PDA

View Full Version : Beef Heart Preparation

allan_mark76
05-07-2003, 02:51 PM
;DHello folks I was wondering how you all prepare your Beef Heart for your mixes. Is there any special way to prepare the nasty heart??? ??? Also how do you all go about cleaning it??? Do you boil it first or do you just blend it raw and add it to your mix. Basically I need ways to prepare this nasty stuff.

Thanks.

A- ;D

heavyp83
05-07-2003, 04:36 PM
i personally don't use beef heart, but mike wells has an awesome recipe on his website; www.adiscusdream.com

fishfarm
05-07-2003, 04:41 PM
It's just meat! What's nasty about that!. Wash it out and make sure there are no blood clots inside the valves, Trim off the hard cartilage, cube it up and grind. Don't cook it!! Mine and several other good recipes are in the Beefheart mix thread.

allan_mark76
05-07-2003, 05:20 PM
I'm basically looking for some techniques to clean out the heart much easier than the laborous ways that I've been doing it... i.e cutting, deveining, etc. Is there an easier way to clean this thing...

Thanks.

A- ;D

goldengatediscus
05-08-2003, 02:33 AM
I really recommend that you go to a good upscale supermarket that has butchers behind a meat counter, and order some veal hearts. You can call them to see if they will special order the veal heart for you. They are much easier to handle, about the size of your fist, lean, tender, and easy to clean. I paid 99c/lb for veal hearts last year, but I no longer feed heart.
Brigitte

allan_mark76
05-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Brigitte how come you don't feed heart anymore??? Just wondering....

BTW what's your number again???

A-

Fish Freak
05-08-2003, 05:33 PM
I got my local meat man to do the dirty work then put it in a bowl and mixed garlic and vitamin b 12. This is working very good for me and the discus love it!

Josh