PDA

View Full Version : does salted water harm eggs?

Patsy G
05-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Hello,
I understand that pickling salt is an effective treatment for many problems and have used it successfully (at 1 tbsp/5 gallons). I was told not to use it all the time, but only when the fish need a boost. However, I find that when I get them onto pure water, it's not long before something comes up and I'm salting again... As little time passes before I'm required to treat again with salt, I wonder if they would be better off maintained with 1 1/2 tsp/5 gallons all the time. Maybe the change stresses them?
My other question relates to how salt may affect their spawing success. My two females lay eggs on the same cycle, about every ten to twenty days. They haven't successfully hatched fry yet, but I know our day will come. If there is salt in the water, will this affect our chances for success? Thank you! Patsy

Carol_Roberts
05-06-2003, 12:32 AM
My understanding is that eggs wil hatch with a mild concentration of salt. Do you know the GH, KH and pH of your water?

discus_nw
05-06-2003, 01:56 AM
If you are constantly having to dump salt into your tank, you are treating a symptom and not fixing the cause. Your fish are telling you something. Discus ought not be kept in salt water constantly. They live neither in seawater nor brackish water in their natural biotope. :)

Mike_Selley
05-06-2003, 06:43 AM
This is just my very humble somewhat inexperienced opinion, but it seems to me bigger water changes without any salt have helped my discus as much as anything. On several occasions, I just forgot to add the salt with the WC and really couldn't seem to tell any difference-still major improvement in discus. Then again maybe they would have improved even more with the salt. If I had to choose though, I would definitely up WC everry time. :)

Patsy G
05-07-2003, 12:46 AM
I tested the water and got these results:
PH 7.4
GH 107.4
KH 71.6
We use well water here that tests PH 7 from the tap. I change 45% every other day and daily when they seem to need a treatment.
I agree with you, Mike, fresh water always gives a noticeable boost!
...sigh...upon looking real closely at them all the other day, I noticed that the smallest of the four and the only one that has had problems with hitchhiker parasites or any problems at all, really, also has enlarged pores on her face. She's about 4 inches, while the others measure about 6 inches long.

Carol_Roberts
05-07-2003, 01:52 AM
Fertilized eggs should hatch in your water.

05-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Hi,

you might want to take a look at this.

http://daah.info/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1797

alex