.gif

ronrca
05-14-2003, 04:34 PM
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\ :computer2: :scared: :wasntme:

LOL! Sorry! I just couldnt resist! ;D

nalah
05-14-2003, 04:39 PM
you're lucky that i am one of these women that wake up in a good mood. apology accepted http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/wink.gif

ronrca
05-14-2003, 04:56 PM
:funny: Whew! I was getting a little worried for a bit! http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/funny/foodman.gif Thanks! :-* http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/tweetz/hug.gif

saints27
05-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Smokey
One of my favorites that I use when the occasion seems fit is
"People have the right to be stupid but you are just abusing the privellege "
or
"You cant put brains in statues"

Chong
How is it that you lid to your tank is fixed ? doesnt that mean that it is another side then???
"No it's the space between the top of the tank and the bottom of my lid. My lid is fixed"
Thats why there is water leaking all over your carpet youve gotta turn the tank around another 90 degrees so that the opening is at the top !!!

LOL

Jamie

nalah
05-14-2003, 07:48 PM
ROFLMAO http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/rofl.gif think i just p'd in my knickers...LOL

BlueTurquoise
05-14-2003, 09:04 PM
ROFL hahaha Oh! no wonder my fish are so unhappy!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//YaBBImages/banghead.gif like der chong!http://forum.simplydiscus.com//YaBBImages/banghead.gif

Let me try to explain:

I have posted a pic of my 4ft before. Basically, newer tanks have a base, the tank and then hood thingy that sits on top right? the wooden hood has a hinged openning at the top, and it is wide open at the back to allow for filters and stuff, that's the norm these days.

Well my stand is an ancient one piece where the hood and the base is stuck together, meaning that I have to slide the tank in from the back as I cannot remove the lid/hood becuase it is stuck on via side panels. At the back of the hood, instead of being open and free of obstruction I have a plank of wood that runs along the back face of the hood. THe gap between the hood and the tank is roughly 2 inches. Just enough to fit in a AQ if I angle it in by turning the unit 45 degrees and jiggling it abit :P Becuase I have to turn it at that angle it means that the tank needs to be approx 5-8 inches away from the wall or more or else I just can't move in or out for cleaning. I have to pretty much move the whole tank everytime I need to get at it and I don't like that and neither do my poor fish!

I hope that's clearer for everyone...

I might have to think about internal power box sponge but god I hate them too... so hard to clean... whenever you lift them out for cleaning the crap goes everywhere! I love hang on the backs but it just doesn't fit (hence why I never baught a AQ500 Pascale! it most likely won't fit!)

Anyway further investigation is needed. Maybe I need a powerhead for the Hydros...? hmmm

Chong

BlueTurquoise
05-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Alternatively, I am thinking Hack saw and "mofications" to the hood...

Chong

April
05-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Chong i have a better idea. ditch the blasted hood or canopy and.....get a glass hinged lid made. all will be well. their so....easy. and they look just as nice with just a glass lid. who needs all those fancy canopies etc? you can still add a light bar..on top of the glass lid.
speaking of..i have a tank stand on top of my car to drag upstairs now....speaking of ants who can move rubber tree plants..
not just upstairs. through the underground down hte stairs in the elevator through the door and the hall and into my suite and the whole time convincing everyone its a coffee table and the glass is coming up next. :o
actually when i moved in someone said that. thats a nice table...he said you just need a nice top for it . i said i have a nice glass top. lol. kinda three dimensional at that.
oh........Rod i just realized why you refuse to fix the sound on your puter. you heard my singing was real real bad..so you quickly disconnected the sound!!!

BlueTurquoise
05-14-2003, 10:03 PM
That means I have to ditch the lot! Stand and all and get a new stand. Like i said I can't remove the hood... it's stuck to the stand completely. Don't want to resort to new tank stand just yet...

Chong

April
05-14-2003, 10:18 PM
lol ok chong. ive never heard of that kind of stand and canopy. lol.sell it i say.and get a different less complicated one. Pascale.....chong has a stand and canopy all joined he wants to sell you. lol.
i have a better idea. not that i know of what i speak. drill the tank and do a wetdry underneath it. all will be fine....

nalah
05-14-2003, 10:27 PM
DITCH THE STAND SET UP. keep the tank Chong.

gee April - thanks.... pass the rejects on to me..no thanks.
besides,i really cannot put another tank in there unless on racks. the room is full now. no floor space left.

April
05-14-2003, 11:02 PM
How did you make out with your rack Pascale? did it fall throught the floor yet? bet thats nice to have them all on racks. wish i could have all my tanks in a row. easier to do wc. just go down the row.
hope it all went well.
ok Pascale doesnt want your setup. shes right. keep the tank sell the stand. please dont tell us the tank is joined to the stand also...lol.

BlueTurquoise
05-14-2003, 11:26 PM
LOL the tank is really not worth it... I were to upgrade the stand I may as well do the lot if you know what I mean.

More investigation needed.

Meanwhile did you know that it is still raining heavily in Sydney? Pascale says her garden is totally flooded! Many parts of Sydney is flooded (ie Bexley Road!!! :o ) and Southerland Shire has been declared as a Natural Disaster area or whatever. If it keeps on raining the way it does I will have to tarde my car in for a boat and let my fish swim in the flooded streets!

Chong

April
05-15-2003, 12:12 AM
wow..havent heard that....guess the drought is over then for now?
hope the sharks and crocs dont move in....

BlueTurquoise
05-15-2003, 12:13 AM
We all hope that! lol

lesley
05-15-2003, 05:10 AM
:o good to see this thread going strong! Thanks Rod, for your advice - am busy getting a new tank organised, and you have helped muchly with the filter situation.

Smokey, loved your oneliners, I support the staff in a call centre and there are times when we need some laughs, and some of those are SO relevant - I'm putting yours up on the board tomorrow.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, go, go, go!

nalah
05-15-2003, 06:03 AM
unfortunately April,the rain never falls where it's needed. drought areas got no rain. only sydney and surrounding suburbs... and heaps of it.

ari_wh
05-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Lesley,
This thread is always going strong ;D ;D. Good luck with the new tank... I am sure you are excited..... Don't forget to post photos.

Chong,
Keep the tank if you decide to get rid of the stand and hood, cause you never know when you would need new tanks for baby discus..... Just in case, your discus decide to start getting naughty ;D.

Rod,
Thanks for culling my fishie.... They are getting big and getting harder to cull. Besides, Scott and I don't have your eyes for detail.....

BlueTurquoise
05-15-2003, 06:57 PM
And it's still coming down in torrents...

Yes good idea about keeping the tank. But what i meant was if I am going to replace the stand, I may as well do the lot all at once.

Hi Lesley, pleased to meet you! :wave: Of course we are strongdon'tberediculous! hehe Onwards to another 79 pages!!!

Chong

nalah
05-15-2003, 07:09 PM
Of course we are strongdon'tberediculous!

Chong

new wod Chong? LOL. your brain starting to flood too,i see.

mate. if this keeps up,i will need a boat to venture outside.this is crazy. and do you know they have not lifted water restrictions because the dams are no fuller.

scottwheels
05-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Stand schmand Chong! Put in a rack!

