PDA

View Full Version : Pairs first time

JESABELL
05-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi all

A pair of turks have spawned for the first time in a community tank consisting of 4 turks and a blue snakeskin.
The eggs are all white and covered with fungus, my question is should i remove the dead eggs or leave them in the tank. The parents are taking it in turns to protect them.
Will they just get the message on there own and try again or will it slow them down from trying again?
Is this normal behaivour?
I didnt expect any miricles for a first spawn but if it is at all possible i would like to move them on to the next spawn.

Thanks for your time to read this thread.

All the best

JESABELL

discus_nw
05-12-2003, 08:59 PM
I would just remove them if I were you. :)

Carol_Roberts
05-13-2003, 01:33 AM
. . . or you can let nature take it's course. I bet you are excited to watch what happens. Unfortunately with your young pair in a community tank there is little hope of wigglers.

If you really want to try to raise some fry the pair will need to have their own 29 gallon bare tank with a sponge filter, heater and clay pot. Your discus may need several attempts before they produce babies. You may want to add something for the fungus . . is it Maroxy?

Lol, Your discus will not be psychologically damaged if you remove the fungused eggs . . in fact they will spawn again sooner . . .

JESABELL
05-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi all

Just returned from work to find that they have eaten the eggs so it has saved me a job.
I am in the proccess of cycling a new home for them at the moment it has only been running for three days so i have a little way to go, but hopefully in the near future they will start over again. I cant wait it was very interesting watching them spawn and a nice bonus is that i know i have a male and female. Roll on the wrigglers ;D

Thanks for the info as i had no idea what to do.

All the best

JESABELL

Carol_Roberts
05-13-2003, 06:40 PM
To instantly cycle a tank move some of the cycled filter media from the old filter into the new filter . . . . or move a cycled airdriven sponge from the old tank to the new tank

ReeferKimberly
05-13-2003, 08:25 PM
yay i bet you feel like me!!! i have my first spawn happening as i type, good luck with yours!!
kimberly :-*

JESABELL
05-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Hi All

I think i have got a pair of spawning maniacs the first lot were eaten so i didnt do anything diffrent and within four days they did it again, more eggs this time and most were brown looking and they went the same way as the first, so i moved them into their new home and they have done it again :o, i cannot believe it, i have now named them eager and beaver. Will they continue to spawn at this rate or will they slow down as they get more mature?
I hope they do as ive already seven tanks running at the moment and fast becoming out of space.
Who would believe that keeping fish could be so rewarding, i think it should be called aqua theatre.

All the best

JESABELL