PDA

View Full Version : Help -- Rose red headstanding

Barb Newell
05-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Any suggestions would be appreciated. :'(

For no apparent reason, rose red just started headstanding. She's been doing it since Wednesday night. I added epsom salts and Kanacyn (double dose). She was eating, seemed very healthy, spawning regularly......
She doesn't appear to be too bloated and the only thing she has passed with the epsom salts is one strand of white mucous string-like poop. Does hex cause head standing? She's breathing slowly, colour good.

9 or 10 days ago I moved rose and and SS from the community tank to their own tank and started adding ro/tap mix (20% daily) to their tap water. All was well for a few days then she started this. The ONLY thing she did was eat some of her eggs that had a lot of fungus on them. I don't know if that would do this or not. Snakeskin is in the same tank, he's fine.

Thanks

Barb

Ardan
05-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi Barb,
COuld also be an internal worm or hex causing blockage. I think you have taken a reasonable first step. I think I would treat for hex first.
If you could examine the feces for hex or worms it might help determine the which (many fish have some hexamita in the digestive tract anyway, but it could have gotten out of control)

hth

Barb Newell
05-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi Ardan, thanks. Do you think I can treat with metro and kanacyn at the same time? The poop that came out of her was white, slimy like, as Carol described, snot. I've seem dropsy poop, it is yellowish.

Barb

Ardan
05-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi Barb,
I have never mixed the two??
I think hex. Dropsy for me was more green/yellow. Hex white, capillaria white/yellow.

hth

Carol_Roberts
05-11-2003, 02:16 AM
Epsom salt and kanacyn didn't work . . . . :-\

Let us know if you find something that does.

Barb Newell
05-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi Carol, no epsom salts and Kanacyn didn't work.

I have her in metronidazole now, she's still head standing and is passing white stringy poop.

Barb

allan_mark76
05-13-2003, 10:11 PM
B_Newell ... How's your Rose Red doing??? Is it better??? Well please update me as I'm feeling really sad for her.

A- :'(

CARY_GLdiscus
05-15-2003, 01:13 AM
I hear she's doing better allen ;D

Jeff
05-15-2003, 01:17 AM
Carys back on the job. :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

CARY_GLdiscus
05-15-2003, 01:53 AM
Jeff,
Thanks for the Help while I was gone ;D

Barb Newell
05-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Allan, I IM'd you :)

Barb

allan_mark76
05-15-2003, 12:13 PM
B-Newell I'm glad to hear that she'd doing good....I don't know what I could of done to handle that kind of stress.... So what was the prognosis from Cary just in case I run into that problem.

Thanks.

A-

CARY_GLdiscus
05-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks Allen,
But it was not me it was barb and this Forum working as a team that helped rose red ;D

Barb Newell
05-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi, here is a recent pic of rose red, she's a little under the weather, a little worn out. Good news, she is no longer headstanding :bounce: and has improved a lot. Unfortunately she is still pooping out canary yellow goop. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will make it.

Thank you to all on the board who, once again, pulled together to help me. You are a great bunch!

Al (Brew) ...... thank you, thank you, thank you. I have bugged Al every day since rose red got sick (every day!), I call him, IM him, email him......... he stays patient, offers excellent suggestions, and is very supportive. If not for you, I think she'd be dead. Thank you Al.

Rose red is a special fish because she is a gift from Cary :). She is one of the 7 fish that Cary gave to me as a gift (like xmas) after I lost all of my discus to horrid worms last year. All 7 fish have grown to be very beautiful, strong fish. Cary makes good fish!!!!!! (I can't kill them ???) Cary, thank you for all of your support and help!

I will post her progress (hopefully).

Barb

CARY_GLdiscus
05-16-2003, 02:15 AM
Gee Wiz Thanks Barb,

What a very nice post! Me and brew like to see this. I know that Brew and Me would love to see and Help more people like You.
Cary Gld!

Miles
05-16-2003, 02:48 AM
AWESOME!!
Now this is what Simply is all about!

Miles

brewmaster15
05-16-2003, 12:03 PM
well I just got that warm fuzzy feeling... aw shucks Barb thanks!

-al

ps Cary... ain't that the truth! :)