Scott

April
05-15-2003, 09:04 PM
LOL yeah Chong...get a rack!!! Pascale did or is ....so you can make one also!!!! then start collecting tanks to go on the rack!!!!
Ari . i heard your fry are looking very nice. : )))
Now..if only i can get that same big bad culling man to come and cull mine...im still waiting. ::) i have two who need culling..and their the biggest and strongest of the lot. shouldve done it when they were tiny. maybe i can make a new fancy lyretail discus? lol..

BlueTurquoise
05-15-2003, 09:10 PM
I live in an appartment with carpet! I don't think racks will suite the decor!

but seriously, I thought of that too!!! hmmm

Hey Pascale, you have to let me come over and see the racks when you are done! also call me if you need any help setting em up etc (*gasp* how rare an offer was that?? ;D ;D ;D )

Chong

nalah
05-16-2003, 02:24 AM
if Chong sets up racks,his beloved will send him to my place - to live in the dog house.LOL

Jenny did say you could set up in the garage dear boy...whats stopping you?

BlueTurquoise
05-16-2003, 02:32 AM
The garage is not ideal either... i have plumbing prblems down there (sounds almost rude!) but seriously, if I kept fish in garage it would mean I have to use strata water (ie everyone will pay my water bill!) and I am sure to get complaints when they find out that I have a hatchery running on Strata water!!!

Too much of a headache! I'm Lazy remember!

Chong

BlueTurquoise
05-16-2003, 08:09 PM
my are fishies so temperimental... today they are very happy again! 2 days ago the Diamond blue lady hit herself on the side of the tank so hard I thought she'd crack the tank. Today she has firey red eyes and being her usual self again.

hmmm

Chong

Smokey
05-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Howdey ya all; thought i would just give you all a weather up-date. A Canadian Rocky Mountain weaterh up-date - Saturaday was bright and sunny, got up to 7C. Woke up this morning - 20 cm of fresh snow.
Looked out the back window to see this mangy bear.

Ann
05-18-2003, 07:50 PM
Hi all I just posted all the pictures of my fish in the photo gallery section if you are interested. This is specially for you pascale.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=9741;st art=0

Ann

nalah
05-19-2003, 02:04 AM
Smokey - please,please,PLEASE - post photos of your property,snow and all. it sounds absolutely beautiful.

Ann - great pics. i haven't taken any of the babies yet. i got cobalts. they are starting to colour upbut with my photography skills,nothing looks good.LOL

BlueTurquoise
05-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Smokey - No way, you're pulling our legs! SERIOUSLY you filmed that "beast" yourself? in your back yard??? :o :o :o WOW!!! that is amazing! :o :o :o

You'll have to do what Pascale said!

Well in case you were all wondering, I put in my Fluval 4 Sponge internal power sponge filter into the tank. It works very well but one thing why I did not like it is becuase when you lift it out of the tank to clean it, all the gunk inside the filter falls out into the tank and makes a huge mess.

A sheer act of brilliance hit me and wrapped the filter in one of my wife's thick winter panty hoses (old one of course! teeheehee) not the thin summer type but the really thick ones. This does 2 things: stops the worms getting sucked in there, and prevents large chunks of gunk exiting the filter when I lift it out for cleaning.

Dunno why I didn't think of this before... I have tried something similar but I think I used summer panty hose that was too thin to do the job. Fingers Crossed.

The fish love it though, no more tiny weeny bits of crap floating around! I forgot how good it works, as it has been gathering dust for awhile.

Chong

April
05-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Chong...dont believe smokeys pic for a sec. he does not live with the polar bears. black bears and grizzly bears yes....and cougars..but not polar bears.
hes not quite far enough north for that...

scottwheels
05-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Chong, see if you can take a photo of a yowie in your back yard! A yowie would beat a polar bear hands down! I don't know their favourite food to use as a lure - but I'm sure there's lots of literature on the net... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Scott (soon to have his hands full...)

April
05-20-2003, 07:01 PM
Scott..aka fridge....aka busy daddy.... I think Smokey is the original Yowie. so not sure chong can beat a polar bear with a yowie.....havent you wondered why we dont get a pic of Smokey? hes scared he will be hunted down and put on display.
ive heard they like round fish to eat. no wonder he wants to empty oz out of discus.

nalah
05-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Scott - you mean a photo of the big bloke that did this to my tree the other day??
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/wink.gif

BlueTurquoise
05-20-2003, 07:57 PM
Oh yeah Yowie! the lure to use for Yowie is naughty children, every country kid knows that! Mum's all over preech that to their children! ;D ;D ;D

or maybe just me cuase I was naughty... :P

PS. We NSWelshman like to call em Bunyips thanks! And yes they will kick a polar bear's @ss! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/rofl.gif

Chong

April
05-20-2003, 08:15 PM
well here they are sasquatches. or the abominable snowman. or big foot.
havent you seen rudolph? our sasquatches are brown though...like a big old gorillaman. big feet...and hairy head and body.
look Pascale..your broken tree is behind him. lol

BlueTurquoise
05-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Bunyip talk:

http://www.xproject.net/archives/cryptozoology/bunyip.html

BlueTurquoise
05-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Pascale,

how is your earthworm culture going??? you have not said anything...

Chong

BlueTurquoise
05-21-2003, 02:52 AM
PS. In case some of you are Aussie Aussie Aussie only participators (ie don't go elsewhere on this forum, shame on you! :P )

check the winners of the ADA out, including the champ:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=8648

Chong

nalah
05-21-2003, 04:06 AM
Chong - were you been boy. thats an old thread. and its been up on DPH for ages.LOL

Earthworms. well lets see... they eat,they crap thus producing great fertilizer. and they breed,giving me baby worms for my fish. its great actually. will take pics tomorrow and post em .

April. if he was in my yard,i would sh@# myself.LOL

Rod
05-21-2003, 04:43 AM
G'day smokey,

I swear that black thing next to the polar bear looks like a giant black finger, strange art work mate?? ;)LOL.

Wheather report for sunny queensland, 20c night temps and 30c days. 8)

Hi everyone,

Here's a pic of my baby red turquoise, they are 27 days old in the pic. I took them away from the parents on the 7th day and the pair now have babies again feeding from the sides :) I haven't culled deformities yet, so please excuse the little runt and the one with a deformed face :D

Rod

Rod
05-21-2003, 04:49 AM
btw, thanks Scott and Ari for taking the digital pic for me and reducing the size. Many thanks, i know your baby is very close and i'm very grateful you found the time for me :)

Can anyone spot the discus in the above pic with the hatchet fish body shape....very weird. :o

taybelZ
05-21-2003, 09:08 AM
i see it Rod, its the single one by himself up @ the top isn't it?

