PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for painting bottom of tank

Very Fishy
05-12-2003, 02:25 PM
What suggestions do people have for painting the bottom of my tank. What type of paint is best to use? and what colour is best for the bottom. Right now I have a royal blue background on the back of the tank.

ronrca
05-12-2003, 03:39 PM
I used the regular latex flat paint found in most hardware stores. Color is preference! I like light colors with some resemblance to water like light blues/greens!

05-12-2003, 03:46 PM
I just grabbed whatever all purpose spray paint was on the shelf at home depot, dont remember the brand off hand, just gave the outside of the tank a quick spray.

"Spa Blue" 8)

Smokey
05-13-2003, 04:33 AM
My suggestion is .... don't.
Place the tank on a piece of blue 1'' rigid styrofoam.
For the back, use the same.

Benifits ... reduces heat loss
reduces vibrations
cheap
easy to change
easy to keep clean

sorry, MPE

Smokey

brian p
06-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Why don't you just get a piece of colored 1/8" thick acrylic cut to the proper size and submerge it. That way, you have the option of easily changing the color.

Brian

daninthesand
06-14-2003, 08:11 PM
I recently painted the bottom of an 80 gallon with a spray can that had that pebble look to it. From home depot. Sort of a beige color with black and grey specks. All in one can. Kinda looks like sand, and has a natural look to it. I like to be able to see the bottom as opposed to the mirror look you get if there is air under the glass.

Daniel

Richman
06-15-2003, 12:02 AM
I'm with Smokey on this one. I use the blue styrofoam insulation. Get it at Lowes. Around here Home Depot only has pink. You don't have to paint, and you get the benefit of insulation and it also serves as a cushion for leveling your tank.

Smokey
06-15-2003, 02:52 AM
Right on , buddy !!!

Smokey