PDA

View Full Version : Spirulina Wafers?

GWdiscus
05-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Does anyone else feed spirulina wafers to their discus? I've read where people put spirulina power into their BH.

I give my discus their breakfast of BH when I first wake up, then about 45 minutes later as I am walking out I drop 3 wafers of spirulina by OSI into the water.

What I'm hoping is that the wafers are too hard to eat for a couple of hours but as time goes by the discus will pick at the wafers all day. This gives them something to do and its nutritious.

Any thoughts??

Francisco_Borrero
05-05-2003, 07:58 PM
The Spirulina wafers are, to a large extent, flour of various kinds: wheat germ, wheat, depending on the brand.

I never gave them wafers by themsleves, but I did add wafers to my BH mix, along with real powdered spirulina and other goodies. The wafers in the mix softened during mixing, and tended to blend in durng freezing.
They are not bad, but I wouldn't call them discus food just by themselves. On the other hand, largely herbivorous fish Uaru, Leporinus, Distichodus love those wafers just by themselves.
JTH. Cheers, Francisco.

Shari
05-12-2003, 01:34 AM
My Discus go nuts over these wafers, which I put in for the bottom dwellers - I've hears/read that they are good for Discus coloration also.

Nightowl
05-12-2003, 04:15 AM
GMW: OSI makes a food called nibblers which I find is good if you're going to be gone for a while. I believe it has more crude protein than the spir. wafers. J.

GWdiscus
05-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the update nightowl,
I'll look for the nibblers next time I'm in a LFS.

Nightowl
05-14-2003, 01:49 AM
Hey GMW, Its Nightowl again. Did some mini-research: OSI nibblers has 50% crude protein, the spir. wafers 37%. The nibblers do have spirulina, they both have soy protein. Seems that the spir. discs are the way to go because 85 gm. cost 4.50 & 15 gm. of nibblers cost 3.00! (packaging). I think I need a snack now... some cheesenips or something.... later :vanish:

GWdiscus
05-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Hey Nightowl,
Thanks for the research, but where are you get the cost from? My spirulina wafers cost about $7 USD.

Anyway, the reason I use the wafers is that I'm hoping that the wafers are too hard to eat right away and that the discus have something to work on during the day while I'm at work.

I'm too poor to buy an automatic feeder! :rolleyes: