PDA

View Full Version : Suit up and battle: wilds vs domestics

EthanCote.com
05-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok folks,

I was having a discussion with a friend and we were talking about the beauty of wild discus vs domestics ones. Which one is more beautiful.

I would like to pose this same question to you guys. I am curious to see the various response to this question.

Its a no holds bar battle. So lets duke this one out.

Cheerio,

Chi.

Jeff
05-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Now that is a personal question. For me it just depend on the two fish being compared. It doesn't matter to me. Beauty is beauty. ;D

ronrca
05-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Im very Jeff! I love both! Doesnt really matter, Wilds/domestic are beautiful! My taste I guess that determines it, certain colors/patterns/shapes/etc appeal to me better than others! ;) ;D

PS-Its almost like asking who is better looking, blondes/brunettes/redheads/etc! For males thats easy! The one with the biggest you know whats.......discus of course! What are YOU thinking of! LOL!

Kap
05-08-2003, 01:17 PM
It makes no difference to me- a beautiful discus is beautiful regardless of which source.

dred
05-08-2003, 01:25 PM
Gotta confirm most of Ron's ideas. Both types are absolutely gorgeous. So, the real differentiation is made by the apeal of the "suit" we dress them in.

In a biotypical environment (peat dyed water, driftwood, sand bottom, appropriate tank mates, planted ...) - I give the nod to the wilds. So if the environment is the feature - I generally favor the wilds.

But, in the tank which features the Discus - gotta appreciate the amazing hybrids available now. Wilds are just dull and boring in a bare bottom, under accessorized (unless you've got a fetish for sponges <LOL>).

brewmaster15
05-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Now Chi thats the very reason I have been spending so much time collecting Discus. Thats a very important question, but I can't answer it until I have a very large sample group in my possessive of both wilds and domestics. ;) ;D

I guess the real question to ask is...

Is there really a difference between wilds and domestics? Or all they all just Discus from a different water source?

Put a a MR next to a wild fully colored curipera
put a red turq next to a royal blue
put a f5 super rsg next to a wild RSG

pick your favorite, and I'll gladly have the other in my tanks! :)

al

but if you want my favorite... its the integration of wild +domestics

mikeos
05-08-2003, 03:01 PM
There all Discus, what more is there to say......

"Shall I compare thee to a summers discus.........." ;D

jeep
05-08-2003, 03:13 PM
I like most as long as it doesn't have peppering...

wall_o_fish
05-08-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm with you brewmaster (Al)! I like the wild x domestic crosses!

scott

Dennis_Hardenburge
05-08-2003, 04:50 PM
A nice fish is a nice fish, regardless whether it is domestic bred or wild.
But the wilds are definately hardier healthier fish.
Dennis

EthanCote.com
05-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Ok first off, I totally agreed with all the statements posted above, a nice fish is a nice fish, but you guys are like birds sitting on a fench ;D

Obviously each strain has their pros and cons but I'm just going to generalize things. Personally I find the domestic to be more beautiful. Looks at the variety of colour they are now available. So I guess I based discus beauty in term of colour. And in general, the domestics are much more colorful than the wilds. I know there are exceptions to every rule, for example, the wilds can just get as intense in colour during breeding and stuffs. But as a generalization, which one would you find more beautiful?

(Having said all that, I have to admit my experience with wilds are through magazines, online, in lfs and at a friend's place. So my information about wilds might not be 100% factual due to my limit experience with them.)

Now lets all step up to bat. Say you only have enuff money to buy 1 wild or 1 domestic, which one would you buy based on beauty and why? And don't go about telling me it isn't recommended to buy a single discus. :P

I'm really curious to see what percentage of people here lean toward wilds vs domestics.

Common folks, pick a side. Dare to be brave ;D

Cheerio,

Chi.

Carol_Roberts
05-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Domestics
Because I like the bright colors

EthanCote.com
05-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Woo whoo way to go Carol, you rock. ;D

Two for the domestics =)

Anyone else? ;D

Cheerio,

Chi.

ronrca
05-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Hey now! Ive seen wilds with 'bright' colors! ;)

brewmaster15
05-08-2003, 05:19 PM
It depends on whose Domestic fish it is.....If it were one of Jeff's Violet reflections, Cary' s blue snake skins, or Al Johnson's Red turqs,... Then I'd go with one of them)..Luv those fishes. Mike Hepners red mellons are another real nice looking fish. Otherwise I'd go with a really nice wild RSG, or curipera.

Point is it depends on alot--mostly on the source of the fish. , and besides that who ever heard of buying just one fish ;) ;D 6 weeks in QT by itself would be too stressful on it. What you need is the flexibility of a credit card! Thats the nice thing about debt. when you are in it deep, theres not much difference between owing lots and owing Lots ;D

-al

georgeeight
05-08-2003, 06:38 PM
I prefer the Natural Wilds like my women, just too much cosmetics these days ;D ;D ;D

ronrca
05-08-2003, 06:45 PM
ROFLOL! Good point! Im with you on that too!

wildthing
05-08-2003, 06:50 PM
There all Discus, what more is there to say......

"Shall I compare thee to a summers discus.........." ;D

"for thou art lovely and more tropical by far"

:)

DW

Paulio
05-08-2003, 11:23 PM
I love them all. Round or football, Red or Amber eyes make s no difference to me. They are all wonderfull! Thing is I cant seem to find a single domestic in my place? Wilds of all kinds but not a single domestic. I have always liked the "Natural" form of a fish over any hybrid. You should have been there when I saw my first P. Altum in person :o Ragged and nasty and at home with me straight away ;D You have no idea how many times I was told "Its just an Angelfish" by a non fish geek friend. Ok, Im rambling. Check the wild box after my name.

Paul

ReeferKimberly
05-11-2003, 02:58 AM
hands down domestics!

but you will find many a tefe swimming in these parts, they seem to flock to me and no one knows why ??? ;)
kimberly :-*

Zackie
05-11-2003, 12:30 PM
An anology on a grand scale would be like comparing the Las Vegas strip to...say...Grand Teton...Grand Canyon...Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore... You get the idea. Wilds in a heavily planted tank FOREVER!