BTW thought i might share some pics of my new guys..
my new goldens, tho there are 2 white looking fish which have come from the batch.

taybelZ
05-21-2003, 09:09 AM
another 1

taybelZ
05-21-2003, 09:11 AM
PS.. your red turks look pretty nice for 1 month old, nice red colour developing in em.
:)

Smokey
05-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Howdey; actually the ''POLAR BEAR'' was just looking for something to snack on. as for your ''BUNNY'' ot what ever ya all call him --- PHHT - :thumbsdown: :smash: :thumbsdown:
Hear is the article to prove it.

Bear Attacks Sub
During the ICEX 2003 naval exercises near the North Pole, the American submarine Connecticut (SSN 22) poked it's sail and rudder through the ice. When an officer looked around outside via the periscope, he noted that his sub was being stalked by a hostile polar bear. The periscope cam was turned on, and these photos of a polar bear chewing on the subs rear rudder resulted. The damage was said to be minor. The SSN 22 is a Seawolf class boat, one of the navy's newest submarines. It wasn't designed as a polar bear snack, but that's how life is sometimes.

Just to let ya all know!!! LOL.

Smokey

Smokey
05-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Chong - I have a red diamond that occasionaly tires to ''escape'' in a similar manner. Bang, crash, splash.

good to see you are productive ... Rod L. by the way , you do realize your wife has been sending me love letters !!! LOL. Thanks for the ha ha's !

Smokey

The discus are doing fine. Just getting ready to celebrate their first birthday. Ballons, bloodworm cake, etc.

BlueTurquoise
05-22-2003, 12:44 AM
Smokey, these fish have the houdini gene?

Nice fish Rod! you have mail!!! ;D

Chong

April
05-22-2003, 01:31 AM
ok its not that easy to see..so hope im not wrong. but ..heres your hatchet fish? pointy bottom fin? if not..im fired. and i dont want to win that fish as my consolation prize. ive picked out mine....now dont lose track of them. ;D

BlueTurquoise
05-22-2003, 01:33 AM
Hold on one minute!!! who says you have first dibs???

April
05-22-2003, 01:37 AM
Hee hee. cause i begged him to get breeding? does that count? dont worry...Chong. he has a few batches going. :thumbsup:

BlueTurquoise
05-22-2003, 01:44 AM
hehehe :thumbsup:

Rod
05-22-2003, 02:47 AM
LOL April, ok i'll save you those two, maybe i could clip a little tag onto the tail for you?? Maybe the canadian flag??

Ok noones guessed the hatchetdiscus fish yet, he looks like he is missing a big chunk of his body. its positioned just to the right of aprils upper fish.

Rod
05-22-2003, 02:52 AM
Hi dave,

thanks for the nice compliment about the baby rt's. Your goldens look really nice as well, did you breed those yourself?? they look very clean and nice shape. The whiter ones look very interesting to me, could turn out quite special color.

BlueTurquoise
05-22-2003, 02:59 AM
Start applying for a visa for those 2 babies!!! passport photos and ice hockey lessons!

Chong

taybelZ
05-22-2003, 03:22 AM
Rod i didn't breed them, i wish i did :)
Charlie bred em, i've got a pic of the parents they are huge!!!
Picture doesn't really do much justice for em, the male is kinda camera shy :D

nalah
05-22-2003, 05:12 AM
Rod. this what you looking for?
:funny: :fish:

Ann
05-22-2003, 06:14 AM
here is the fish I think you are looking for.

Ann

April
05-22-2003, 08:09 AM
ok.....now i see it...just looked like a shadow or someone else was in front...ok that is gonna be one special fish. im sure you can start a new thing.
ok...Rod dont mix my fish up now. lol.

Rod
05-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Well done Ann, weird fish huh?? He actually has a tiny bit of anal fin at each end of the missing body part....lol. poor guy, i feel so sorry for him, he's as healthy and growing as well as the rest, but of course he has to be culled.

April
05-22-2003, 07:44 PM
yeah...thats your description...the big bad cullerman.
hard to believe he has all his organs etc with a hunk that big missing. obviously discus dont need all their body...its all just for looks. ::)

BlueTurquoise
05-22-2003, 09:39 PM
:spank: Rod the big bad cullerman!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Chong

Rod
05-23-2003, 05:11 AM
LOL Smokey,

I just saw your comment about my wife sending you love letters!! :funny: Sue's a great girl, funny, intelligent , beautiful, a great mum and she's standing right behind me. ;D

Hi Dave,

So charlies breeding them huh???...hmmmmmmmm, might have to give him a call!!

Hi April and Chong,

Yeah thats me, the big bad cullerman...lol. I'm available for culling duty for a very cheap rate, send me an airline ticket and i'm on my way.

Rod

April
05-23-2003, 05:16 AM
LOl. ok...wait for it..... i"ll send a walker with it as by the time i send it...you will need one to get around. lol. might have to sell a few fish to pay for that.....hope i dont sell the culls in the meantime seeming you didnt come to cull. ::)

Dave..your fish look very nice.:thumbsup: keep us updated as they grow.

Smokey
05-24-2003, 02:35 AM
Very good choice of words, rod. All my best .

Smokey

BlueTurquoise
05-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi all!

So the truth comes out!!!

Background story: I spent $200 for a second hand 4ft tank and stand 6 months ago and apparently "it was too expensive" says my wife (who incidently calls my fish "those bloody discus" hehe )

Currently I keep her 2 gold fish Bobby and Yoshi in a small 15 gal tank. they are jolly little fish (well not so little anymore). Anyway she loves these fish.

I went to LFS to buy a new fluoro bulb this weekend and took Jenny (my wife) along. She saw this 40gal (?) corner tank (you know it's a triangular/diamond shaped tank with stand and hood that was a whopping (for gold fish standards) $600 and she was all gooey after that ie. "gee Chong that would look really good in the corner with a nice light, gravel and a plant or two. Say what do you think of Walnut stain?"

... :(

Chong

April
05-25-2003, 08:39 PM
LOL Chong . now thats funny . tell her if she gets one you want one for the other corner. hows that sound? only fair....

BlueTurquoise
05-25-2003, 08:42 PM
LOL fairs fair!!! ;D

ari_wh
05-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Chong,

There is nothing wrong with wanting goldfish.... :). I have an octagonal tank near my front door with various fancy goldfish.... Scott bought it for my birthday last year. Also, it is good feng shui. I love my discus... but I can't help loving those freakie cute looking fancy goldfish.... ;) They are beautiful in their own way..... ;D

BlueTurquoise
05-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Don't get me wrong. I like gold fish... Bobby (black moore) is my fish and Yoshi (fantail godl) is her fish that she wanted as a companion. I like them and all and they are great, however i would rather spend the money where it is due: my discus lol

Chong

April
05-25-2003, 09:16 PM
thats ok i have koi in my living room. soon they will outgrow that tank....no idea what im gonna do with them. lol. Maybe my bathtub? think the kids would mind not getting a bath anymore? wonder how many gallons a bathtub is?
sold my swordtails though. emptied a tank. 8)

BlueTurquoise
05-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Pond baby pond! Koi + pond = cleche! hehe

April
05-25-2003, 10:53 PM
no pond chong....im on the fifth floor. lol.

BlueTurquoise
05-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Oh LOL hehe

They do fine in a 4-5ft tank. A family friend has a 14inch koi (amongst others) living happily in a 5ft...

