PDA

View Full Version : how to transport??

Mattzilla
05-05-2003, 07:16 AM
hi guys,
i'm moving houses in a couple of days and was wanting to get some advice on how to transport fish without causing them overdue stress. it's only a short move, about 20-30km away. i'm just looking for suggestions. eg. bucket or bag? all together or seperately?

you get my drift

thanks matt

Smokey
05-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Matt ... be sure you first have a cycled tank set up at your new place. [ok]-[I'm sure you have already thought of this]
Depending on how many discus and there size/age.

Smaller discus could be transported collectly in a 5 gallon bucket.

Larger adults . 5 gallon bucket/cooler type container ... only a few per container. No more than 4.

Half full of water ... this will give the discus 7 - 8'' of water .

When transporting in a vechile - have the vechile temperature up to warm/hot ... to minimize heat loss.

Cover the container top.

In such a short move, 1/2 - 3/4 hour - stress should be minimum.

Baging the discus - one discus per bag. !!!

Should be an easy move.

Smokey

Mattzilla
05-05-2003, 08:09 AM
thanks smokey...i'll give it a go and hope for the best. i have 10 small discus...only about 2-3" in size so i'm going to go for a large bucket with a lid.

cross your fingers and hope all goes well

matt
;D

Smokey
05-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Morning Matt; Yes a 5 gallon type bucket; 1/2 full of water will do fine.

Good luck on your move.

Hay, how about doing a story about your discus move.
It may be of interest to many others.

smokey

April
05-05-2003, 09:32 AM
I say two buckets 5 to a bucket. i did about 10 once..and not far and lost some. oxygen was gone real quick. i was told no more than 5. or.get a battery airpump. safer . as there will be time when you get there also for them while your getting ready. if you need to get stuff organized when you get there. plug an airstone or filter in on the bucket. i stuck my hydro in the bucket and plugged it in. a cooler would be good..as the water would stay warm and more surface area.
what kind of filter do you have? don't rinse your sponges for a bit i think. i just moved my aquaclears the way they were. im sure they wont lose too much bacteria in an hour.

Carol_Roberts
05-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Actualy there is less sloshing around in bags. You can fill the bags with room air from your air pump. Double bags work best, just enough water to cover the fish, one fish per bag. Put the bags in a bucket, box or cooler for transport.

paulmat
05-05-2003, 01:55 PM
I am a firm believer in transporting fish in bags. I have lost fish everytime I have tried the bucket method :-[
They are much safer in bags,one idiot hitting his brakes in front of you is all it takes for buckets of fish to go flying.
Go with the bags, it's more hassle but worth it ;)

Paul :guitarist:

mench
05-05-2003, 04:40 PM
I just put mine in the freezer and lay them flat...ya can stack them like playing cards in a box and it is a snap to move them.... ::)
Pril is right...5 to a bucket if ya don't want to bag them..
Good luck on the move

Mench

April
05-05-2003, 05:34 PM
yes bags are really best.but if big fish.which i know yours are younger..then youd have to have the heavy duty bags and three . as their real good at using their fins like weapons to break free.
i learn the hard way. i had no idea how fast fish can suffocate till i tried it.
yes ..stick the tubing in the bag with the airpump and pump the bag up. and practise your elastic tying. you might need the experience one day. its truly a talent...
let us know how it goes.

Mattzilla
05-05-2003, 06:50 PM
i'll stick to using the bucket or maybe using two buckets, and i'll have an air pump and heater waiting for us when i get there. it's only a very short trip and i'll take it very easy. i hope i don't lose any fish....

i'll keep you all updated.

matt

Fish_Fin-atic
05-05-2003, 10:47 PM
When I moved mine, I used the old styrofoam fishboxes that they were originally shipped in to transport the juveniles, and a couple of large coolers with lids for the adults. The secret is not to put too much water in. You should have just enough water to barely cover their backs. This means that your volume of water to air-exchange ratio is at it's highest, meaning you'll get more air in the water, and more importantly, Carbon Dioxide will leave the water faster.

No nead for heat packs, etcetera on such a short move. Even if the temperature fluctuates a bit, they'll recover just fine once you put them in their new tank. Also, keep a lid on the fish at all times, darkness will calm them down, and keep them from dashing around and hurting themselves.

If you want a cheap air pump that runs on batteries, just visit your nearest fishing supply store (assuming there are any in your neck of the woods) they sell them for anglers to keep their bait fish alive in the bucket. They work really well for longer trips. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. 8)

dshopper
05-05-2003, 11:02 PM
I have moved fish in buckets before and had no problems for up to a six hour drive. Three adults in one pail and two in the second. The only thing I would add is to use a garbage bag inside the bucket to protect the eyes of the fish. Good luck with your move.

Dwayne

RAWesolowski
05-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Matt,

I'm in favor of double bagging the fish with one in a bag. Place newspapers between the bags to minimize punctures from the fins.

AQ second caution is to withhold food for 24 to 36 hours. It will minimize ammonia problems if you have a little delay in getting the fish into the new tank...

Ounce of prevention...

ronrca
05-06-2003, 02:33 PM
I want to vote also! :bounce:

I like buckets for short trips, 5G pails the best, 1/4 full with water! Ive done it both ways, covering the pail and not covering! No difference except if you need to brake or the discus decide on seeing where they are going (they never seem to be able to jump back in the pail again. Have to train them better ;D )! For short trips, 02 should not be a prolbem not need to take the number of discus into account.

Always use prime (or other brand) to detoxic ammonia, sometimes double dose! ;)

Everyones experiences are different and its one of the most interesting aspects of this site. Ive had discus shipped from toronto with 02 despite being advised against it (I was pretty worried)! The seller could not get some so I took the chance! All the discus made it! Must of been 6-8hours in the little bags! Water was filled up just a little above the height of the discus (1.5" discus), the rest air!

Given the vast experiences, one has to choose a method that will work in his/hers opinion! At least its an educated decision! ;)

Smokey
05-06-2003, 05:45 PM
All methods will work. the most important issue - to keep the discus warm, minimize stress, and have the tank at the other end set up and ready to recieve them.

The disucs may need a day or so to settle in, afterwards. Heck, mine do not like to be bothered at all. However, when it has to be done, just take the time to be careful

The '' NOT FEEDING BEFORE MOVING'' is the best advice !!
Thanks Matt ... sometimes us ''oldtimers'' forget the simpliest of advice. lol

Ron, your time is coming ... when all those fancy discus you have one oreder - have babies and you have to start scrabling to find room for them.

Yes Ron; I can just see you trying to explain - to your wife - why you need her favorite spagitte pot. lol.

Smokey