PDA

View Full Version : No cheep discus

ALFO13
05-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey everyone.

I am new to this site. My friend just got 5 discus (I forgetwhat kind) and i really like discus. The thing is i don't really have the money. I would only be able to buy like one or 2. But i would rather have like 4-5. I was just wondering if there is any nice discus(actually they are almost all nice but.....)that wont cost and arm and a leg. LIke my budget isn't to high and i would need like some of the cheepest i could get. Got any hints or ideas? ???

Fish Freak
05-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Well alex Id say do what I did buy from clubine and Just save for a while like I did. Remember to ask alota questions on the site and best of luck.

Josh

Ps your buddy from down the street. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Freak
05-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Also another possibility is buy small and do lots of water changes. I would talk to clubine and see what he says.

Josh

ReeferKimberly
05-11-2003, 02:53 AM
you sound like me, i'm sixteen and make min. wage, yuck. trust me though, if you start with discus you wont be able to stop. in the end, it's not the cost of the individual fish thats a problem, but the equipment and maitenence that comes with (at least for me). also, i would not reccomend starting with discus by looking for the cheapest, sure, they are great in the beginning but in the long run you will no dought want higher quality fish and will get dissapointed with the cheap runt fish that fish stores sell (not all, but many, there is always one that turns out great). this is just my personal experiences, i found out it is much better, and eventually less costly to start with better fish....this way you wont spend maitenence money on crappy fish and have to go out and buy higher quality when you realize that's what you want. just my .2$
kimberly :-*

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanx guys. But i still have one question. what kinds would be best for a new guy like me that would be hardy and not to expensive

Alex

mitch1313
05-11-2003, 12:03 PM
I hav heard that brown discus are the least demanding. not that you can put them aside and slack off with the w/cs, but for starters, i think that would be your best bet.

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 12:17 PM
So you think that i should just get some brown discus. Alright sounds good but do you no where i could get them and how much they would be? ???
Alex

Tyler
05-11-2003, 12:22 PM
I don't agree......what makes a brown discus tougher. A wild brown? A domestic brown?
Theres no discus you can just go out an buy for 5 bucks and each and do water changes once a week. It doesn't matter which strain.....believe me, it's all the same.
Alex,
If you are serious about discus, you should save up some money and make sure to buy healthy fish from the start. Discus take a lot of time and money....no way around it. So if you aren't ready for that discus may not be the best fish for you.

Tyler

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 12:27 PM
I no that i can't go out and by discus for like 5$ i am just saying i don't have alot of money and that i would like some that are healthy and remotely cheep i am not just gona buy the cheepest thing i can find. I have had and bread diferents kinds of fish since i was like 5-6. I no not to buy the cheepest fish. The most expensive fish that i have bought was 20$ and then the food. I no i am gonna have to pay more than that for my discus unless if find a super good deal. But i am also not going to go out and buy a 50-100$ discus. And also where could i get some brown discus?

Alex

Rick00
05-11-2003, 12:33 PM
I would look for someone who breeds them localy....i found some for ten bucks and he's one ofhmy favorite fish.....

there might be some members who live close by to u.....ask around

good luck

Rick

Ryan
05-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Regardless of the color variety, a discus is a discus. Yes, some types are a little more delicate than others, but mostly they are all the same. Good hardy strains also include turquoise, red turquoise, pigeon bloods, cobalts, wild crosses (my F1s from Al were awesome!), etc. I don't think browns are the only hardy discus available, and I don't think most people breed browns on a large scale.

Ryan

Mr. Limpet
05-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Alex, I agree with Rick. If you can find a local breeder, they might cut you some slack for enthusiasim. Your also better off when you start with fish that were raised in the same water that you have, if you can find them. Good luck, Paul.

Fish Freak
05-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Well I think everyone has put in a good descusion and I am relitivly new at this but arnt all discus similar in there demands? Well alex there is a guy in the city I do buisness with and im sure he would be happy to sell you some fish. Right now he has some nice 1.5 right now and he has many variaties to choose from. Or you can do what I did and buy bigger fish and have less trouble. Good luck

Josh

ALFO13
05-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Hey josh

I would rather do the work to raise them myself and maybe nock of a few bucks rather than pay more and do bit less work for a couple weeks/months. But anyway let me no when you are going in to get the rest of your discus cause i would like go in with you and purchase a few

nalah
05-11-2003, 10:27 PM
all good points,but i agree with Kimberly

start with one...end up with 20. its addictive.LOL. and not just the discus.its the ongoing costs. i dont think you can do discus on the cheap. cheap fish will only end up costing big bucks in the long run.

Fish Freak
05-11-2003, 10:39 PM
well I am going in in a month so you can come just talk to dave and see what he can do.

Josh