Chong

nalah
05-26-2003, 01:37 AM
$200 for 2nd hand - thats steap. Trans sells stand + tank = $175.00.

Been a bit sick last few days.actually,that's an understatement. spent 2 days on the lounge,couldn't stand.
but still soldiered on with the wc. my kids need me.LOL

re: koi. the more water,the bigger they grow.

BlueTurquoise
05-26-2003, 01:43 AM
$175 for 4ft tank and stand? get out f here...!

I got a light and cannister filter too...

PS. Hope you felling better soon Pascale!

nalah
05-26-2003, 03:26 AM
you got an ok deal then Chong.

btw,you'll have to post pics of your 3 discus...haven't seen them in so long now. must be real big now.and post pics of the new ones also.

saints27
05-26-2003, 07:52 AM
Hi guys im still here
Havent moved yet (fish that is ) Im still waiting to sell this place .
Chong
Ill do the corner tank plus stand for $300 ill even make sure its got a lid for you . LOL
Did you know Koi are illegal in Queensland ??
ok that was my fortnightly post
catch you all later

Jamie

Rod Coleman
05-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Hi Folks

Just a quick report to say that Rod L's fish came down on a plane today and are swimming around my tank with big grins on their little faces ;D ;D ;D

Me too. Err - no I'm not actually in the tank with 'em - just grinning. ::)

Thanks a heap, Rod.

I'll post pics soon.

Regards
Rod

April
05-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi Jamie. yes...i knew that koi are illegal in Queensland. hope theirs no illegal immigrant koi in Queensland....
Rod C. glad to hear they made it safe and sound. well....kinda wish they overshot their landing place and carried on a bit further..but guess the plane was most likely headed the wrong way anyhow. needed to go a tad north really...when you tell those fish your name is Rod their gonna think you lost it. lol

BlueTurquoise
05-26-2003, 07:24 PM
Howdy!

Koi illegal in QLD? you're joking aren't you??? WHY??? :o

My 3 are happy and healthy and FAT. I think they are all girls... but how can one be sure?

On the weekend I baught 4 babies. All 4 are doing well in quarantine. I am getting a new digital camera today (well web cam thingy) so i can post more pix of all of my fish.

Gee Pascale, how many fish do you have in total now?

Chong

lesley
05-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Hi guys,

What online Australian site do you use to get your Discus supplies - you surely do need lots!!! Specifically, test kits of all the necessary varieties :-\

BlueTurquoise
05-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi,

I have always used www.aquaria.com.au and have never been dissapointed.

cheers,

nalah
05-27-2003, 08:02 PM
www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au (http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au)
find them to be a bit cheaper

hey chong,you're a mod.whats going on. i am getting notification emails that replies have been made to a certain thread. yet when i click on the link,it says...you are not allowed to access this area.
this has been happening for 2 days now.??????? http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=9925;st art=new

BlueTurquoise
05-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Oh just ignore them. When mods remove threads for various reasons it does this. Dun ask me! I am non technical! lol

Chong

ps. I didn't even know about http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/ !!! :o :o :o

Have you been hiding this on purpose? ;D :P :D

BlueTurquoise
05-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Ahhh i see, they don't sell certain things that www.aquaria.com.au sell, for instance fluoro bulbs, Hydro sponges... but gee you are right, some things are cheaper!

ari_wh
05-27-2003, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone @ Aussie³ II... Like Jamie, it's time for my fortnightly post too. Where to start - our white pigeon x RT babies are growing like crazy. Strangely enough, there are 75% pigeons and 25% turk offspring. The pigeons look really clean at 2.5 months old, so hopefully they'll stay that way. The turks are developing a checkboard pattern, really fine blue spots all over. We let the parents raise a spawn because we felt sorry for them in the community tank, all their free swimmers kept getting eaten... I guess fry can't tell the difference between ma and pa and a hungry uncle...

I'll post some pictures later. They'll be ready for new homes in another couple of weeks! Jamie, how are your blue diamond babies??? I'm still interested in some homegrown BDs!! Chong, your wife might be catching the bug... it starts with goldfish, and you know where it ends up!!

Ari is 39 weeks now, thats 8 and 3/4 months... Any day now, the doctor said. Then it'll be nappy changes rather than water changes... No, I can't let the discus suffer, when I'm up at 3am to change a nappy, I'll do a quick water change. There's a discus tank in the baby's room already. Start 'em young!!

Hello to the aussie-canucks too. Cya later.

Cheers,

Scott

BlueTurquoise
05-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Hi Ari!!!!!!!!!

Wow not long to go at all! How exciting! Be sure to take lots of pics! take care!

April
05-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi Ari ..aka scott. did you break into aris member log-in?
sounds like things are going well. glad she waited till you got back.
make sure you let us all know a.s.a.p when our newest and youngest simply member arrives!!!

nalah
05-28-2003, 05:00 AM
I'm back,finally..phew!! started getting withdrawal symptoms. was off line for a few hours while i was getting a new hard drive....

Ari and Scott- you will be too busy with the new arrival to visit here,so all the very best wishes on the big day. Ari,heaps of drugs and you'll be fine.LOL

Chong - i wouldn't by tubes via mail order and doubt they would send them (they can and do explode if dropped)
As for the sponge filters,i order mine from canada. much better qualaity and great price.

lesley
05-28-2003, 05:34 AM
Thanks Pascale and Chong - I will certainly be taking advantage - the Tetra test kits are $32.95 at our local store, and thats the cheaper one. My poor husband is reeling - I was just going to start up again one tropical tank with a few pretty fish and we were going to lounge back in the evenings after a stressful day and enjoy. I am just not game to add up all the costs of my new obsession.

Pascale, I know how you feel when your computer is out of action - like you have lost two legs!! or maybe both arms as well!!

Lesley

saints27
05-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Scott
Hope everything goes well with Ari and the baby.
I look forward to wetting the babies head !!!
Blue Diamond babies arent good at the moment I lost a tank full of fry as I was too busy running around with the move and so forth that I didnt give them the attention that they required.
I keep wiping eggs off the walls and breeding posts of tanks as I dont want to have to move babies once I finally start moving tanks.
i finally got the Severums to succesfully spawn but thats a long story for another time.

Lesley
Welcome to the forum any accesories you want just IM me and let me know what you are after and Ill see what price I can get it for .

Jamie

ozarowana
05-30-2003, 12:06 AM
About culling...

I know that spawn size varies, but what average % would remain after you get the big bad cullman to visit? Or does this % vary alot also?

nalah
05-30-2003, 04:53 AM
Dave (taybelZ)
Happy Birthday

Rod
05-30-2003, 06:00 AM
Happy birthday Dave ;D

Hi Ozarowana,

Cull rates depend on strain and even individual pairs, and the breeders ideals i guess as well. 10% would be considered very good, prob more like 25% to 50% for some strains if you are strict.

