PDA

View Full Version : FERTILIZING

Lee Discus
05-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Hi all

i have a stange question

is it possible for a breeding pair female to lay her eggs but the male not fertilize her eggs as she is laying them but he fertilize the eggs right at the end whhen she is finished?

if this is possible....how much time dose the male have if he decides to start fertilize the eggs after she has finished laying for the eggs still to hatch?

thanks

Lee

discus_nw
05-09-2003, 10:49 AM
The most of the eggs will have hardened by the time a female is done spawning preventing the sperm from penetrating the egg casing. I have read where the male has about 30-60 seconds to fertilize the eggs.

Smokey
05-11-2003, 02:37 AM
From my personal observatiosn; the female lays down a row of eggs and the male follows behind and fertilizes that row of eggs; sequence is repeated until the female has finished laying eggs.

Smokey

ReeferKimberly
05-14-2003, 01:57 AM
i had almost the same question about my pair's first spawn today. the female would make about five passes b4 the male would go over once, then the same thing again and again. they ate the eggs four hours later so i don't know if any of them were fertilized, a couple more spawns, they will get better.
kimberly :-*