PDA

View Full Version : starting new set up

jamie111
05-07-2003, 04:24 AM
I have a 45gal tank and am soon to get it started. I have never set up a planted tank for discus so need some advice. I’ve got the tank, stand and hood, filtration system, heater, lighting system, water chemistry test kit, drift wood, pure laterite, liquid fertilizer, substrate and discus trace, do I need anything else? What is the best combination of plants to use and what is the best setting up procedure to use?

It would be great if you could help
Thanks Jamie

ChloroPhil
05-07-2003, 10:08 AM
What kind of lighting and filter do you have?

A good hardy beginning assortment of plants would be:

1 Echinodorus bleheri -Amazon Sword Plant
6 Echinodorus tenellus -Pygmy Chain Sword (make sure it's tenellus)
4 Rotala indica
2 Ludwigia repens -Broad Leaf Ludwigia
2 Hygrophila difformis -Water Wisteria
4 Anubias nana
3 Microsorum pteropus -Java Fern
Wood to taste

The best suggestion I would make would be to measure the back length of your tank and divide it by 1.816. The result is what's known as the "Golden Intersection". It's the visual center of your aquarium and is where you want to place your centerpiece/focal point plant. If you choose to get an Amazon Sword that's the one you're going to want to use there. Also, make sure to give a few inches of space around the sword for it to grow out.

Other than that, enjoy!

jamie111
05-07-2003, 11:54 PM
I have an aqua clear 500 and a triple 36" lighting system

ChloroPhil
05-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Ok, you should be able to do alright with plants. You're going to need to turn your filter down all the way and inject your CO2 underneath the output overhang to get decent CO2 dissolution/retention.

The plants I suggested should be fine for your light.

Best of luck, take pictures!
Phil