HTH

ari_wh
05-30-2003, 07:39 AM
Hey everyone, I posted some pics of our white pigeon X turq spawn. Check em out at

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=10054

Pretty cute huh? (Proud parents) ;D

April
05-30-2003, 09:15 AM
Happy Birthday Dave!! your gettin old..... ;D :balloon:
great babies ari. thats amazing how blue he is for so young. think you need to keep him. 8)

BlueTurquoise
05-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Nice pics Ari.

Habby bday Dave!

taybelZ
05-31-2003, 08:45 PM
hehehe thanks guys, i turned 19 in case ya' all didn't know.
Its a shame, this time of the year i'm always bombarded with exams and assignments as uni comes to a end of semester break. I went out for dinner with my parents last night, and had a nice meal. Didn't get up to too much afterwoods. Yes April i'm getting old, my last year of beening a teen, then i guess i have to get my act together hahahaha!

Anyway,
Ari nice looking babies you got there as well look nice and colourful. :)

yippy
06-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Nice babies ari, I might have to buy one off you! My boyfriend is always saying that i go for all the blues and we need some different colour in the tank - now that donna has closed her shop i wont buy discus off any of the shops down here - you saw them all when you came down - some arent real good. Shes got some discus at home fro sale that werent sold in the shop but theyre all blue diamonds and turquoise colours - so i may just have to come and look at yours when i get up there with you babys present (crown tail betta), Gotta start them early Ari!
Kerry

April
06-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Yippy....buy 10 off of ari and scott!!! you might have a real nice group. all a bit different. one just wont do!! remember...all those babies are eating buns food. lol.
yeah.sure.start a new tank. sounds good to me....
ask ari i gave her alot of encouragement also....awhile back to get new fish. now look at her. lol.

yippy
06-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Yeah April, maybe ari and scott should do a swap for the 10 baby discus for the crown tail betta ive got her! Well he was $6 but theres extra costs involved - petrol to get to the shop to pick him up, babysitting him until i deliver him, feeding him while he's here (he's eating 6 worms a day), heating costs (have him a tank with heater), water expenses, dechlorinator expenses, salt expenses - over 6 days this all ads up. Dont you agree?!!!! In fact maybe its worth more than 10 discus.
Yippy 8)

Mattzilla
06-05-2003, 06:51 AM
hi guys...i havn't written here for a while.

pascale...you said if i had some pictures of my babies to show you...well got to
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=10223
to check them out.

i hope everyone is well

matt

mas
06-06-2003, 08:54 AM
hey ya'll. been busy doing anything else but reading simply for too long. a new thread and all!

to lesleys question a few pages back, www.aquamail.com.au is pretty good as well. i ordered a number of plants off them once, they came on time and in great condition.

cyas,
.marcus

lesley
06-06-2003, 05:25 PM
thanks Marcus, with the help from you guys I can now afford to buy more discus!!

We had an inch of rain yesterday, life is good!!

Rod Coleman
06-07-2003, 01:35 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just posted pics of the fish I won donated by Rod Lewis. Can you believe they've laid eggs already? Quaaaaaaality fish, Rod!

Please have a look at the post:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=10279

Hey - I think they like being owned by Rods ;D ;D ;D See how they're smiling April. ;)

Regards
Rod

April
06-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Other Rod....im sure they are smiling as they think their humoring you when you told them your name is Rod. their smiling saying.....its ok guys...just let him believe hes Rod.
or...their smiling as their plotting a way to get back on a quantas plane to finish their journey to vancouver.
oki will go check out their smiling little faces now.
get those fish raising those nice eggs.

Rod Coleman
06-07-2003, 01:44 AM
LOL April,

Maybe the next generation will emigrate.

Rod

Mattzilla
06-07-2003, 02:06 AM
they are so beautiful rod. do you have a web site or listing of fish you have for sale???
thanks mate

April
06-07-2003, 02:10 AM
Matt...which Rod. lol.
all far too confusing if you ask me.....
Dont worry i will clean oz out of all their nice fish yet. :thumbsup: ::)

Rod Coleman
06-07-2003, 02:40 AM
Not confusing to us Rods. 8)

Rod Lewis is the one with the website - can't remember the URL. You could IM him, Mat.

Don't think I'm up to shipping yet.

Rod

Mattzilla
06-07-2003, 03:09 AM
rod lewis i mean...

nalah
06-07-2003, 04:03 AM
been busy so i haven't posted much.
no news really - one of my pairs continues to spawn on a regular basis but all the eggs go white.

the other pair have been on holiday - good food,good wine...ooops.good WATER..LOL. but back to business as of today.

Rod II - nice fishies you won yourself. they sure did settle in quickly. but with healthy fish,there's no reason why they shouldn't. keep us up-dated with the babies.

Rod I - still no parcel - whats the bet you wrote the wrong address again.LOL

Matt - Rod I 's website is down at present. maybe if we all nag him,he'll get it back up.the website,that is ;)

April
06-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Yeah.....Rod....at least pic pages ....so we can go see the pics of nice fishies. save you emailing pics.....
Pascale....that aussie mail and Rod dont get along. take my word for it.

Rod
06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi Matt,

I did have a website at one stage when i was breeding heaps of fish, but lately i've had no need for one. To respond properly to the emails generated by the site took me a couple of hours each day as i'm a very slow typer. I didn't mind when it was a fulltime living for me to breed, but now that i work 40hours i simply don't have that time to spend.

Hi Rod,

Glad the discus have found a good home at your place :)

LOL Pascale,

Yeah i saw that joke you snuck in at the end of your post ;D

Rod

nalah
06-09-2003, 05:05 PM
what joke!http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/evillol.gif

Rod
06-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Almost forgot to mention Pascale, well i don't know what is happening with your letter. I'm sure i rwote the right address this time :-[ I'll send again if it doesn't arrive this week.

Rod

nalah
06-09-2003, 06:02 PM
look at this Rod - he's about 5" now and his color is changing to a turquoise blue.before he was a palish blue color.

Smokey
06-10-2003, 03:51 AM
Great looking fish. god, I love them thar turquoise colors.

What have you been so busy doing. ??
Isn't fall the time to relax. go out and feed some of the sharks, lol

be carful

Smokey

taybelZ
06-10-2003, 09:07 AM
wow!
thats a stunner fish Pascale.

April
06-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Pascale...only one thing wrong with that fish. hes in the wrong tank!!!! ask him if hed like a nice holiday in canada? he may jump at the chance. lol.
hes turning out great.

nalah
06-10-2003, 06:00 PM
he's a one of - he is from the same spawn as the scribbles.
he is pretty special to me this little guy.

as for a holiday to canada - at the moment he is enjoying his youth here in sydney. but one day,he may send his kids there for a holiday.LOL

thanks Dave. and how are your babies going.

Bass
06-11-2003, 02:48 AM
I just have one thing to say...

GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEB LUES!GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEBLUES!

Thanks for your attention.

Wait, forgot the end of it... GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEBLUES!GOTHEBLUES!

BlueTurquoise
06-11-2003, 02:50 AM
LOL I agree on that one! ;D

Smokey
06-11-2003, 03:00 AM
Bass; who the hell are the "Blues" ?

not another "croc: wrestler!!!!

hahahahahahaha
Smokey

BlueTurquoise
06-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Blues are NSW in the rugby league football State Of origin match this weekend vs QLD!

