PDA

View Full Version : Swimming With Open Gills

Jaie
05-08-2003, 11:39 PM
I would like to know if anyone has ever seen this symptom. The 6" snakeskin swims around with gills continually open halfway. Appetite appears to be normal but his color is a little darker than normal. Is this a bacterial or worm infection?

Upon noticing this symptom yesterday, I gave a 50% WC, started with salt treatment (5 tbsp per 10 gallon), administered Formalin, raised water temp to 92F and added extra aeration. Can anyone tell me what is causing this open gills symptom so I can treat properly? I have Metro, Prazi, and Maracyn available. Thank you for any assistance.

Tank size 20 gal ( one other discus in the tank).
Temp 84 raised to 92 yesterday
TDS 60 raised to 120 yesterday
No nitrite, nitrate, NH3/NH4
25% daily WC
1 Sponge filter model IV filtration.

Food: CBW, Tetrabits, Hikari BW
Normal feces (not white)

Ardan
05-09-2003, 06:21 AM
Hi,
I don't know if or what the problem is, but using formalin at high temps is not advised as the O2 levels really drop drastically. Use formalin at around 85F at most.

Is the fish scratching a lot? or breathing hard or out of only one gill?

hth

Jaie
05-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Ardan. I have stopped using formalin for now and kept the temperature high. I'll treat for bacteria first and I'll treat for worms later. The fish is doing better with just the salt treatment and Maracyn.

The fish was not scratching or breathing on one gill so I suppose that would eliminate possible fluke or gill worms.