PDA

View Full Version : How often do u do your tests ?

angel12
05-12-2003, 02:38 PM
ok general question here folks how often do you test for ph ammonia nitrite nitrate and other nasites i havent mentioned also why do you do this and what can you learn from testing these parameters

just a quick note as some people seem to test more than others...

:)

05-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Never...... Only two tests.... conductivity - and PH (for experimental purpose)..... With discus if you have to do these test... I believe it is time to switch to a different species... :P :P

Carol_Roberts
05-13-2003, 01:24 AM
I test for ammonia in new tanks or if I've moved fish to make sure I've not overstocked.

Periodically I test pH, hardness and conductivity in breeding tanks. (Some pairs won't even try to lay eggs in my pH 7.8, GH 11 water while others have gotten a few wigglers)

The only time I test for nitrItes or nitrAtes is during a fishless cycle (when ammonia is coverted to nitrIte and then nitrAte you've cycled your filter,

Smokey
05-13-2003, 04:11 AM
Good question - I have been been keeping track of all numbers since day one, Sept. 02.
I test the pH, gh, kh, and most importantly - the NITRATES.
NITRATES dayly.
My pH, gh and kh stays pretty consistant. Test every 3rd day.
Ammonia and Nitrites - well, even after a very heavy feeding ; are non detectable. I do not generally test for them any more.
It is the NITRATES that are a cause for concern. I test for nitrates twice a day. 3ppm is an indicator that a water change is overdue.

Rod
05-13-2003, 05:00 AM
I test for ph each day but normally only in the water treatment tanks, the discus tanks are tested weekly but rarely alter with the amount of waterchanges i do. For new setups its a good idea to test daily for ammonia and nitrite, but as the biofilters mature this becomes less nessasary.

I check my tapwater for conductivity weekly just to see if it has altered and test the ro water occasionally to check the effectiveness of the ro membrane. Don't normally test the conductivity in the tanks as it is preset in the treatment tanks before water changes.

HTH

angel12
05-13-2003, 08:05 AM
em conductivity what is this ? and how do you measure it .. sorry if its a bit of a daft question I have read about it but what exactly is it and how as above do you measure it and adjust it

:)

Dennis_Hardenburge
05-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Conductivity is a measurement of water hardness with an electronic meter.
I check conductivity and PH on water mixed for breeders and very young fry.
Other than that never check anything.
Dennis