GO THE BLUES! YOU GET EM BOYS! ;D

April
06-11-2003, 03:05 AM
go maroons...go maroons...right Rod and ari and scott?
Bass....if you get to queensland...im gonna convince them to wrap you up in maroon...
then get a pic of you.
ok im voting for the maroons...think ari might miss it this year?
shes meant to be concentrating on other issues. Ari? dont delay things now just for that game....

BlueTurquoise
06-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Morons... I mean Maroons? no way Pril! I am shocked! :o ;D ;D

Sorry cain toads, 3-0 mates! GO THE BLUES!

(ps. I admit I am not a big football fan, but State of Orgine is about pride!!!)

Smokey
06-11-2003, 03:15 AM
so what does the corc' do ? Get to munchon the loosing team hahahhaha

Smokey

BlueTurquoise
06-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Smokey, you are mixing up State of origine Football with Steve Irwin! LOL

Tonight's game will be a BLUES victory!!! ;D

PS Did i ever tell you that Steve Irwin is my hero?? man that dude is one heck of a guy! If I were only half as enthusiastic and crazy as he is! ;D

Smokey
06-11-2003, 03:23 AM
HMMMMM - it all looks the same - a bunch of mud covered bodies wrestling a leatherily object .... hahahahha

Yea , we get to see steve occasionaly/ discovery channel. Now there is a fellow who is a few hops short of a kangaroo. hahahhahahhaha

April
06-11-2003, 03:27 AM
yeah also another maroon cane toad guy...Steve. my daughters hero. lol.
heres a nice pic...for those nice winners for this weekend.
look..hes even in maroon....and the canes can eat anything.

nalah
06-11-2003, 03:37 AM
only one thing to add to this ridiculous debate.

UP THE MIGHTY

nalah
06-11-2003, 03:40 AM
btw April... you're right. he does look a bit like the qld'ers.LOL

Smokey
06-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Hhaahahahahaa well definately "up something"!!!!
We really do not go for rugby too much , here in the west.

Cattle wrestling, yes; or is that cattle rustling. lol

Smokey

Mattzilla
06-11-2003, 05:14 AM
GO THE BLUES.. JOWEY JOHNS IS GONNA TEAR EM APART!!!!

nalah
06-11-2003, 05:49 AM
HMMMMM - a bunch of mud covered bodies.... and those tight little shorts

and why do you think i watch the games Smokeyhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif

Rod
06-11-2003, 09:13 AM
OK, you blues supporters from NSW, you won this round but we will be back for round 2. That you can count on ;)

April
06-11-2003, 09:41 AM
here you guys go..couldnt find a nice blue jersey to sit him on.....see Bass...ive being doing my homework on aussie slang etc . arent you proud of me? lol.

Mattzilla
06-11-2003, 09:41 AM
tell him he's dreamin......

you guys got flogged!!!!!

yeeeeee haaaaaa go the blues

Smokey
06-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Pirl, that looks more like a 'LIONS quarter back. lol...
even when I live on the west coast, I could not support such a "soggy " team .

Now - The "ESKIMOS" there is a team ...

As for a'l ya people down under; good luck with your ---- to quote pascale ---- "" HMMMMM - a bunch of mud covered bodies.... and those tight little shorts.... "" !!

Smokey

Serpae
06-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi guys and gals...............missed youuuuuuuuuuu's. :wave:

Finaly back, yay. :bounce: :bounce2:

Boy have things changed here. I have planned tonight to do my Simply Discus Readathon and catch up on all the goss............any sponsors feel free to donate, lol. Like WOW...........what has gone on since my last reading, hehehehehe. :yikes:

BlueTurquoise
06-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Hi Serpae!

GO THE MIGHTY BLUES!!! 25-12 and at their own stadium! hehehe

Now you'd can come down to NSW and we'll show you a big NSW reception by finishing the state of origin series in 2 matches! ;D ;D ;D

In the words of a wise impartial supporter "Sif QLD can beat NSW!" hehe

PS. My baby pigeons have started to lose their peppering! early days yet but I took a chance with peppered babies and it is starting to paying dividends!

April
06-12-2003, 12:36 AM
ok all you water experts..or anyone from broken hill ....
check out this post and tell him how his water is for discus.
i sent him over here...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=10387;st art=0#lastPost

welcome vranthis. :wave:

Vranthis
06-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Hi all,
Glad to find this site damn its good.

Are yes im in the process of seting up a 120g (4x2x2) Amazon tank, will be stocked with some discuss, a cacatiodies (sp?), some tetra, corys, and a few other things dont know what yet plus it will be planted.

Oh and i live around the corner from Darren (Serpae) who has moved to Mildura.

Cheers
Nick

So far i have worked out that the water here has a kH around 8 and gH around 8 if think could be wrong though (have been known to be on occasion)

nalah
06-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Hi Nick
I'd have a chat with Darren.see how he does things.
no matter what you decide,do regular water tests. if its anything like sydney,the water stats are all over the place,especially since this drought started. they add chems to the water here.and 2 x in the past 18 months,i have had serious problems with the water.
as a precaution now i filter my reservoir water thru carbon. no carbon in tanks.

Mattzilla
06-12-2003, 07:03 AM
pascale. does putting carbon on storage water realy help in taking out nasty chemicals?

do you add anything else like prime or salt to your storage water and if you do does the carbon take away their good chemicals?

does that make sense??

matt

Vranthis
06-12-2003, 08:13 AM
that carbon sounds like a good idea i have a 70l plastic bin that i was going to use for water changes

Smokey
06-12-2003, 01:35 PM
My suggestion would be to get a filter housing and use the cartrige style cabon filters.
Run the tap water through the carbon cartrige filter, first, while filling your storage container. Using a slower flow rate will give the water time to interact with the carbon cartrige.

Carbon is an amazing material. It has the ability to " ADSORB " many chemicals, and retain them.

IME; running my water, for the discus, through a carbon filter, or two hooked up in series, is a good idea.

A small investment for safe water !
HTH.

Smokey

nalah
06-12-2003, 05:34 PM
Hiya all.
yes,carbon will certainly do the job.but remember,you must replace it regularly.
and yes,i do add water treatment PRIME. other cheaper brands out there but this one IS the most economical.do the maths.nothing else is added Matt.except the heater ofcourse.LOL

so yes,i strongly recommend carbon for our water here.

saints27
06-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Hi guys
Once again go the Blues ,
You can take the man out of NSW but you cant take the NSW out of the man.

I also use Carbon in my storage water , I run it through a carbon cartridge filter when adding it and then it is pumped continuously through a canister filter filled with granulated carbon, the canister filter pumps 2000 L /hour and runs 24hours a day 7 days a week I just un hook the hose from the side of the tank and then use it to fill up tanks after water changes ( Its just one of the many things that the great Rod Lewis taught me)
Still havent moved everything ,Ive emptied out a few tanks and taken them down but im dreading the big move and just keep putting it off.

