PDA

View Full Version : Breeding White diamond/White butterfly ?

shootingstar
05-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

I just brought home couple days ago a white diamond-white butterfly or white pigeon. This is the pair that I bought from Rich who had bought them from Cary a week ago. They are nice and white, the female is smaller about 6 inches and the male is 7 inches, they are still trying to adjust to the new environment. Well basically I am just trying to prepare to get them breed so I need alot of input from the great on Simply.

My questions : Are they hard to breed ? Anyone has any experience breeding this type ? I see Frank/fcdiscus has a similar pair too.

thanks

fcdiscus
05-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Hey Steven! My Whites are very young, and smaller than yours. They have spawned 5 times in their own tank. Twice- there was a small amount ow wigglers, and no attachment. Twice there were no wigglers at all. The most recent spawning yeilded about 100 wigglers, and this morning I saw a couple attached to the fathers back. I do nothing special with them, but this last time I did remove the spawning cone after they went free-swimming. I also use a white spawning cone for them so that the babies learn what color to look for. Frank

allan_mark76
05-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Can you guys post some pixs of your beauties????

A-

shootingstar
05-16-2003, 10:44 AM
My white diamond pair just doesn't want to spawn ! it's been 2 days ( actually 2 nites ) I have seen them cleaning the pvc breeding cone but nothing has happened yet, look like the male is trying to get the female going, he swims up and down cleaning the cone to make the female notice then she comes and cleans the cone a little bit and that's it. I am just curious that how long does it take for them to spawn ? or may be the female is not ready or should I put in another female ?

afick1975
05-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Just give them time Steven they are still settling in.

Andre ;) ;) ;)

Tyler
05-16-2003, 12:29 PM
If they spawn in two days that would be a record! Be patient with them....could very easily take a couple weeks to get a spawn and maybe longer for viable fry.
Good luck and congrats on the new additions!

Tyler

fcdiscus
05-16-2003, 01:22 PM
They must be no good! Want toship them to me? LOL-jk, Frank ;)
P.S.-PATIENCE!

shootingstar
05-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone

I have had them for 9 days not 2 days ago, I know I have to be patient and leave them alone.

one of the thing that I have noticed that they don't like the white light ( the regular aquarium light ) even I covered most of it. I replaced with one of the small yellow bulb and I have left it on ever since, it stays on 24/24. should I turn it off before I go to sleep ?