Jamie

BlueTurquoise
06-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi All,

The problem I found with using carbon is that if it is highly active carbon is that if you run too much carbon as filtration it produced carbonic acid, and since Sydney water is quite low buffering capacity, this equated to fluctuating PH.

In fact I used the stuff that you can buy in a box and bag it up yourself. It pretty effective and cheap, however the stuff is extremely reactive and I found that my PH went wild and ultimately was unstable. My fish started showing dark stress bands and basically it was just too much maintenance.

Now I only ever use it to remove medication from the tank as I think the carbonic acid added to the water also fools around with hardness as it is so good at removing minerals and other good and bad nasties from the water. All in all at the end of the day, plain tap water is still better and so much less hastle than having to filter it with carbon.

Also you REALLY have to be careful with replacing the carbon regulary.

Basically carbon just adds too much risk factor, esp for a laxy bloke like me!

JMHO

P.S. get out your test kits, test plain water, then test carbon filtered water and see what happens. After a few hours of airating the carbon filtered water, test the water again and it is yet another PH...

April
06-12-2003, 08:03 PM
yeah.chong..i read that the carbon would remove the minerals that i added from the af cichlid chemistry....last think i need.
i did however use a carbon block from the tap though before the storage container. then add the minerals.
bet my water is softer than yours...lol.

BlueTurquoise
06-12-2003, 11:31 PM
April,

Yeah perhaps it is. I hardly ever test my water anymore, don't think I've done it in the past year or so!

But I am sure that it is around 230ppm GH and KH of about 2-3 degrees, PH at almost perfectly 7, maybe slightl higher. That is pretty good for tap water i think...

Anyway I am not saying don't use Carbon, all i am saying is be aware i guess. I read WAY back, here on this forum regarding someone asking if they can use drinking water carbon filters (such as Britta Water filters) to filter discus water, and Al (or someone) told me about this carbonic acid thingy. I then went and tested water before carbon, after carbon and the ph change scared me. So being lazy and all i gave it up altogether. Toooo fussy for me :)

On a different note, my tank has never been cleaner! I spent a good 2 hours cleaning everything in my main tank, heaters, filters, scrubbed all surfaces, changed 80% water. It is SPARKLING! hehe (hey fish stuff relaxes me after a long day...) My fish love it! they are floating in air ;D

:)

yippy
06-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Has anyone heard if Ari has dropped the Bun? I might ring her today and see - she should of had the aby by now.
Kerry

April
06-14-2003, 07:28 PM
i heard...lol but think its them who ought to tell you..not the honourary new aunt in canada. lol. ;D 8) ::) :-X
but all is well...we;re just waiting for Them to turn their puter on and announce it .

April
06-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Ok everyone who has been inquiring about the new little aussie being born....go over here and see the pic etc. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=10150;st art=34

the little bundle has arrived safe and sound. mom dad and baby are all doing well. 8) ;D :balloon: welcome to the forum little baby Wheeler.

nalah
06-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Congratulations Ari & Scott
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/girlie.gif
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/g0/beer.gif

kenoz
06-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone. April sent me, so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ken, I live in Seaforth (Sydney) and have been in the "business" since about 1964. At the ripe old age of 12 I had goldfish, then guppies and platies in converted concrete wash tubs (anyone else remember those?). Those were the sophisticated days living in Yagoona (quite near Pascale's current residence I believe).

The last few years have been devoted mainly to koi in garden ponds. This is because we move every 2 years or so (we buy, renovate and sell old houses - this is #6 in a decade and won't be the last). However, having perfected water aging and moving koi and ponds along with the antiques (furniture, not just me) I decided it was time to get back into tropicals - more specifically discus.

My observation of changes in the 10 years since I last kept tropicals can be summarised in 3 words: amonium, nitrite and nitrate. I still have many books (Axelrod, Innes etc) with editions to the mid 80's where those words don't exist in the index! All we worried about was pH - and because Sydney water WAS that good, pH was always neutral to slightly acid, and very soft. I believe the water's changed to more alkaline lately simply because of the damage it was doing the to huge - aging - concrete pipe network. Anyway, now I know scientifically why we always had to perform regular water changes even if we had no idea of WHY then!

To stop from rambling, here is a photo of a 140 litre tank in my study. I'm using it to grow 6 7cm juveniles. I'm confused as to what they are. Both LFS (on different sides of Sydney suburbia) had them labeled as Marlboro Reds. I think the one on the lower right is a Red Turquoise and the others are Golden Pigeon Bloods. Others know better than I.

BTW - this is really a great forum. Before posting I read all 79 pages of Aussie Aussie Aussie 1 and all 15 pages of part 2 (yes, I know, business is slow and I had nothing better to do after doing yesterday's water changes).

April
06-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Ken. glad you did your homework and read all 79 pages and the new thread like i suggested. lol. now you can feel like you have met us all.
it just dawned on me..why the kenoz....now i getit...lol. Ken in oz right? good name.
your tank looks nice. and yes marlboros and could be rt. i will let someone else confirm it.
oh...im the "encourager" . i encourage others to get more discus and more tanks. lol . just ask Ari. bad influence.

kenoz
06-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Well, I'm encouraged! BTW all, last Friday I saw a pair of Marlboros in Parramatta for $600! Wasn't allowed to buy them, but we may have settled on another tank setup. ;D

BlueTurquoise
06-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Hi Ken,

Just a quick hello from me. Glad to have you with us!

Cheers,

Rod
06-17-2003, 04:44 AM
Hi Ken, welcome to the forum :)

Smokey
06-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the forum, Ken. good to have you aboard.

Lovely looking setup. Looks like you have spent alot of time on that tank.
WOW - 600.00 dollars seems like a lot of monies ! But, who am I to complain. lol.

Part of the philosophy, of this site is to encourage hobbists to breed and exchange discus amoung each other.

Put out the word ... you may be surprised .

smokey

Serpae
06-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Hay, welcome Ken, boy are you gunna have some fun on this site.

By the way, here is a little snippit to keep the rivalry going with you footballers, hehehehe.

Two boys in Brisbane are playing football when one of the boys is attacked
by a vicious Rottweiler.

Thinking quickly, the other boy rips a board off the nearby fence, wedges
it down the dog's collar, and twists, breaking the dog's neck.

A Courier Mail Press reporter hears about the incident and rushes over to
interview the boy.

"Young Lions Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal," he starts writing in
his notebook. But I'm not a Lions fan," the little hero replies. "Sorry,
since we are in Brisbane I just assumed you were," says the reporter, and
he starts again.

"Bronco's Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack," ! he jots in his
notebook. "I'm not a Bronco fan either," the boy responds.

The reporter starts again, "Maroons supporter risks life in heroic
rescue".

"But I'm not a Maroon fan either" says the boy.

"I assumed everyone in Brisbane was either for the Lions, Broncos or the
Maroons. What team do you cheer for?" the reporter asks.

"We are both from Sydney and I'm a Blue's fan," the boy says.

The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Little
Redneck Cockroach ******* Kills Beloved Family Pet."

GO THE MIGHTY MAROONS!

Glad I'm impartial.

BlueTurquoise
06-17-2003, 09:07 PM
HAHAHAHA very good Serpae! ;D

Serpae
06-17-2003, 09:16 PM
hehehehehe, I just couldn't resist. :P

taybelZ
06-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi Ken, you sure have found the place to be, welcome to the forums. :)

Hey Serpae where have you been? Been busy moving?
Have't seen you on a while... glad ya found it back :)

kenoz
06-18-2003, 05:26 AM
Just to prove I haven't been letting the grass grow under my feet whilst exploring the whole board, here's a 10cm turk (one of 4) in my community aquarium (not showing his magnificent colours due to being camera shy). BTW the big problem in a community setup is ensuring that the discus have sufficient to eat. I keep mine with some incredible congo tetras. I know they come from Africa, but I think they are closely related to the piranha family at feeding time.

As you can see, I am devoted to planted tanks (except for quarantine). For those with ponds, I threw out a truckload of Louisiana Iris in February. I'll post a message prior to doing that again.

April
06-18-2003, 05:31 AM
Kenoz...he looks like hes a snakeskin to me....or has the 15 bars anyhow. does he have lots of fine pattern on his gills?
unlessi cant count. but usually they have 9 bars counting tail and eyebar. so count his bars for us.

nalah
06-18-2003, 05:42 AM
Serpae - http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/boxing.gif LOL

Hi Ken - would love to see the whole tank.post a photo of it please.
congo tetras.love them. at least the discus dont chase them round the tank.LOL.problem is,they have a really good appetite and dont leave much for the slower folks.ie/the discus. so keep an eye on that.

I admire those that have planted tanks.they really look great.but i do not envy them when it comes to tank maintenance and wc - being there,done that...never again.LOL
btw,I agree with April. that liitle guy does look like a snakeskin.

enjoy the forum and keep posting.
ps/I'm in Belfield,sydney.
Pascale

kenoz
06-18-2003, 07:16 AM
Kenoz...he looks like hes a snakeskin to me....or has the 15 bars anyhow. does he have lots of fine pattern on his gills?
unlessi cant count. but usually they have 9 bars counting tail and eyebar. so count his bars for us.

April: He/she/they do have 15 bars (needed my glasses to check). I'm new to discus and need opinions; the more the merrier.

Pascale: You asked for it - here is the first picture of the community aquarium. The main tank is 140 litres and I've ordered the large size to replace it - I think 260 litres (well, I've already been divorced once - so one more time - please NOT). This isn't yet the greatest digital photography I'm afraid. I know a reasonably large amount about plants - aquatic and terrestrial so feel free to ask. Most of the driftwood came from Port Macquarie (Nobby's Beach - where you can walk your dog off a leash). The discus in this tank are my first foray. The platies and guppies flashing around were to cycle the tank, but they had babies (as they do) so I'm not allowed to return them to LFS as was the agreement. BTW - my second time around is French - also from New Caledonia. A lot of Franglais is spoken in our home.

nalah
06-18-2003, 05:48 PM
my husband is from there.and our daughter was born there also.
they are going to noumea around xmas to visit the family. i am staying here - too many fishies to care for.not to mention the cats,the dogs,the birds,LOL

we speak french at home also.i am from france but have not been back since 1969,so i'm a real aussie really.

your tanks looks brilliant. i'm too lazy to do planted tanks. too much work.maybe one day....

Serpae
06-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Hey there, yeah, finaly shifted in, well nearly. Will be in Melbourne this weekend, and hit the Hill again the weekend after with a little luck to get my Conure's and some other stuff. Fill the ute up once more, lol.

Finally bought a tank back with us last trip so I am getting ready to set it up. Waiting for a UG heater and some other stuff to arrive so I can start, boy do I miss my Discus!!!...............we have great water here in Mildura so I am looking foreward to one less headache.

Hey Pascale, can I go to Noumea since you are staying home.

kenoz
06-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Pascale: If you haven't been to France in 30 years, you won't recognise Paris, or Orleans or Lyon or... I have been lucky enough to visit probably 30 times in the past decade (mainly because I worked for Dutch and German software companies). I didn't know the Dutch were such big discus fans - none of my friends are (they don't grow tulips either). We were in Noumea in February this year - hot and sticky, and full of relatives as usual.

Today's question: has anyone tried automatic feeders? I found one in LFS which was battery operated and cost about $100! We are going OS next autumn for 4 weeks and my daughter will only be able to visit to feed and wc every 4-5 days. I don't mind leaving them for a long weekend, but any longer and I do get concerned. Those fish-feeder blocks IMO are a complete waste. My koi hate them.

Ken

SHAUN
06-19-2003, 12:09 AM
Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum. You won't be dissapointed with the plethora of wonderfully informative and knowledgeable teachers at this site.
I'm in Brisbane and into planted tanks ( thanks to Amano's inspiration), but bare bottoms for growout purposes. Enjoy the forum!

Shaun

luke_potts
06-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Hi all,
only just found this part of the site and its gr8 to see so many aussies w/ discus.
my name is luke and i and a teacher, i live in a small rural town near nsw/vic border, have had discus for a few years and am just starting to get into the breeding side of things.
I am also on the lookout for some pure red melon discus, fry inparticular. so if anyone in oz has some fry that they woulf like to sell plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz let me know.

Cheers
Luke

Serpae
06-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Hey Luke, welcome to the Aussie Possie. What is the name of the town you are in.

April
06-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Hi Luke...ok so you got here. great.
ok...im not an aussie...just a freezing cold canuck trying to find some heat. lol.
i have to keep these aussies under control. thats it......
actually i collect them and send them all here. hows that?
guess thats my job description.
well welcome. enjoy.
now...you need to go to aussie aussie aussie and read all 79 pages.then you will be sure to know every single aussie here.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=2348

Serpae
06-19-2003, 08:33 PM
April, I think you do a bloody good job of keeing us under control and rounding up all the straglers lol. ::)

nalah
06-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Ken
I lived in Baulkham Hills as a kid...now I only drive thru when visiting the relos. have you seen how the suburbs out that way have changed. so,NO! i would not recognise any parts of france. only part I'd be certain of is the eiffel tower in paris.LOL

Serpae - you wanna go to noumea. go for it. 95% of time is taken up by relos.and the 5% free is sitting in the car by the beach. cant swim really,its cyclone season. LOL.
besides,you'd miss your fishies.

Hi Luke and welcome. this is a great site.not only for the info but there are some great people here.

rickk
06-19-2003, 11:11 PM
Hi there,

I too have just found this site thanks to a post Luke had in another section. (thanks Luke)

My name is Rick and I live in Brisbane, Sunny QLD. I started with one 250LT tank (first ever) back in December of last year, I now have 18 tanks and over 40 discus, I guess you could say I got hooked. The car now gets parked out side.

I haven't looked through this thread yet but look forward to talking to you all.

Rick

April
06-20-2003, 01:24 AM
Hi Rickk..wouldve sent you here.but thought you knew all about it. lol
be sure to spend a weekend and read the last thread also....you have lots of catching up to do. theres a few people on here from Brisbane...